Norwegian Starfighter

Hi all

A small update.

So I've almost finished the nmf part of the painting and what a marathon in masking it's been so far! I just have the large panel in the centre of the fin to go. I actually have to double check if this was painted or left bare.

The panels around the rear of the fuselage. The one in the centre was painted using Alclad polished aluminium over Humbrol enamel gloss black. I've not used this shade from Alclad before and OMG is it polished, I love it! The two panels either side were dark aluminium over Mr Surfacer 1500 black which dries to a matt finish. The panel above the airbrakes and the last panel before the radome on the nose were both sprayed with duraluminium.

IMG_1727_zpsojl7cgq7.jpg

IMG_1728_zpsvane1svf.jpg

IMG_1729_zpssvpefiga.jpg

So onto the other painted areas next.

Thanks for looking.

James

• Like 7

Cracking job James your bmf is superb, love how it's looking at the rear of the fuselage, very impressed. 

Glynn

Ps  you've shown great restraint on not using more of the polished aluminium goodness, I would have gone completely overboard with it :idea:, I'm gonna get me some of that shade, 

Edited by Hewy
Unfinished
  • Like 1

Very nice James, Polished aluminium is my favourite Alclad shade as it looks the business like you show and doesn't peel off or is extremely fragile like the airframe aluminium or chrome. Will you be using some of the DACO parts for a fully armed RNoAF F-104? I've not seen these bits used before from the set so if you do will be interesting to see how they fit etc..

David

• Like 1

On 2017-5-10 at 4:45 PM, Hewy said:

Cracking job James your bmf is superb, love how it's looking at the rear of the fuselage, very impressed. 

Glynn

Ps  you've shown great restraint on not using more of the polished aluminium goodness, I would have gone completely overboard with it :idea:, I'm gonna get me some of that shade, 

Thanks Glynn

I know, I was tempted to cover the whole thing in highly polished aluminium! It would have been serious shiny over kill!

On 2017-5-10 at 8:50 PM, mirageiv said:

Very nice James, Polished aluminium is my favourite Alclad shade as it looks the business like you show and doesn't peel off or is extremely fragile like the airframe aluminium or chrome. Will you be using some of the DACO parts for a fully armed RNoAF F-104? I've not seen these bits used before from the set so if you do will be interesting to see how they fit etc..

David

Thanks David

I'll deffinately be using the polished aluminium again in the future, even if just for oleo joints and the like. I'm deffinateley going to use the catanmaran launchers with sidewinders. I'll use the kit rails for this. This aircraft came from a fighter squadron and I'm reliably informed by other Britmodellers that it wouldn't have carried rockets under the wings and fuselage at the same time. I have a picture of it with rockets fitted under the fuselage and the hard points under the wings with racks fitted for drop tanks or something else. I do like the look of the Starfighter with under wing tanks so may well go with this option. I am open to requests though!

On 2017-5-10 at 10:07 PM, RMP2 said:

Very nice indeed! You must be really pleased with that, looks superb.

Thanks Rob

Yep, I'm happy with it at the moment. That june 11th date is coming round pretty quick though.

Thanks all

James

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Yep, I'm happy with it at the moment. That june 11th date is coming round pretty quick though.

Thanks all

James

I should think you are. And yes, it is indeed! GBs are great for getting things finished, I could do with more of the KUTA do's as they work wonders for me...... that Shelf Of Doom still needs reducing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, franky boy said:

I'll deffinately be using the polished aluminium again in the future, even if just for oleo joints and the like. I'm deffinateley going to use the catanmaran launchers with sidewinders. I'll use the kit rails for this. This aircraft came from a fighter squadron and I'm reliably informed by other Britmodellers that it wouldn't have carried rockets under the wings and fuselage at the same time. I have a picture of it with rockets fitted under the fuselage and the hard points under the wings with racks fitted for drop tanks or something else. I do like the look of the Starfighter with under wing tanks so may well go with this option. I am open to requests though!

James

yep it is great for things like that, even if you spray it over a non gloss black base it still is pretty damn shiney too. Stick whatever you want on it James, it is your model! :) Will you use the DACO Aero-3B launcher? I'm not 100% certain but I thought the base Hasegawa kit only included the Japanese style under fuselage launcher (Red Dog IIRC) and I'm not sure if RNoAF F-104s used this. Whichever way you go it will for sure look fantastic!

David

• Like 1

Hi everyone

On 2017-5-13 at 8:31 AM, mirageiv said:

yep it is great for things like that, even if you spray it over a non gloss black base it still is pretty damn shiney too. Stick whatever you want on it James, it is your model! :) Will you use the DACO Aero-3B launcher? I'm not 100% certain but I thought the base Hasegawa kit only included the Japanese style under fuselage launcher (Red Dog IIRC) and I'm not sure if RNoAF F-104s used this. Whichever way you go it will for sure look fantastic!

David

Thanks David. I bought the Eduard Brassin set for this kit for the under wing rails etc on an impulse so I'll most likely use the Aero-3B launchers from this and save the DACO ones for another day.

On 2017-5-17 at 4:51 AM, SoftScience said:

how do these finishes take decals? If a decal is a little on the flat side, does the clear film show up badly against the metalics?

