Belle of Lagos - trading barque

Thanks, the rigging is the easiest part.     I do not have the skill or patience to mess about rigging with thread, twine  and knots.     Give me wire every time.    It is so easy to just glue it on in short lengths.      Sadly, most modellers have got it into their heads that they could never do anything like this.       Years ago, this type of model was quite popular amongst model shipbuilders before kits began to dominate the scene!

Bob

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ShipbuilderMN said:

Thanks, the rigging is the easiest part.     I do not have the skill or patience to mess about rigging with thread, twine  and knots.     Give me wire every time.    It is so easy to just glue it on in short lengths.      Sadly, most modellers have got it into their heads that they could never do anything like this.       Years ago, this type of model was quite popular amongst model shipbuilders before kits began to dominate the scene!

Bob

Seeing these kits of yours is enough to inspire me to try it. 

Thanks, but they are NOT kits!    I just build them from whatever material that comes to hand.     As far as I know, no kits for Belle of Lagos exist.   This is the only one I have ever built of it!     I found the plans in a book by David R. MacGregor, and just decided to build it!

Bob

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShipbuilderMN said:

Thanks, but they are NOT kits!    I just build them from whatever material that comes to hand.     As far as I know, no kits for Belle of Lagos exist.   This is the only one I have ever built of it!     I found the plans in a book by David R. MacGregor, and just decided to build it!

Bob

Oops. Bad choice of words - I'd even just gone to your blog and read that they're scratchbuilt (should've said "builds"). That'll teach me to post on the internet before the coffee's kicked in...

Hello,

Your achievements are splendid.
We are in an old navy and antiques spirit.
I dare even say that they inspire the poetry of the great age of the navy in wood.
A great bravo full of amusement.
Marc

Thank you.     The Belle of Lagos had an iron hull, not wood.      Not a naval vessel either, but a merchant ship that only carried cargo to and from West Africa.        I prefer merchant ships as they are far more varied in size, shape and colour than naval vessels.:)

Bob

• 4 months later...

This is some great modelling. Nothing beats scratch-building a unique model. It is modelling in its purest form. Wish I had your modelling skills. Keep up the great work.

BM.

Thanks, but I truly belive you all have the skills.    The biggest stumbling block is when people say or think "I could never do that!"     Miniatures are far easier to build than large models, because the rigging is all wire, glued on in short lengths.   No knots anywhere!    

Bob

• Like 1

On 2017-2-19 at 7:28 AM, ShipbuilderMN said:

Bob

I'll have to admit that I have had huge problems making shrouds the way you do! The soldering always seems to defeat me...so far. :)

The Belle is very attractive indeed, beautiful work!

If you have diffculty making ratlines on miniatures, just leave them off!     I have built smaller ones at 50 feet to 1 inch without ratlines, and no-one has ever commented or even seemed to notice!    

Bob

• Like 2

On 15/07/2017 at 2:55 PM, ShipbuilderMN said:

Thanks, but I truly belive you all have the skills.    The biggest stumbling block is when people say or think "I could never do that!"     Miniatures are far easier to build than large models, because the rigging is all wire, glued on in short lengths.   No knots anywhere!    

Bob

What kind of wire do you use Bob?

• 2 months later...