1/32 Bell P-39 Airacobra Mk1

That's looking great, it really suits RAF camouflage and markings, I would beware of using a white undercoat on roundels as I did that on a P-39 strangely enough and you could see the white on the edge of the markings, I had to sand them down and re do them.

p-39stars015.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Calum said:

Some sweet paint there Two kits . Love the masked markings

My only minor criticism is the darker outline on the edges of green, it looks particularly noticeable on the nose an right wing 

Edit: just looked at the photos of RAF Airacobras on the first page and they show a similar paint outline -  nice attention to detail.

I spent a bit of time pondering whether to do the outlines or not Calum wondering if it would detract from the look, as like you pointed out, unless you have the pics of the real aircraft to hand it just looks like a badly done freehand paint job.  In the end accuracy won out.  As you know, Im all about the accuracy:D

10 hours ago, spitfire said:

That's looking great, it really suits RAF camouflage and markings, I would beware of using a white undercoat on roundels as I did that on a P-39 strangely enough and you could see the white on the edge of the markings, I had to sand them down and re do them.

p-39stars015.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

I was worried about that too Dennis, hence why I ddint do it, still not sure my way is the right way to do it though.  Is that the SH kit?  Youre doing a nice job, look forward to seeing more

Bruce

Bruce

Hi Bruce, yes it is the SH kit and it was a build that I did way back in 2009, mostly enjoyable but with some fiddley bits, but it can't have been too bad as I have a Soviet one and an RAF one to build at some time, plus I just had to buy a KH one as well.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With all the markings down, I started to weather the model with some airbrushed stains using the technique employed by Chris Wauchope, that is a highly thinned 50:50 mixture of tamiya redbrown and black

I will go back and add some oil leaks with oil paints .  Chipping was done was light grey, green and silver

34964161310_e13760b97d_b.jpgKH Airacobra  ,

and of course, I had to accidently drag a brush loaded with thinner across one of the lower roundels.  Can't have a model being done without flaws now:banghead:

35351426975_8a0868833a_b.jpgIMG_0034 by ,

35311606166_d2232c07a5_b.jpgIMG_0035 by ,

Thanks for continueing to look in and all the supportive comments

Bruce

• Like 7

That is looking fantastic Bruce, i really cant wait to see it 'in the flesh' so to speak, and well done for choosing the 'British ' scheme

Cheers mate

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Final parts being added

Im not sure KH have the landing gear doors correct.  Fitted as per instructions the lower doors overlap the upper doors.  I can not see this on any photos of the real aircraft.  I decided tp leave as is though as I want to get this finished before heading off on holidays

Gun Barrels are by Master.  I just need to fashion a pitot tube and aerial mast and she's about done

IMG_0049IMG_0048

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...