Supermarine Spitfire Mk. VB night fighter that served in the 111 Squadron that flew from RAF Debden in 1941

Drift

I'm sure I've seen some on the Hannants site but can't find them. AZ had a black 111 squadron option in their MkV kit but the decals aren't great (colour of the B-type roundels me s a little off, to my eye) so you might be better off using generic decals.

2 hours ago, Drift said:

Hi guys, does anybody have any reference material for the above aircraft? My GOOGLE skills seem to have left me.

From memory, I think the Airfix "club" offered a 1/48 Spitfire with markings for one of 111's black Aeroplanes.  You haven't indicated a particular scale but it's possible  that that kit might help you - if you can find one!

Jonny

Hi

I am not certain but did W3848 JU-H even have roundels on wings? I think they had been overpainted along with serials. If so, all one needs is a generic letters in SGM, fuselage roundels and fin flashes. Cheers

Jure

Edited by Jure Miljevic
edited for spelling

2 hours ago, Hornet133 said:

DK Decals sheet #72026 has markings for Black painted  111 Sqn Spitfire Mk.Vs JU-B and JU-Y (along with a large number of more conventionally coloured Mk.V airframes).

Thanks!!!  I appreciate the heads up .

On 2/10/2017 at 9:49 PM, Jonny said:

From memory, I think the Airfix "club" offered a 1/48 Spitfire with markings for one of 111's black Aeroplanes.  You haven't indicated a particular scale but it's possible  that that kit might help you - if you can find one!

Jonny

Thanks Jonny. I have the kit 1/48, but need more info, specifically if they had the roundels on the top of the wings or not. The kit instructions say "this version may or may not have had the roundels on the top of the wings". 

Quite possibly it lost them them when it was painted black and then at some point had them painted back on again. Do it whichever way pleases you and don't put a specific date on the model.

If its important to you to be able to defend the model in public, do it without wing roundels and quote the reference Dave Fleming supplied.

Edited by Work In Progress

• 2 months later...