I wouldn't go that far Olli - its fairly iffy in places.  More a case of looking right than being totally accurate.  Quite enjoying trying it out.  Had a horrible thought today that a Nimrod wouldn't be a lot more complex, just bigger.

Jeez......the world has gone mad.............and I thought you 1/48 guys were getting all the kit makers' attention nowadays.................

good luck with this one bar side............I am peeping with one eye slightly open..........................

cheers, Adrian

5 minutes ago, adey m said:

good luck with this one bar side............I am peeping with one eye slightly open..........................

Well Adrian its partly your fault.  I saw a nice Dominie on your diorama & thought that would look good on my 1/48 diorama, but you can't buy one......

• Like 1

Had a go at scratch building an instrument panel & a couple of seats.  These are the seat frames before getting a card 'cushion' on it & some black tape belts

iuVbc8A.jpg

I made the window frame up with some strips of card to give a nice level surface for the glazing.

Balanced it all together & put on the plastic version of the cabin roof & the first template of the front glazing.  Its not a great for but gives me a template to cut the next version around.

Ey23nPn.jpg

Now none of this can really go together as this is only the Mk.1 body, but the new clear tube arrived today!

66KZc8E.jpg

Its not bad - only about 1mm narrower than the current on, so can hopefully sand down the back to a smoother fit.  The front looks to be ok.  Need to build the interior then things can get stuck together.  Bit scared to cut the tube down now!

Edited by bar side
  • Like 8

This looks great and is coming along very quickly. Was thinking about the glazing; another possible approach would be to telescope a clear tube into the inside of the existing fuselage shell. Anyway, looks like you have it under control- am watching with great interest.

Just now, Paul J said:

Will there be room for some nose weight as with all that stuff at the back... well  ......  it looks like a tail sitter at the moment

The tails is still hollow so not too heavy & the main wheels do sit quite well back, but i did bury lead in the nose & there is a bit more room if needed.  Bit worried about the engines though - will try & keep the weight down on them too.

3 minutes ago, Reconcilor said:

This looks great and is coming along very quickly. Was thinking about the glazing; another possible approach would be to telescope a clear tube into the inside of the existing fuselage shell. 

Trouble is the white tube is too think (about 2-3mm) to glaze from the inside and cutting a section to drop in would mean blending around it - probably easier to blend in the joints at either end instead.  Might change my mind though if it doesn't cut well.

• Like 1

Well the tube cut ok - now have a clear centre section!  I added some extra weight in to the wheel well at the front & took the chance to sit it on a pen & check the centre of gravity.  Seemed ok so I stuck two AA batteries where the engines will go & it still sat nose down, so I hope it will be OK

cjuSZrQ.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 9

I really hope that the size change can be overcome and let it still be close enough in scale

It looks stunning already, a fabulous concept build and you are getting the basics right from the start  :thumbsup:

marvellous bird, I love it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, perdu said:

I really hope that the size change can be overcome and let it still be close enough in scale

To be honest most of the rear gap will fill & any extra size will be lost on to the bottom of the wing & where that blends in to the fuselage.  Looking forward to getting the inside done & then seal up the body, getting on the cockpit canopy.  Then get the wing root and some wing spars in.  Going to have to think about getting some scribed lines on too.

• Like 3

trying out a centre wing section to bond to the bottom of the fuselage.  I suspect that the wing sits right up to the bottom of the tube so I tried a recess in the centre - looks ok to me.  Plan to put two metal spars running through to fix the outer wing perks to

ldu0Ja5.jpg

The wing has a large bulge ahead of the wing under the forward fuselage.  This is to the plan I have but looks small compared to the real thing. Just a paper template at the moment

8lT3eDu.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Looking good.

I like the batteries stuck to the sides!

Well they are heavy enough & not far off the right size!  Was quite surprised that it didn't sit back on its tail

• Like 1

Today's update - the previous photo has the mock up wing stub in card.  I have now made this up in plasticard and fitted a metal spar.  The cardboard came from an old suspension file and the metal came from the edge of the file.  But if flexibility to bend it up to give the wings the right lift towards the tips

ueZSL2H.jpg

Need to have a think about how I bond it to the tube - probably go for normal plastic cement as the card melts pretty well.  Then lots of building up the wing root and the area in front of the wing.  This seems to vary on different versions so must have a look at pictures of the prototype.

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, perdu said:

It is looking good

These are the moments I wish our Debs was still around to give aid, succour and speculation with an airframe she knew intimately

Yes, I was pondering the linkage between the flaps that joins them with a shaped bar.  I remember Debs covering that in some detail.  Thinking I will have to model them closed without that kind of detail 

• Like 1

Well it was this linkage (from the walkaround section on here) 

Dominie-0031.JPG

Looks like it drops vertically down from the airframe. However, not many photos of Dominies show them standing with flaps down, so could get away with them being up

• Like 2

Wheels are very possible own brew items anyway, I've done it often

Aren't you bothering because it is that "I need to scratch it" itch?  ;)

You know us lot, we'll all be here in support if you actually need it

I don't think you will

Most wheel well details are seen in the walk around if my memory serves

enjoy

like we will

• Like 1

Right, spar moved forwards & approximate wheel wells opened up.  Still room behind for the flap linkage bar if I do it, but quite a bit of strengthening needed around the wheel wells.  Also, might need to cut though to the other side of the wings for enough depth for the double wheels.  Also, found a couple of un-used tornado front wheels and a spare phantom front leg - think they will do ok up front

VdkXQME.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 4

just a heads up.  You might want to try out your glue on some scrap styrene and a piece of scrap tube to make sure it bonds okay.  Always worth trying out with new materials.

The last thing you want is to smother it in glue and then find it doesn't bond.

• Like 1