Westland Scout 1/48 kit mangle/scratch/trash/bash

hendie

I hesitate to call this a build thread just yet.  It's more of a holding area while I sort out what needs to be done. (and maybe keep Bill quiet for a little while).

This is purely a diversional build from my current train build which has now lasted around two years. I'll use this to provide myslef with some light entertainment when things get heavy down in train land.

So, what are we doing here ?  The topic title says "Scout" - it also says "1/48" and no-one make a 1/48 Scout do they ?  Well, of course not - why would I make it easy on myself ?

I am attempting to make a Scout AH1 from the Fujimi Westland Wasp something or other. Should be nice and easy n'est pas ?  Well let's take a look shall we...

First the good news.... the fuselage isn't too bad. There are a few gaps and some misalignment which should be easily fixed with a little fettle here and there. The bubble top canopy looks to be a good fit here on the starboard side.

P2080004.jpg

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the fit on the port side.  Nothing seems to match up at all, not to mention that there seems to be a divot missing from the top of the canopy.

P2080003.jpg

Well then folks, let's continue. Surely it can't be that bad now can it ?

What about the interior ?   Well, this isn't going to do.... looks like there will have to be some scratch building done in here.

P2090020.jpg

Oh my dear lord.... according to the instructions, this is the main rotor gearbox   :blink:

P2080008.jpg

And it does NOT get any better from here on in.... this bit of Robert the Robot with Bell-bottoms purports to be the engine :confused:

P2080006.jpg

This is "other bits" of the engine !  Looks like we had a bit of hole slippage there - don't you just hate when that happens ?

P2080007.jpg

The "almost" complete engine..... sorry this just isn't going to do !

P2090023.jpg

EHhrrrrrrrrrrrr..... No !   No freakin' way !   Sorry sir, it just ain't happenin'

P2090022.jpg

OK Bill... happy now are you ? look wot you went and done !  

I foresee some scratching in my future - now I need to do lots of reseaaaaarch cos I'm pretty sure the engine, gearbox, interior and other bits do not look like the parts supplied with this kit. 

... to be continued (but probably not anytime soon!)

• Like 15

Since you knew I'd bite

M U N C HHH

The tailpipes are actually not awful  ish

Ok that's my lot....

Guess what?

I'll be around sometimes

When Wopsie isn't taxing my ingenuity  :(

would anyone by any chance Bill, have a decent drawing of the engine ? preferably a side on, and top view ?

I've seen a few isometrics on t'interweb, but they're not much good for getting dimensions from - oh, and does anyone have any dimensions ?

oh dear... it's started

• Like 2

Hendie

it's reputed that the Fujimi  Wasp kit is 1/50th,  certainly some  of their "1/48th" plane kits (Mirage, Skyhawk) are.  I don't  know either way, and I don't have the kit.

Airwar.ru  has  some plans

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw2/wasp.html

credited to Bob Hunt, which maybe of use if  someone here knows if they are cobblers or not.

Primeportal  has a 3 page walkround of a Scout

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/jon_davies/westland_scout_ah1_xt626/index.php?Page=1

lots of engine shots,  which enlarge when clicked

westland_scout_ah1_xt626_06_of_54.jpg

Others will know more, but these may help?

cheers

T

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

it's reputed that the Fujimi  Wasp kit is 1/50th

I reckon it's pretty close to 1/48 from my drawings and comparing them to the Wasp. The bones of the kit are okay and it certainly seems they vary between mouldings. My canopy fits quite well but I agree entirely with the engine and interior comments - scratchbuilding is compulsory! I'm building a new tail for mine currently and will put more pics up soon. I'll be watching this one with interest.

• Like 2

Wasp to Scout is that a negative of Perdu's Scout to Wasp?

Interesting project mind if I follow along as well - like to watch scratch building masters at work!

Roger

That kit is a shocker, I do like the 'John Wayne with a dustbin on his head' engine. I started on a Wasp and did a lot of the interior but seem to be stuck, looking for inspiration on that engine and also all the canopy. Maybe if someone could shine a light and show the way I could stir enough enthusiasm for it. Although I must say going for skid undercarriage is a bit of a cop out! :devil: but it will lend lots of opportunity for a bit of fine scale welding! I think this could be your toughest task yet???

Cracketh oneth young man :D

Bob

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bell209 said:

I'll be watching this one with interest.

and vice versa !   

I'll try and stay a few stages behind you so that you can do all the hard work and figure out the problems ahead of me ! 

Well, it looks like there's lots of interest in this little adventure - should be a fun ride !

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Blimey, you don't half pick 'em!

Let's not focus on the negative aspects of the kit and instead, look at this as an opportunity    :rage:  Hey, as Crisp said earlier - this may be my quick win !  (which is a.k.a. The kiss of death to us engineers around here!)

13 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

The exhaust pipes are not too far out for an early Scout so you might be able to use them.

I'll be looking for everyone to shout out when (preferably before...) I get something wrong. I know nowt 'bout Scouts.  The exhaust thing you just mentioned being a prime example.  I saw what I thought were different exhausts in a few photo's but wasn't sure if it was the angle of the photo causing a visual wobbly.

I'll be doing a Scout AH1 around 1982/83 era - so are these exhausts usable ?  If not I think I'm down to using only about 4 parts of the kit now - and what should they look like  for that era ?

