Royal Navy Canberra TT18

Hi Bob

All that junk in the bay is the cold air unit. I personally wouldn't reproduce all the rivets but it down to the individual doing the building. The bomb bay is essentially the same on all Canberra's there are some photos on my site that cover the bomb bay in the B.2. The TT.18 onten flew with the long range tank fitted in the bay.

John

• Like 3

My understanding is that the bay structure of the PR.9 is essentially the same as the bombers. 

The doors and their inner skinning look pretty similar to my eyes.

Hopefully John can confirm.

Thanks for the Flickr comments, please feel free to use the pics.

When it comes to detailing, it is very much modellers choice, but I wouldn't go mad on a Canberra.

Do you know which particular TT.18 you are doing Bob?

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

Thanks John

Would the markings on the wing be roughly the right area for the cold air unit? It seems a chunky load of stuff but looks easy ish to reproduce. I'm not too sure about ghetto fasteners either, I had a play on the inside of the wing with my rivet wheel but it was very delicate, maybe too delicate. I will have to look at that long range tank and see if it's worth fitting still debating about open doors. 

Thanks as well 71chally I haven't fully decided on which one but probably going to plump for WH887 of FRAUD back in 74, only because I like the dayglo ducks, small things and all that.

Just looked at the flaps as well.....maybe wings won't be on anytime soon!:analintruder:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, moaning dolphin said:

Thanks as well 71chally I haven't fully decided on which one but probably going to plump for WH887 of FRAUD back in 74, only because I like the dayglo ducks, small things and all that.

Aww, Matt Buddle will be pleased I'm sure!

The bomb doors thing is another modellers personal preference of course, but they rarely seem to be open when seen on the flight line.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Aww, Matt Buddle will be pleased I'm sure!

The bomb doors thing is another modellers personal preference of course, but they rarely seem to be open when seen on the flight line.

James Matt doesn't have the nose any more but he still has a soft spot for the old girl!

22 minutes ago, moaning dolphin said:

Good choice Bob a Canberra with a very interesting history, she was in her younger B.2 days involved in nuclear weapons tests as part of 1323 Flt.

John

• Like 2

The position you've marked out looks about right Bob, If you take a look at the bomb bay photos on the site you will see it's quite a complicated structure with a lot of extra detail needed, the kit part is a good starting point though and if you add the tank you will only need to detail a third of it :) The basic structure of the bomb bays is the same on all Mk's just the detail changes mainly between the "Bombers" and "PR"  even though the PR Canberra has a truncated bomb/flair bay the actual bomb bay structure was the same length, this was also true of the B.57. There is as always with the Canberra exceptions some models of the RB.57D and F had no, or reduced bomb bay structure.

TT18b_zpsqnxhk9eh.jpg

TT18a_zps3rhiyyxr.jpg

TT18c_zpsosjhsm4d.jpg

There is also a clearer drawing of the cold air conditioning here. air con and bomb bay Bomb bay

John   

• Like 5

1 hour ago, canberra kid said:

I have Dave?

John

I meant to mention that as well but got sidetracked by the air conditioning! It was a glowing piece....as if they were buttering you up to get lot's of info to release a new tool set of Canberras! Even offering a couple of 1.48s as prizes in a comp, I declined the comp as I don't have enough room for another!

Bob

• Like 3

10 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

I meant to mention that as well but got sidetracked by the air conditioning! It was a glowing piece....as if they were buttering you up to get lot's of info to release a new tool set of Canberras! Even offering a couple of 1.48s as prizes in a comp, I declined the comp as I don't have enough room for another!

Bob

Bring it on Airfix, I'm set to roll! We really do need a good mainstream 1/72 Canberra B.2/6, and I've not got a cat in hell's chance I did enter the comp, I could do with a Canberra :)

John

• Like 3

7 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Bring it on Airfix, I'm set to roll! We really do need a good mainstream 1/72 Canberra B.2/6, and I've not got a cat in hell's chance I did enter the comp, I could do with a Canberra

I entered that comp too....^_^ I had to come away from that page though after a few minutes' ogling. Too much Canberra awesomeness in one place for mortal man to behold!

Tony

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

mind you looking at Johns models Airfix are probably thinking there is no need to bring out a new one!

