Royal Navy Canberra TT18

4 hours ago, canberra kid said:

I've been out in the snow and sleet to the hanger(garage) and got the window, as you can perhaps see from the photo it's not symmetrical, but in 1/48 it won't make any difference, the measurements on the distance from the window to the end of the fuselage is 11,1/2 inch.   

IMG_1682_zpsgn1qaje4.jpg   

John

Thanks John, I appreciate your sacrifice, just hope it wasn't too early for you :penguin: :D . So I am going for a foot back, a foot wide by 2/3 foot deep. I am glad it's not fully symmetrical as that can account for any non squareness when cutting out ;).

So a quick measure gives me this

20170211_093344_zpsvhjms9zo.jpg

I'm off out to do some Saturday stuff on hopefully get on it later,

Cheers now

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
Auto correct.....again! And correcting my fractions!
  • Like 3

I managed to get a big of Saturday stuff done. I started to volunteer at he local air museum so had to brush off some rusty skills, it was nice to do some 'proper' work again now I've become a desk pilot! This is what we've been doing. 

20170211_142624_zpscj4muh8k.jpg

And the beast we are trying to put back together, she's a bit of a state but it'll be fun trying, extra brownie points if you can guess what she is, not what you may think though!

20170211_143202_zpscz1y8grw.jpg

Back to the kit I did manage to get the underside window cut out and you can see where I need to chop out the inner part of the cockpit insert. Once the fuselage sides are together I will tidy the inside and the get a piece of suitable clear plastic to fashion a window

20170211_162259_zpsuumccote.jpg

I then turned my eye to some serious chopping up of the fuselage. I had heard that caution had to be observed when cutting out. Looking at the instructions it seems to follow the rear panel lines so I carefully followed them

20170211_163344_zpsfzbrglny.jpg

20170211_174551_zpsiuzlizum.jpg

It seems to fit OK,  the only issue I found was it doesn't quite extend to the panel line. This leaves a small gap.

20170211_174609_zpsva051mdn.jpg

Not the end of the world, I can squeeze a shim in there later. But good thing about chopping all that away is that it will give me plenty of room to clutter up the cockpit once the fuselage is together

20170211_174845_zpsf4np2kim.jpg

Then it was back to the chopping up to fit another side window

20170211_180038_zpszrkxktqu.jpg

Another tight fit but does go in well. Unfortunately the plastic is thick, and when I say thick I mean THICK! it's probably thicker than the skin on the real thing. Which makes chopping it up laborious. But we can't have everything!

And the window being super glued in. It ain't coming out now!

20170211_180655_zpscxtdkvcg.jpg

So that's where we are now. I have a soccer game up in the north of the province which will take up most of the day. Tomorrow though we are expecting 60cm of snow all day so I may have a bonus day then! Until then,

Laters

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
Poor editing!
  • Like 9

Well it's a Monday and thanks to a hooooooge storm I am on a snow day :D so what to do, hmm yard work :hmmm:or something in doors in the warm. So seizing the opportunity I got in the cave. I busied up the back of the instrument panel with lots of different wires and then bundled and routed them. Everything here will be black and after painting I'll add a few bundles of white and other coloured wires.

20170213_133327_zpsaa3hqfjj.jpg

You will also see I got some milliput out for a cushion. So of course I always mix up way too much so made some padding for the nose walls.

20170213_133403_zpspdmeaw6q.jpg

And of course I still had way too much left over so I quickly made some seat cushions for later.

20170213_133412_zps27jvictm.jpg

And of course I still had loads left over.......but couldn't think of anything else to make so made a cube and left it at that! In the mean time I will move my attentions to the main and rear cockpits. Lots more work in there.

I did knock up the seats and these don't look good at all!

20170213_134853_zpsev8up2b4.jpg

I removed all the details apart from the cylinder tank and will start afresh, but for now it's time to dig out some storm chips and watch the snow pile up!

Laters!

Bob

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I'm late to see this Bob but along for the ride now. Lovely wiring and chopping, you brave lad!

Tony

Welcome along, you think that chopping is bad wait until you see the wing fold ;)

Well with the storm still raging it's fruitless trying to clear the drive so that can wait, it was back into the cave and a look at those seats. They will all be the same and the best one will go in the pilots seat. The others will go into the back coal hole. Here you can see Mk 1 effort.

20170213_195441_zpsw5jam8xw.jpg

Along way to go but an OK start. I also did a bit if internal panelling just behind the pilot seat, adding a bit more thickness to that which Airfix provides.

Well that's all for now :D

Bob

• Like 7

Hi Bob, I've never brushed a rusty skill before, is that quite difficult? What size brush would you use??? The cockpit is looking seriously tit, especially the back of IP wiring. The Catalina don't look too shabby either...

