Royal Navy Canberra TT18

**Pictures are in the process of being added, I have 'IT' issues :D

So after a year of really banging out group builds I have decided to kick off another WIP (note I said kick off and not complete!). I have numerous bits in the stash and so it was a case of what to choose. The group builds were mainly 1:72 and 1:144 so I really wanted to give my sausage fingers a break and go for something bigger so 1:48 it has to be. I didn't want to pick out one of my stalled builds so that cut out the Wasp, Aurora and finishing off my failed Wessex GB. I have also had a bit over overkill with the Wessex and Helo GB so Rotors were out! So i shelved my Navy Lynx and Seaking. I wanted something BIG and also clean so I wasn't continually knocking off small bits, and seeing a few Canberra builds over the last couple of weeks stirred my interest in this graceful beast. I used to watch these at Yeovilton in my early grubbering career, I would stare  across the runway as these beautiful creatures lifted into the air with their Hunter brethren.........then I would get a crack across the back of the head because I should have been marshaling a Seaking 4 instead! But I did love these Navalised bombers. I had a 1:48 Airfix Canberra in the stash which I bought on a whim because it was cheap......and I mean really cheap, I think it was half the price of the Airfix 1:72 and even then I decided it had to be a Naval one so bought the AliCat resin set there and then which I think was 3 times more expensive than the kit! but worth it! It was then filed away.

And now I think it is time, time to get this beast out. She will be a TT18 of Fradu, in a grey upper with black/yellow stripes under and a few dayglo stripes. So here we have the stuff...

First up the obligatory kit boxes

20170209_183530_zpsr1omusjt.jpg

I wont go into the details of the Airfix kit, it has been reviewed planty of times and its flaws are many and well known, but here are the Ally Cat extras, the set mainly consists of the target tugs and a couple of extra Belcher Bits (made under license) drop tanks. The resin is, as expected, beautifully cast and there is an etch set for the fins. I am not sure of which ones to fit but there is a nice selection.

20170209_183427_zpstmhn8roh.jpg

It also comes with a nice decal sheet, I am thinking of going with 841 or 844 as I like the boxed in numbers for the nose, just think they look cool and kind of 70s like. Decals look nicely printed.

20170209_183442_zps4qcvef5d.jpg

There is also some nice clear resin and a couple of mods are required for the kit. A whole top deck and canopy replaces the kit area which is good as the kit has issues in this area, also included is a side vision window and a new bomb aimers glass. The resin will need a careful polish but should go nicely. I just have to be careful with the cutouts.

20170209_183654_zps8gbjhopl.jpg

So onto the kit and the first thing I noticed was the crew, I think airfix must have been modeling them on Hobbits or something, below is a comparison. On the left is my 1:48 scale dummy (no name yet but from Tamiya) and on the right 'Dave' my 1:72 scale buddy (from an Airfix islander). I tend not to measure details too much but go by the eye of something I can reference. If there is a lump the size of my hand on the real thing I can gauge the scale by relating it to one of my Scale mates. A very handy tool, but you can see the Airfix Canberra crew are around 1:58 scale, so we are definately not fitting the crew.

20170209_183845_zpsnqiwyfex.jpg

As yet we have no other extras but I am seriously thinking about a pilots bang seat as a lot can be seen under that canopy, but that's for a bit late, I shall see how the kit seat looks. So first up is a start on the cockpit, I just assembled the plastic to see what we have and then throw in some extra detail. So the basic cockpit

20170209_195229_zpsjpbiuhee.jpg

And because of the glass nose you can see the back end of the IP so I have added some backs for the instrumentation and will add in a load of wires to make it look busy

One note is I cant find any front details for the Navy Canberras so in the absence of that I am going to model it on a B2 (from which they were converted), But a question for the well knowledged out there. In the reference I looked at just back from the bomb aimers window is a flat window on the under side. Would that also be the same for the TTs? Now would be a good time to find out before I go too deep! Finally the in progress front area.

20170209_195221_zpscavcjrdw.jpg

Not much will be seen as it has a small opening and will be black but I will know :winkgrin:.

So there we go, she is underway. The navies heaviest bomber I do believe?

Enjoy!

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
Adding pictures due to an IT errrr malfunction!
  • Like 14

The TT.18 is my favourite of the Canberras, but 7 Sqn RAF for me!

