Special Hobby Nieuport 10 Two-seater

Just finished the 1/48 Special Hobby Nieuport 10.  Use the kit's decals, rigging done with ceramic wire and fishing line.  Added the hole in the top wing for the observer to get access to a machine gun mounted on the front spar with the exception of the prototype photos in the Datafile and a few books I can't find where the MG was ever mounted here on the production types.  The hole shows up in a number of photos of the aircraft in service so I added as I wanted an early war Nieuport.  Lots of discussion on various web forums as to th color of the tapes on the fuselage and wings.  Some say black, brown with the latest theory being in the blue-gray camp (same color as the Adrian helmets) so throwing caution to the winds I went with the blue gray.  I initially laid down  an Amtrak blue (Microscale) on the wings and then brush painted to blue gray over the top.  I then got the idea of painting the blue gray on the decal sheen and cutting out the tape - which worked out perfectly (but needed Walthers Solvaset to get the decals to lay completely flat).  Castor oil staining done with water based oils.  Same with the mud on the tires and under the wings.  I do have a 'work in process' on this subject if interested.  

IMG_3814.jpg

fullsizeoutput_82a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_828_1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_814.jpeg

Edited by cduckworth
added photo
  • Like 16