Royal Navy Canberra TT18

Now that is some sweet scratch building there MD.   It's no easy feat to get a couple of bits of styrene cut to the same shape - getting a bunch of parts like that and all lining up on different flaps is dedication and Skill !!!

• Like 2

Quite an array of flappyness going on now! Having looked at my last attempt, I wasn't quite happy, the holes should be more uniform and they were a little rushed, so I did x couple more to try and improve them

20170305_143544_zpsl8ccqkgf.jpg

I think they look a little neater but it was this point I looked at had proper flaps instead of Airfix attempt and they are quite a bit different. I think they should be all large holes apart from where the hinges are should be smaller. That'll teach me not to look at proper references first! I shall live with it for now. In the mean whilst it was back to the ribs for the outer flaps, this time 18 in total :hypnotised:

20170305_153233_zpss4ldvus4.jpg

This set up is a bit different during to the wing trailing edge being at an angle.

20170305_163353_zpsvhj8rro1.jpg

But eventually they turned out pukka!

I then fitted them in using the ailerons and tail pipe pieces to line it all up. You can see where these were a touch oversize so I first trimmed it square and then took off about 1/8" as that should be on thee lower flap as discussed above. I'm not going to add any further thickness to the lower flap but give an illusion with a strip of upper surface paint.

Before

20170305_165608_zpsawkciwgj.jpg

And after

20170305_165911_zpsl4xcszne.jpg

Next up were a couple of holes in the lower wing leading edge, air inlets for the cold air unit that sits behind them I shall assume! The longer one should be much closer to the fuselage but the wing root molded on ghetto kit fuselage would make it difficult so artistic license is applied!

20170305_183808_zpsm2gy3kum.jpg

Finally before I close up the port wing time to look at the undercarriage bay and to plan how busy that up.

20170305_184038_zpsadpneowz.jpg

Just sucks a bit that most of the detail so far is on the underside,  but I guess that's what mirrors are for!

But until then.......laters!

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 5

Excellent detail work.

Those cold air inlets also have outlets (as Bill found out on his build), on the underside and in line with the inlets, looks like a very shallow wedge.

Be easy to knock up with plasticard.

Hopefully John has images of them, you can just about see them in the walkaround shots here,

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

Excellent detail work.

Those cold air inlets also have outlets (as Bill found out on his build), on the underside and in line with the inlets, looks like a very shallow wedge.

Be easy to knock up with plasticard.

Hopefully John has images of them, you can just about see them in the walkaround shots here,

Here it is 

DSC00961_zpsq3g8g2qj.jpg

941138_148263058696654_744890682_n_zpsiq

Edited by canberra kid
extra photo
  • Like 4

So whilst pondering on the cold air unit, I thought ghats would be better served with the wings together. But before I can join the wings I need to sort the undercarriage bay! As seen earlier the kit offering gives basic detail, so it was just a case of chucking some wire and crap in there right? Looking at photos there is a big fuel (?) Hose going through the bay, so that was the first big wire, there is also a bit more structure around the leg, an Air bottle and a sonic locator beacon. This was all done with card and rod. I also didn't like the leg retraction jack so replaced that.

20170309_070059_zpspvtxai8h.jpg

And bit more thin wire for some random pipes finished it off. By the way, yes the legs are fitted and yes I can get the undercarriage bay in :D

Next up the door which Airfix represent perfectly

:rofl:

So initially I removed the detail but soon realised that it still wasn't good enough so got the plastic card out.

20170309_070134_zpseckzflxa.jpg

Cut out the basic shape, there is a recess in the door so cut out a large portion. I chamfered the edge and fitted a thin shim to give a recessed look. I also fitted an outer skin to give it a proper look. Then going by references I recreated the locking linkage.

You can see the basis here but it's not clear due the the pencil marks

20170309_190915_zpsrreg21ms.jpg

So I had a quick prime to see how it looks

20170309_191306_zpskipzfmar.jpg

Quite happy so far, so just need to go and recreate another! Back out with the card lol!

Bob

• Like 7

I had hoped to get a bit further with this build over the weekend, Friday was quite productive and I managed to complete both bays. They certainly have a bit more interest than the kit items.

20170312_191322_zpsdqntbysc.jpg

20170312_191432_zpsymm7p52y.jpg

The one on the right is the original which I coated in grey primer then white primer. The one on the left was coated straight away with white primer. Unfortunately the white is very opaque so it doesnt look as good and you can also see my pencil marks on the door. So I think I may have to give it a coat of grey and then white again, but alas have 2 problems, first I am out of white primer and second this is how cold it is outside.

20170312_152121_zpsmxlc79ex.jpg

Out with the dog it was -20 with wind chill (it's OK my dog loves it), very pleasant walk but a tad nippy! But all that means my spray bay (garage) is barely above freezing so is not conducive to any sort of decent spraying! So I had a weekend off. 

