Airfix Lancaster B I(FE)/BIII - Memorial Build - Pro Libertate

Hi all!

Just wanted to share these pics of a build that I have recently completed.

This was a rather unusual build for myself as it wasn't for me; it was sort of a commission build for a friend of mine who was retiring. She was the Office Manager of the church that my wife and I attend, and where I volunteer in the office one day a week. Last year, during a conversation that we had about my RAF service, she happened to tell me about her uncle that had served in the RAF during the 2nd World War. Sadly she had never met him as he was lost on ops on 27/28 July 1943 during Operation Gomorrah, the bombing of Hamburg. With the information she was able to give me, and with a little more research, a plan started to form as to how I would be able to say thank you to this lady for the 12 years of service she had given the church.

So fast forward to the beginning of January this year, I acquire all the bits and bobs I need - including the latest Airfix 1/72 BI(FE)/BIII Lancaster and make a start. My target date - 5th Feb which is her last official date as a member of staff of our church. I took my time (a little too much I think) and it was finished on the Thursday before hand! so here you go. I am aware there maybe a couple of flaws, but then again, who isn't critical of their own builds!

So here you are:

DSCN6312.jpg

DSCN6311.jpg

DSCN6298.jpg

DSCN6302.jpg

DSCN6306.jpg

Well I hope you like the pictures - I dont have this in my possession any more but the lady who it was built for, and her husband adore it, and as a representation of the aircraft that her uncle was aboard when he was lost I think I works very well. In this case, it doesn't need heavy weathering, or for it to look like it has been on dozens of ops. It is a memorial and a thank you.

Regards

John B

• Like 25

That's splendid!

A nicely made model.  I do hope your ex Office Manager colleague (and her hubby) appreciate the effort you put into making this model.

Well done, and thankyou for sharing the pics.

Jonny

• Like 1

A very nice model and a very thoughtful gift. I'm sure the lady must be proud to have such a very poignant and personal connection to her late uncle and his aircraft. 

Thank you for sharing it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys.

The base was purchased from Coastal Kits. I was initially going for a bomber base dispersal point, but then thought the WWII RAF roundel worked so much better. I managed to find a company that made vinyl stickers of the 106 sqn crest, so that was another no brainer for me to get (besides it was only £1 inc postage....!)

I have to say that this build was probably the most nerve wracking ever! at times my hands were shaking so much with nerves cause I just wanted to get it "just right" that I had to stop and come back to it. But over a period of about 3.5 weeks and getting on for  a good 50+ man hours, I didn't ignore the inside either, but whilst it's not detailed, I did not skimp out on masking up and painting the detail where I could. Partly because, I know it's done!