Just wait until they work their way through a couple of the build threads -  the first 3 weeks taken up by modification and corrections to errors and omissions and shortcuts etc. Don't think they'll be feeling all that complacent.

Here's a hypothetical question though; suppose that someone came up with the ultimate perfect kit of a Canberra - everything correct, no need for rescribing, filling, modification or after market extras. Perfection straight out of the box!

Would that be a great build? Would it give the level of satisfaction and achievement?

Or would it be a bit of a bore in the end?

Whadaya think?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Just wait until they work their way through a couple of the build threads -  the first 3 weeks taken up by modification and corrections to errors and omissions and shortcuts etc. Don't think they'll be feeling all that complacent.

Here's a hypothetical question though; suppose that someone came up with the ultimate perfect kit of a Canberra - everything correct, no need for rescribing, filling, modification or after market extras. Perfection straight out of the box!

Would that be a great build? Would it give the level of satisfaction and achievement?

Whadaya think?

I think you're right, it wouldn't be as much "fun" but I think to take out some of the most frustrating points of the kit would be nice. The thing with the Canberra is there are so many subtle variants in the B.2 alone it would take some careful thought to get it right.

John

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Perfection straight out of the box!

Whadaya think?

I'm after perfection out of the box, can save all the hard work for the various mods and configurations to model the many weird and wonderful Canberras out there!

• Like 3

That's the problem with the perfect kit, you can't spend days just chopping up plastic! Speaking of which I looked at those flaps. The kit does have some ribs on the underside of the upper wing but it isn't very accurate and the top wing is very thick in plastic. To thin that would be difficult. My initial thought would be to replace the whole of the flap area including the upper wing, which by the looks of it is flat. But before I chopped up the wing I had a go at the wing section first.

First thing is to map out the position of the ribs, eventually I could decipher the AP diagram on John's site, this has a dedicated section to the flaps and is very useful. I determined I needed 6 ribs and marked out the positions on some plastic.

20170304_133352_zpsft3uxz89.jpg

Now the tailing edge of the wing should be very thin so I secured the plastic to a steel rule and chamfered the last 1/4" as shown

20170304_133403_zpsmkkt9zj3.jpg

After that I looked at the ribs, they are very fine and small so I made up a template. It has two distinct holes and an angled structure,  so going by John's site and also our own BM walkabout I determined a rough shape

20170304_134457_zpspvzl790z.jpg

I then made out 6 for each side and I made sure the holes lined up as there are rods that go though them

20170304_141155_zpsfwmfgtwn.jpg

I scribed out a thick channel to line up the ribs and stuck them down, making sure the holes lined up I gave it a check with a couple of control rods. The large one is a bit too thick so I will use a thinner one for the final build.

20170304_142148_zpsqz1vza2g.jpg

I then spent an hour on the other side (I know there are 4 in total but the outer ones will come along later)

20170304_150056_zps6pwvrltb.jpg

Happy with that I chopped out the kit effort and fitted the new section

20170304_152452_zpsvwz2i972.jpg

While fitting to the top wing I had to check alignment with the bottom which involved a bit of trimming but the end result gave me this. 

20170304_152507_zpsdwn8pjnj.jpg

Before closing all this up I will furnish the area with all the operating mechanisms. But first a small note, this isn't exact scaling, I have done it to what looks good, so this recess and the corresponding flap will be slightly larger. Not too much but should look good enough! So speaking of the flap, the kit effort will be too small so it was back to the plastic! The real thing is hollow but you can't get that from the kit so using the kit as a template I drilled out a few holes in thin plastic card and built up the flap from 3 separate pieces. I used a bit of rod to help give me the triangular appearance

20170304_160147_zpso5ysroiw.jpg

It will need a little bit of filler and a rub down but looks a lot better, I also couldn't resist doing a dummy fit to see how it all looks.

20170304_160130_zps2tcvmrwa.jpg

So another flap to make then do it all again for the outer flaps, only snag with the outer ones are loads more ribs! Deep joy :analintruder:. So loads to keep me going and I need to look at that cold air pack, I fancy putting that in,until then, Laters! 

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 8

Good work on the flaps Bob, don't forget that part of the wing trailing edge forms part of the flap on inner and outer. I'm on my phone so it's hard to see if you've have or not. I know how hard it is, I've done it in 1/72 scale in the mad old days 😊

John

• Like 2