• Like 3

Its all right for you, you get the rotor gear which seems OKish

I have to re-engineer the whole lot on mine so I can fit it on a beer mat

(Yes Tomo, it'll fit)

Full story on my thread when I get to the RFI in November or Christmas...

Or whenever

;)

• Like 1

How about we call it a Scouse?

For those that don't know, Scouse is a nickname for someone from Liverpool

But is also a traditional Liverpool stew consisting of whatever could be found

to throw into the pot at the end of the week. And it looks like Hendie will be

throwing an awful lot into this pot!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

I won't be able to help with anything here other than an occasional "well done old boy!", but crack on!

I'll take what I can get !

1 hour ago, John_W said:

The engine is a little challenging

oh you wordsmith you

• Like 4

6 hours ago, hendie said:
17 hours ago, Bell209 said:

I'll be watching this one with interest.

and vice versa !   

I'll try and stay a few stages behind you so that you can do all the hard work and figure out the problems ahead of me ! 

Oh, nice one! Just finished making the new vertical fin last night. Pics hopefully later today.

• Like 1

Colin - the more the merrier.

After much phaffing about this morning, I decided that I would start on the interior.  I really wanted to start on the engine, but I'll need to do some drawings first to get locations and dimensions of enginey bits before I can fire up the lathe.   So, back to the interior.... The seats seemed fair game.

Some 5 thou styrene was cut to shape, some lightening holes drilled, then I started adding the tubular frame around the seat back.  The aluminum tape came in handy as the superglue could peel off easily without damaging the seat.

P2110001.jpg

Two seat backs done.

P2110002.jpg

The seat pan was formed by curling up the front end of the strip around a small drill bit.  then two small strips were glued either side tp help everything hold it's shape.

P2110003.jpg

And here we have a new seat side by side with the kit seat.

P2110005.jpg

The new seat in place to get an idea of what's going on.

P2110006.jpg

Then I decided I didn't like the styrene version. :confused:  and decided to start all over again.

... this time in brass. :mental:  (and promptly forgot to take progress photo's)

Unfortunately, I've never been in or even very near a Scout/Wasp/Scouse/Waut so I only have photo's to go on - and of course, they only tell part of the story.  I have some decent photo's of the seats, good detail photo's - but they're generally close-ups. So trying to get an idea of how large the seat is in relation to the rest of the Scout is not easy.  So I ended up basing my dimensions on the kit seat - and this may well come back to bite me later

Also, I'm assuming that the kit seat back is at a reasonably accurate angle.

P2110007.jpg

This is about the first half decent photo of the brass seat.   It was actually surprisingly easy to make. The brass is 5 thou - I used a new blade to score an 8mm wide strip from my brass stock. I then cut that to a length longer than I knew I was going to need.  Lightening holes drilled again, then the tubular frame was formed by bending some brass rod around a small diameter drill. The frame is in reality two separate pieces - it's ridiculously difficult to get two bends accurate so I made one bend, cut the rod to length, then used another piece of rod for the other side. I just kept filing the end of the brass rod until it met the sides of the seat (if that makes sense)

I waited until I had bent the rod before I added a radius to the seat back - that way I could make an attempt to match the radii.  Once the tubular frame was soldered in place, I folded the remainder of the brass strip up to make the basis for the seat pan.

It doesn't look very pretty from this side - but there will be seat cushions to hide all the solder.  The rear face is nice and clean (but I forgot to photograph it.)

P2110008.jpg

Again, a small drill was used as a former to round the front end of the seat pan. Then some small brass strips were added along the sides to add some strength.

P2110009.jpg

Then, once all the excess brass was filed, trimmed or otherwise removed, some more brass rod was brought into play to make the angled supports at the side of the seat

Here we have kit seat, my first attempt, then the brass seat

P2110010.jpg

and a front view - I haven't trimmed the brass rod yet because I'm not 100% sure how it's shaped or where it goes once it gets below the level of the seat.

P2110011.jpg

Now the real question... and I think I know what the answer is.... is - are these seats too big ? (I think the seat backs are probably a bit too tall  :undecided:  )

Does anyone have a clear photo of how high the seat backs are in relation to, for example, the door pillar ?  I'll have another look but I don't think I have a good photo that lets me gauge the correct height

• Like 7

Nice to see a scout being done Hendie, there seem to be a number of 1/48 - 1/50 dilemmas out there. I have been after a gazelle for a while and Heller do one but in 1/50.  Might work ok when I space them out on the diorama.  Think there is a 1/48 gazelle but not army version. Will be watching the scout with  interest - I think a scout is the Wattisham gate guardian at the moment.

There are lots of pictures out there, including a walkaround of one of the Scouts in the RAN FAA Museum. It's an ex-Army Scout, so it's probably good for yours. Lots of engine and interior pics, too.

There is a pic of the seats from behind in one of my file pics, when I come back from Huddersfield this evening I'll look it out for you

I'm glad you are using my experience on the Wasp to recognise the Scale Creep phernommenonn. :(

The brass seat looks brilliant, I have a couple of Through A Perspex Screen Darkly pics of the seat leg bases too in my files

Looks as if I should sub out seat making to the expert, I hope transatlantic postage is reasonable

;)

With all that available seating you seem to be opening your own Ikea showroom in miniature hendie. Lovely crafting. I've some shots taken a few years back of my youngest lording it in a Wasp at Yeovilton - I'll dig into the archives to see if there's any representative seat/surrpunding structure comparisons for you.

Tony

• Like 1