New look for Air Canada

Jessica

Here's their press release with some profiles and an explanation of the scheme components.  The black windshield mask is reminiscent of a Trans Canada Airlines sheme. And, yes, there is a maple leaf on the fuselage side of the engine nacelle.

https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/aircanada/portal/documents/PDF/media/livery/illustrative_guide_en.pdf

Edited by buzz
  • Like 1

That is a good illustrative guide, giving nice profile drawings of 20 of their aircraft in the new liveries.

Here is Air Canada's video of the masking and re-painting of the real thing.

Mike

• Like 3

I'm surprised to see that they painted the new colors without stripping the old paint. In any case, if they were hoping for a bold and unique look, I think the sky blue was as good as it gets. Now they look like everyone else!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, wanthony said:

I'm surprised to see that they painted the new colors without stripping the old paint

So was I, they must be flushed with cash if they can afford all that extra weight.... unless the blue was just a primer that they never top coated?

I'm building an Embraer, was going to do it in the blue, but now fancy that scheme looks quite cool!

Bob

I thought the idea of belly markings was to advertise the airline. I  don't think that maple leaf of red on black is going to show up too well at ten thousand feet let alone thirty. I  think the rouge scheme is far more representative of a Canadian national carrier.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

So was I, they must be flushed with cash if they can afford all that extra weight.... unless the blue was just a primer that they never top coated?

Or maybe a temporary paint job just for the ceremony? Or maybe because it's all just a joke! :idea:

I like those time lapse vids of aeroplane paint scheme changes. I only wish it could be done that quick on a model .;)

Re the new scheme, it reminds me of the Delta one a bit and BA.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wanthony said:

I'm surprised to see that they painted the new colors without stripping the old paint. In any case, if they were hoping for a bold and unique look, I think the sky blue was as good as it gets. Now they look like everyone else!

Look closely at the aircraft after that first spray pass; they did strip it. The problem with the urinal mint blue is that it disappears into the sky at a distance, something the marketers don't like very much.

5 hours ago, Jessica said:

Look closely at the aircraft after that first spray pass; they did strip it. The problem with the urinal mint blue is that it disappears into the sky at a distance, something the marketers don't like very much.

So now they'll have to put up with people thinking it's Delta.

Some bits I like such as the black strip round the windshield and well, that's about it really. It does have a kind of "retro" look to it of sorts as does the route map in the PDF document linked above. It'll probably grow on me. 

Decals are available already on eBay from rugburna (or 'er'?).

Jeff 

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

14 hours ago, Jessica said:

You're right! Looks like the paint stripper was actually the first coat of white!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 6:44 PM, Jessica said:

I seem to remember that the CAA made Air UK relinquish their pale blue scheme 35 years or so ago: it was deemed to be, in effect, air-to-air camouflage.

49 minutes ago, KevinK said:

I seem to remember that the CAA made Air UK relinquish their pale blue scheme 35 years or so ago: it was deemed to be, in effect, air-to-air camouflage.

Give it a few years, every airframe will be (forcibly) painted Trainer Black.

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:59 AM, Rob G said:

Give it a few years, every airframe will be (forcibly) painted Trainer Black.

Well, a wee bit of black isn't so bad!!:lol:

011-6.jpga017-1.jpg

Edited by Albeback52