Hi Soft Science. The last time I used Alclads I gloss coated them with Kleer so the decals went on fine. This time I'm not sure yet on using Kleer again or trying out the new Vallejo metal coat gloss varnish. I need to give this a trial spray see how it goes.

So, this is where we're at. Wings and tail plane painted and on. The colours for the nose radome were mixed using a mixture of Tamiya and my favourite Gunze Aqueous paints. I think the dark green is actually a bit to dark so i may re mask and spray it again with a lightened shade if I get to it.

IMG_1730_zpshd5frrnm.jpg

That small bit of over spray has since been dealt with.

IMG_1732_zpso0dbv3kj.jpg

The various fibre glass panels were sprayed with a mixture of Tamiya flesh and XF 4 yellow green. TBH it came out a bit darker than planned but I'm going to weather these areas quite heavily so hopefully it will lighten a bit.

IMG_1731_zpszxgux8m6.jpg

IMG_1733_zpslz6wi32l.jpg

IMG_1734_zpsbqxxpv4c.jpg

The panel on the tail was again painted using the sameTamiya and Gunze mixtures as for the nose. The large panel in the middle has also had a light coat of dark aluminium although you cant really see it with the angle of this picture.

IMG_1735_zpsibalptr9.jpg

And the underside of the wings painted with Xtracrylix ADG grey thinner using SLT as were the tail planes.

IMG_1736_zpspgdhjwmb.jpg

And some general shots. The thin red band around the tail has since been masked and painted.

IMG_1737_zps3zg6npyr.jpg

IMG_1738_zps2aqxljnz.jpg

That's all for now as June 11th creeps closer!

Thanks for looking

James

• Like 6

On 5/23/2017 at 7:26 PM, franky boy said:

Thanks David. I bought the Eduard Brassin set for this kit for the under wing rails etc on an impulse so I'll most likely use the Aero-3B launchers from this and save the DACO ones for another day.

I did the same thing, although I lost one :doh: of the Eduard mounting brackets and had to make a new one which caused a bit of a headache, please don't be a careless as me! :) I  asked initially because I thought you were planning on using the Japanese style launcher from the kit instead of the NATO one like in the DACO/Eduard sets, sorry I got confused! 

So far it looks amazing James , this will be my go to build for my one. I love the different panel variation and the finish is flawless, really look forward to the colourful decals too, this will be a stunner. Good luck with the stencils! 

David

• Like 1

Hi everyone

Thanks for the kind comments above.

Decalling is now in progress with now only about 5000 stencils to go on!!

First of all she had a coat of Vallejo metal colour gloss varnish in preparation for decals. This stuff I've never used but it sprayed pretty well thinned with a little water and some of their flow improver and didn't alter the metal finish in any way.

And here it is with some of the main markings applied yesterday

IMG_1743_zpsdarii9ea.jpg.

And thats the only photo I've taken for the time being, more to follow soon....

Thanks for looking.

James

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Chaps

So unfortunately she's not going to be finished in time for the end of the GB, no great surprise there,  but here's the last update anyway.

All of the decals are on including the stencils and another coat of Vallejo metal coat gloss varnish applied which I have to say I've been impressed with.

IMG_1744_zpsnybuwyuh.jpg

IMG_1745_zps803cuy2k.jpg

IMG_1746_zpslbbhqajp.jpg

IMG_1747_zpscgrwjkgx.jpg

IMG_1748_zpskzaldnqo.jpg

The Armycast decals performed well with Micro set and sol as did the Hasegawa stencils and data which was a bigger surprise to me.

Next up is a panel line wash and some more varnish followed by the U/C and a few smaller bits and pieces and it's there. So please keep an eye out in RFI section.

Thanks to everyone for an enjoyable GB and well done to everyone on some great modelling and here's looking forward to the 60's edition next year.

Thanks

James

• Like 7

Sorry that you are not going to get this one finished in time James but it is better to not rush something and have a model which is as fantastic as yours will be when finished, it's been a great build so far and she looks fantastic in those nice colourful Norwegian markings.

• Like 1

Not only a valiant effort but a damned good one at that so I can't blame you for not rushing to finish and risk spoiling it.

• Like 1

On 2017-6-11 at 8:39 PM, modelling minion said:

Sorry that you are not going to get this one finished in time James but it is better to not rush something and have a model which is as fantastic as yours will be when finished, it's been a great build so far and she looks fantastic in those nice colourful Norwegian markings.

3 hours ago, mirageiv said:

It looks too good to be rushed James, look forward to seeing it done when you can, don't think I've seen a RNoAF F-104 as nice as this one!

David.

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Not only a valiant effort but a damned good one at that so I can't blame you for not rushing to finish and risk spoiling it.

Hi guys

Thanks for the kind comments, that's very kind of you all.

Modelling will take a back seat for a couple of weeks now as we're of to Normandy for our summer holiday on Saturday. I'm spending most of this week trying to convince my wife that she and our 2 children (4 and 1) really would benefit from visiting the D Day beaches, especially as we're just past 6th June, if for nothing more than to build sand castles on them! She's coming round to the idea, persistence wears resistance and all that.

Thanks again

James

• Like 1