Westland Scout 1/48 kit mangle/scratch/trash/bash

hendie

it's alright folks - don't panic !    I found a good side on shot that gives a good indication of seat back height (in fact several shots now that I took the time to really look at the photo references

thanks for all the offers though

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 17:47, hendie said:

I'll be looking for everyone to shout out when (preferably before...) I get something wrong. I know nowt 'bout Scouts.  The exhaust thing you just mentioned being a prime example.  I saw what I thought were different exhausts in a few photo's but wasn't sure if it was the angle of the photo causing a visual wobbly.

I'll be doing a Scout AH1 around 1982/83 era - so are these exhausts usable ?  If not I think I'm down to using only about 4 parts of the kit now - and what should they look like  for that era ?

I think for that period you are going to need the larger exhausts, although I would advise checking the specific aircraft you are modelling as I do know that one of the Australian Scouts is still fitted with the early type.

Nice start on the kit BTW.

Martian

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hovis said:

Are these any good mate?

Excellent photo's Hovis - yes they will really help. - Thanks !

I took a shot of the first plastic seat in place to show the height.  This is sitting on top of the plastic base that's already in the kit.  I don't think it's too far off, but maybe just a tad high - thoughts ?

P2120001.jpg

I'm not sure if my description yesterday was really clear on how I made the seat.  I actually remembered to take a photo or two today while I was making another.

As I said, trying to get the two bends in the brass rod correct relative to each other in such a small scale is nigh on impossible (for me anyway) so I opted to cheat, and make one bend first and soldered that in place.  Once that was soldered, it was pretty easy to just keep filing the second piece of rod until it matched up with the first side, then that too was soldered in place.

P2120003.jpg

Ouch - my soldering is not pretty is it?   But once it's cleaned up it's not too bad, and this side will be hidden anyway. I was more concerned with keeping the reverse side clean

P2120004.jpg

I made the second seat back a bit shorter.  Just a millimeter or so but it seems to make a good bit of difference. Not so sure about the reinforcement plates though.  My pig's bosom's of fingers find it really hard to be neat at this scale - those reinforcement plates are only 3mm high. I think they need a little trim to narrow them a touch

P2120005.jpg

After ruining my eyesight doing those seats I took an easy job and sanded off all the detail on the kit floor.  I really don't think the inside of Scouts were fitted with 1/2 inch deep tread plate as Fujimi would have you think.  Of course that means I have now lost all my registration marks - so what's new

P2120008.jpg

Now, both seats (dry) fitted to gauge the height.  I could probably get away with using both as they are as I see that the second seat always appears to be lower than the drivers.... or it could bother me and I'll have to make another at some point in the future.

P2120007.jpg

Remember all that messy solder ?   Like I said - it doesn't really matter because once cushions are in place you won't see any of it - though I must really try and improve on my soldering skills.

P2120009.jpg

These are not the final cushions - I just happened to have this stuff lying around after my Wessex build.

The seat on the left definitely looks too tall so it looks like I'll be making another one over the next week or so.

• Like 10

I'd suggest making both seats the seats the same size, from what I've seem they are the same seat on two different subframes so that the pilot gets the height advantage over his oppo

As you say there is an obvious height change so sorting out the bases will fix that

The structure on the back seems to be the crash resistant brace for the seat harness assembly to bolt on

I occasionally teeter on the edge of paying some stupid EvilBay price for this kit, since it is the only one around in my preferred scale.  Having seen it in its full (ahem) glory I think I might keep my fingers crossed that someone will eventually release a new version!

• Like 2

yup, another seat will be entering the assembly line soon enough.

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I occasionally teeter on the edge of paying some stupid EvilBay price for this kit,

I know I paid over the odds for this one, but not too bad. There's been a couple in the last week going for $20 or under. 

With a little bit of fettling, tlc and 99% scratch building it may turn into a reasonable piece

• Like 1

Found you and finally finished laughing :rofl: talk about :deadhorse:

Question Why do you feel the need to base a model on a sucked Jelly Baby?

Found the Answer  I'll need to do some drawings first to get locations and dimensions of enginey bits before I can fire up the lathe.  "

Sorry couldn't resist a tease :wicked:

Looking forward to seeing more 'Hendie' scratch building at its finest ...

Are you using 'solder paint' ?

In for the ride 

Kev

• Like 4

Just now, longshanks said:

Are you using 'solder paint' ?

No, I'm just really bad at soldering.   I keep meaning to look into the liquid solder thing, but always end up buying something else instead.

2 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Question Why do you feel the need to base a model on a sucked Jelly Baby?

this is supposed to be a relaxing build to occasionally divert my attention from the train - which I'm now kinda itching to get back on with ! - but I'll need to make that other seat pretty soon to stop the kit from wandering off to the darkest depths of the man cave, never to return.

Actually, this is the final installment of when I were a lad in HK.    - I have the Islander, and the Dauphin of the RHKAAF, the Wessex of 28 Sqn, and this will (possibly?) be a Scout of 660 Sqn.

Where's the fun in just sticking bits of plastic together in a relaxed and dignified manner ?

• Like 4

Well I'm gutted.  The wife's new car just got rear ended this evening.  Second time in less than three months.   She's fine but a bit shaken which is understandable.  We've been in a&e for about 3 hours with no end in sight.  I need a beer... Or something a bit stronger

• Like 3

14 hours ago, hendie said:

Q: is solder paint the same as solder paste ?    I may have to resort to buying from the UK if they're not

I swear by solder paint at the kind of scale we're dealing with here.  I'd go so far as to say that it made soldering possible at 1/350, where trying to get pieces of solder in the right place before apolying the heat was driving me nuts.  I guess it is the same as paste, but mine comes in a paint tin that looks exactly like a Humbrol tin.  Fab stuff, and you don't need much flux, either.

Hope the Mrs picks up soon.  Nasty experience.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

Awful news about her crash, hope she stays well and unfortunate things happen to the crap idiot who assended her

You can tell I'm a calm and measured kind of bloke can't you?

Good, my missus can't. :(

Also glad you're making another chair for the driver or paxman too

For beer, I do have a nice Christmas vintage Old Golden Hen in the cellar I'm sure you'd like that

I hear dreadful rumours about the alcolollity of 'murrican beers, should I post it?

• Like 1