I did get some more tools, lately these were my drills of choice, cheap as chips from China

20170312_191542_zpsigmohyig.jpg

But as you can see they are not quit Bobproof and the fine ones don't last too long! So opted for this set

20170312_191603_zpsx0rmfztt.jpg

Still cheap as chips but many more spares, we shall see how these go, hopefully they can cope with Airfix chunky plastic! In the mean whilst I have had a lazy plastic free Sunday topped off with The Guns Of Navarone,  they certainly don't do war films like that anymore! 

Hopefully more progress soon when it warms up, this is springtime after all! 

Bob

• Like 4

yeah those little micro drill sure ain't hendie-proof either.  Great drills though.

Where did you get that other set Bob ?  I think I could make use of a set like that.

Nice wheel bays.   I always prime with alclad before I throw any color on plastic - I think it helps the color achieve a more uniform coverage

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hendie said:

Where did you get that other set Bob ?

Amazon.ca but other Amazons are available, although just had a search and they are currently unavailable, maybe I snagged the last one!

Screenshot_20170312-202437_zpshsnktjyn.p

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moaning dolphin said:

shall see how these go, hopefully they can cope with Airfix chunky plastic!

Chinese tool steel v Chinese polystyrene.... it's going to be an interesting battle of attrition. The judges could be divided on this result, let's see how it plays out!

• Like 3

I've had a week of no chasing around for my lads soccer so you would think lots of time at the bench, but with a low temperature preventing any spraying I just seemed to loose a lot of momentum. So to prevent myself from making a mistake and defeating the MOJO I took a week off (if only I could do the same with work!). Eventually I managed to get some top coat on the undercarriage bays and then picked out the various bits and pieces in various colours.

So here it is in its glorious clean state

20170315_195918_zpsotorpg72.jpg

And of course the bays are never clean so I gave it a good dirty wash, the flash on the camera makes to look a lot worse than it is. It looks a lot more reserved to the naked eye.

20170318_172102_zpsunii3jez.jpg

20170318_172053_zpsi1yt81jk.jpg

So now I am in a position to fit the undercarriage bay and the join the wing together, but first I had a look again at that air conditioning bay. This is the area I'm thinking about.

20170315_194346_zpsvik2v9bv.jpg

But I think the pencil marks must have weakened the plastic because I sneezed and this bit fell out! I hate it when that happens! So what to do? Turn it into a air conditioning bay I suppose.

20170315_195504_zpsasxw4xoi.jpg

You can also see the kit wing root is solidly molded to the fuselage, and in the real aircraft you can see the curve of the fuselage skin. So I had to measure it up and remove a good chunk of it. Next up was boxing in the bay

20170316_200236_zps69tvuq4l.jpg

I left the walls slightly over length so they would match up to the fuselage. I will also have a bit of a gap at the bottom but that will be easy to rectify

20170318_172042_zps0qr3e5cx.jpg

So before I stick the wings on I will detail the bay, I also need to put a vent below this area but this will be incorporated into the detail, just need to figure out the best way to do this and get its position right.

In the mean time I've still been helping to chip away at this 1:1, the cockpit roof is starting to come together nicely.

20170318_145654_zpsfccjfe3m.jpg

But that's all for now, Laters! 

Bob

• Like 9

18 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

So, are you going to finish it with open air con bay, as for maintenance?

That's the plan......unless I make a hash of it then I can just fit the panel back over it! ;)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CJP said:

waiting to see RFI post

You may be waiting for a bit of time - lol:rofl:!

I missed a little off the last post which is to do with the horizontal (or not so horizontal as it turns out!) stabilisers. On @Navy Bird PR9 and also other Canberra builds there is debate about how Airfix got this wrong. The stabs should be sat at 10 degrees to the horizontal, airfix has the location tabs at an appropriate angle but the root of the stab is flat, so this gives a change of angle as a kink in the stab instead of it being straight, again on Bills build there are a couple of solutions. Needless to say I took the stabilizer lite option, which requires the removal of the root and just applying the stabilizer at the correct angle, hopefully this gives an idea of what I is on about.....

20170316_200224_zpsagapv53n.jpg

The root is quite large and solid plastic which required the use of a dremmel to remove it, hence a couple of dimples where I may have got a bit over enthusiastic with my mechanical removal!. I was going to go for the rebuild the entire area option which would have looked awesome but.........oh who am I trying to kid, I looked at it and thought errrr......no! :rofl:

Hopefully I will get a bit of work done on the other wing and the air con bay and post the progress. In the meantime I needed a small distraction so picked out an MPM 1:72 Seahawk as a quick build with a bit of a paint challenge, but alas it is not as shake and bake as I hoped :analintruder: but hey ho it gives me a small sideshow to keep the mojo enthusing.

Until the next time......laters!

Bob

• Like 3