Colin

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

I've never brushed a rusty skill before, is that quite difficult? What size brush would you use???

For me it would have to be a very large one!

Bob

PS

5 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

The Catalina don't look too shabby either

Shes not a Catalina, I called her that once and was quickly corrected, she is a Canso :D

• Like 2

Just now, moaning dolphin said:

For me it would have to be a very large one!

Bob

PS

Shes not a Catalina, I called her that once and was quickly corrected, she is a Canso :D

Ooooooops, sorry. Never heard of one, so I was in the dark. Glad you had a large brush...

Colin

• Like 2

She is a  PBY-5A Catalina . She is also the oldest surviving PBY 5-A in a museum. The crew Bob works with like to call her a Canso and no amount of stating the obvious works with them ! Canso A was designation of Canadian built ( Boeing in Vancouver  and  Canadian Vickers in Montreal) and were used by the RCAF. To confuse matters Vickers also built  a large number of OA-10A Catalinas for the USAAF .

The particular airframe that Bob is kindly working on, was built by Consolidated in San Diego > It was used by the US Navy on the East Coast of the States from 1943 until the end of war , flying out of Norfolk Virginia.After the war it served with the US Coast Guard, eventually ending up hauling freight on the East Coast of Canada with Eastern Provincial Airlines. It crashed in thew wilds of Labrador  hauling diesel fuel into remote sites. It was subsequently recovered(1986) in an epic adventure, involving an CAF Chinook and Huey, along with a ferry ride and trucked to the Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum in Halifax NS.

Its a Catalina plain and simple, except to the crew working on it!

MRP

• Like 6

So progress has continued at a slow pace, but I seem to find I am spending more time trawling through references than I do on the tools. I don't know much about the Canberra but am learning more all the time about this graceful beast. The last session was spent on the ejection seat. I removed all the molded detail apart from the oxygen cylinder and then started rebuilding. I found some nice clear picks of the back on @canberra kid IMPS UK Canberra site. I huge hive of info. I don't think I've scratched the surface in there. Any hoo I've tried to replicate it as well as I can.

20170215_193938_zpsp4hqoera.jpg

20170215_193949_zpsaculor5r.jpg

Not the best pictures as I am using my phone, it'll do for now but I think I need to look at a better camera. 

I am starting to wish that I thinned down the bucket section as well, it seems to be quite chunky. I need to do the myriad of harnesses next and the I'll paint her up to see how she looks. Until then, Laters! 

Bob

• Like 5

Just getting towards completion of the airfix Martin B57 in 1/48, so well pleased to find this wee project. I think a lot of parts are shared, including 3 of the little fellows, and extra long bay doors!? You can always make a ventriloquist diorama thing.

Good luck with the build, and make some extra space - the airframe is huge.

If you search "EB57B" in wip you'll get my first effort at a thread, but I don't think you'll learn much from me!

• Like 2

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Martian Hale said:

The seat is looking great!

:D

23 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

make some extra space - the airframe is huge.

I have now looked into this, I may need to have a good rearrangement!

Work has continued on the seat, I want it to look busy but refined. My biggest snag is harnesses, always harnesses. I find them tedious and they always look too chunky and generally a bit pants. Whilst pondering this I remembered a Buccaneer build. I have the Flightpath set which includes detail for the seats, I also had some nice Neomega seats which come fully dressed. So I had some harnesses going spare. I utilised these and this was the result

20170217_190759_zps4zbpkunc.jpg

I added some more ropes, hoses and rods and then went for a prime. Apologies for the poor photos but here we are

20170217_191846_zpstluoelwc.jpg

20170217_191834_zpsdzyef0xa.jpg

20170217_191805_zpskxbapvr1.jpg

To the officionados it may not look exact but I am going for a close look. I shall paint it up and see how good it looks, then do the other two, the best one will go into the front. I only have two sets of harnesses so the one behind the pilot will just have a rudimentary fit. The only question I have is on harness colours. I have seen black and blue, what would be right for a 70s fit or does it not really matter?

Whilst I Potter on the seats and cockpit, I'll also be looking at the undercarriage bays, I want to detail them before it all goes together. The bomb Bay will be closed so that's one area I can ignore, but another question......on the stbd side is the crew hatch and just behind that is a large square panel which looks like an access door. What is behind that? Is it an electronics compartment? Is there any pictures of it? I've gone through a lot of the IPMS site but not seen inside it, there is a lot more to search through though! There's no reason behind this, I was just wondering......it's not like I am going to cut it out is it.....

Laters

Bob

• Like 4