I have the Classic Airframes TT.18 to build at some stage.

Looking forward to seeing your build and I can see a great start already with all that detail.

That extra underside window exists on the 18, I think though that it is curved with the fuselage contour.

I've done a remedy for the awful Airfix tailplane issue, under the Cold war section if you're interested.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I've done a remedy for the awful Airfix tailplane issue, under the Cold war section if you're interested.

Thanks for following, I saw your remedy whilst researching this, which was one of the kickers to give this a go. I think at this stage Ill go for the 'removing the stub' way but I think I'll get the fuselage together first.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1

Funny you should mention that John, I've just spent an age trawling through your link on Bills build, a mighty fine collection of all things Canberra and I will be bookmarking that for my build!

5 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Tatty Ton (100Sqn) tail flash do you consider giving it a good home

Is that the checker board one (at work so cant look it up) I only intend to do the one RN version and will always be happy to donate anything I have left over. Many modelers have been good to me so try and reciprocate when I can, just PM me.

Bob

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, moaning dolphin said:

Funny you should mention that John, I've just spent an age trawling through your link on Bills build, a mighty fine collection of all things Canberra and I will be bookmarking that for my build!

Is that the checker board one (at work so cant look it up) I only intend to do the one RN version and will always be happy to donate anything I have left over. Many modelers have been good to me so try and reciprocate when I can, just PM me.

Bob

The TT.18 is well covered but if you have any specific questions just ask! The blue and yellow checkered one, that's the one Bob, CX is the one I want to build she has a place in my heart, and she's ex navy. I'll sort a PM out later, thanks!

John

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Bob, that underside window is definitely curved and follows the fuselage.  Surprising how many builds leave it out so good to see that you've picked up on it

It's another of the omissions from all Canberra kit's, I don't think the HPM kit has it? I can't remember, it was standard on all B.2's and PR 3/7's although some had them over painted, even the B/RB.57A's and Mk.20's had it.

John 

Edited by canberra kid
Forgor PR.3/7
  • Like 1

I'll pull up a deckchair too. I've got the AlleyCat TT.18 set - was thinking about building it this year (perhaps in raspberry ripple) but as I'm currently on a bit of a Russian aircraft thing, it's slipped down the pecking order.

• Like 1

I shall be watching this as my build will be a TT18 of 100 Squadron RAF. 'CV'

I flew in her and have a couple of photos but at the time didnt really consider the modelling aspects so the photos are really me, the crew and 'CV' . . .

Usually two-tone top camouflage with the Yellow/Black underside.

I too have the Alleycat conversion bits so if you dont mind, I shall pull up a chair . . . :popcorn:

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 1

Welcome along all, just hope I can keep this going now I've got a crowd tagging along! No progress tonight unfortunately, darn kids soccer practice! It takes 4 of my 5 weeknights so progress is at a premium, but they hit a mid break in March so when that hits I should have a good bit of time.

Now first technical question. How big is that underside window and how far back from the nose is it??? It's very prominent so will have to go in and it'll effect the internal detail as well so would be nice to get it reasonably accurate. Any pointers?

Just another final note, for some reason the tablet I use to update has a bizarre preductive text. When ever I type 'the' it occasionally swaps it for ghetto. Normally I catch it but if you seen the odd ghetto it's just my mistake sausage typing!

Geesh technology eh?

• Like 2

I used to be able to access a cockpit section to get dimensions, but alas no more.

The window isn't that big, I would say about the size of the Navs side window, but a bit longer spanwise, it seems to be about the same distance back from the nose glazing as its own width - if that makes sense!

Edit, Some handy pics here of Matt Buddles Navy TT.18 cockpit section, scroll down for the underside shots 

http://www.rafupwood.co.uk/wh887.html

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

I've been out in the snow and sleet to the hanger(garage) and got the window, as you can perhaps see from the photo it's not symmetrical, but in 1/48 it won't make any difference, the measurements on the distance from the window to the end of the fuselage is 11,1/2 inch.   

IMG_1682_zpsgn1qaje4.jpg   

John

• Like 3

Brilliant idea. I've got the bits for a 1:72 build but always drops to the lower end of the pile. I'll be following this for ideas and inspiration. Excellent. 

• Like 2