This is Italeri's Bell Sioux model (US Army release) modified to represent a Westland Sioux of the Dieppe Flight, Air Troop, 40 Cdo Royal Marines,  operating out of Sembawang Air Base, Singapore, 1968.  

wpd1e49e24_05_06.jpg

Italeri do issue a British Army variant of this kit, but this was a US one, so I had to do a few small mods.  The landing skids aren't quite right, and the radios behind the fuel tanks are a little small, but otherwise I hope I've captured it.  I added said radios, paper seatbelts, the small blade antenna and ground plane, plus the whip aerial on the tail. Decals come from my spares box.  

wp79a8188e_05_06.jpg

I've seen an etch replacement tail boom for this kit, but quite honestly the kit parts seem good enough for me. They are a little fiddly, but the only real issue I had was aligning the engine - although it doesn't really show, I think mine is at too much of a slant forward and I'm not sure where or if I went wrong. 

wpa39f55e7_05_06.jpg

wp8eda4280_05_06.jpg

wp0a2fbd97_05_06.jpg

wp1b95dafa_05_06.jpg

FLY NAVY B)

FredT

Edited by gengriz
Images moved from Photobucket
  • Like 39

10 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

Nice one! Not seen one of these built before - must be tiny!!

I always mean to put some sort of scale to these smaller builds and always forget; so here's a penny for comparison!  

WP_20170210_002_zpsmruyfs35.jpg

• Like 6

Nice one! I've built one before and the engine looks as slanted as yours is, so either we both did the same things wrong or it's just how Italeri meant it to be.

Anyway, I've been meaning to build another in the markings of a British example from Malaya/Borneo and yours build gives much needed inspiration.

Well done.

I really like that Sioux,  Fred. And so refreshing to see a model built using the bits that come in the box too instead of resorting to aftermarket bendy metal bits.............

Adrian

Edited by adey m

Very slick build! I have a special heart for the Bell 47 type, since it was the first helicopter I was airborne in, as a budding film cameraman in 1969…

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-j8m_fsmqPRbVZRTFRRX2phYjA

Say what you want – in reality, that tubular tail structure is so delicate looking that it is impossible to injection mould it, even to 1:48th scale. The only solution is to scratch the tail from brass or alu tube. I'm still hesitating if I should really start a project like that, in 1:48th…

Elegantly finished '47!

Kind regards,

Joachim

PS In spite of inserting a picture should be so simple (!), the automatic system doesn't seem to like a google drive image. So, if you want to see the tail structure, you'll have to click the link. Sorry! I just read through the whole 'How to post images' thread and apparently the URL has to end in ".jpg". But Google Drive apparently doesn't work like that and that's where I keep my images, so…