B17F COLOUR ??

MalX

Confused dot com.. How many are you/have you built/building then ?

i've had two texas raiders like that...............the plans are for another one like that at 1/48 and one at 1/72 (which will be 909) .................because the TR that you see here is scrapped, i only keep her for future colour reference, she looks ok because those photos were taken before she ran into trouble.

909 i'll start first and i'll redo Texas Raiders around the summer time, because i've got two other models to do next (not aircraft)

Edited by MalX

I think the problem with the build above is that the Light Grey undersides are throwing off the Olive Green upper surfaces, if you were to re do the underneath in a darker Grey as per the pictures linked to earlier in the thread you'll see a notable difference overall.

Have you ever used Xtracolor paints? They do a faded WWII Olive Drab X113 and also ANA613 Olive Drab X112. I know the purists amongst us will say the latter appeared after the USAAF stopped camouflaging their a/c, but I think they'll be closer to your needs than Humbrol.

2+variantes+OD+blog.PNG

Edited by scotthldr

yes the underside of both TR and the green disaster were too light, the OD you've shown .......no 41 on the left is very close to the TR Humbrol, i've lost the number, but that Humbrol paint shouldn't be hard to trace.

yes i re-edit my posts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humbrol-Enamels-14ml-Olive-Drab-Matt-AA1688-HUM155-/111185883821?hash=item19e331f2ad:g:ZNcAAOSwDuJWztdv

i'm pretty sure this is the TR Olive Drab, the colour is very dark, whatever the case, it's easy to colour match to the existing Texas Raiders engines......because this is the only part of the model that's the existing colour 

this colour on my model is a close colour match to the engines on this photo.

354-texas-raider.jpg

Edited by MalX

13 minutes ago, MalX said:

yes i re-edit my posts.

So just as a matter of interest what particular mood swing are any of us replying to at any given time? This whole thread seems to have been started not to seek information but simply to be an exercise in trolling.  

photos of the underside aren't common but it appears to look like this....................mine are wrong, the exhaust goes back in a straight band roughly, but definitely not fan shaped, it would probably be more than this, or the same, but the shape is what's important, oh well better late than never i suppose.

why are the inner engines booting out more exhaust stain than the outers ?

B-17%20BELLY1.jpg

Edited by MalX

Just out of curiosity, I put the above image through photoshop, and set it to auto correct. It lightened the image.

This goes to prove that all is not as it appears in photographs. You are chasing an illusion.

• Like 1

You're failing to grasp that all the photographs that you are referring to are of restored aircraft and not how they actually appeared during the war. The Grey on the underside of the last pic is far far too light, which in turn knocks off the actual colour of the Green. Also referring to pictures that you post then delete half an hour later doesn't help anyone.

I'm starting to think like Milne bay above in that you're not going to listen to any help/advice given to you, and with that I'm out of this thread.

Good luck whichever way you progress.

• Like 1

it's obvious it didn't look like that in the war and it's pretty obvious the underside is way too bright as well, because that is almost white ............if you read my post carefully  i said it's the shape of the exhaust stain that's important, the photo of the underside is only uploaded to show the exhaust and that's obvious. 

it seems to me that you two are are holding a grudge from yesterday and you probably always will, so you're off this thread, well it's probably a good thing, because you'll only carry on having a go. 

the photo i deleted was this one and it's hardly surprising, because i dont really want members to see my goof ! 

b17%20maybe_1.jpg

Edited by MalX

I honestly think you're over thinking this, or at least approaching the subject of weathering in a way that most modellers don't find works very well.

I also think part of your problem with the impression of the model is that your Neutral Gray underside is so light it almost looks white in these photographs. Cameras do lie, but the extremely light undersides are making the olive drabs look darker.

Are you brush painting this model?

8 hours ago, MalX said:

............if you read my post carefully  

That's half the problem, reading your posts is like trying to decipher the Enigma code. They make hardly any sense, then you go back and edit it to make it no sense.

9 hours ago, MalX said:

it seems to me that you two are are holding a grudge from yesterday and you probably always will, so you're off this thread, well it's probably a good thing, because you'll only carry on having a go. 

Holding a grudge about what exactly?  It's not me that's buggered up my model due to the fact I can't take on board advice from others.

9 hours ago, MalX said:

to see my goof ! 

Spot on with that one, it's your goof, not mine, and not any other members. To be honest I was out of this thread the moment you decided to blame the members for your mistakes, however I did think that maybe you were just having a bad day as we all have them, but it's clear that it's your overall attitude and downright rudeness that's affecting your modelling. May I suggest that before you even go looking for any photographic material or asking for more help is to go and check your attitude and offering an apology to the members for your earlier outburst wouldn't go a miss either.

If you want to carry on this conversion them PM me.

14 hours ago, scotthldr said:

I think the problem with the build above is that the Light Grey undersides are throwing off the Olive Green upper surfaces, if you were to re do the underneath in a darker Grey as per the pictures linked to earlier in the thread you'll see a notable difference overall.

Have you ever used Xtracolor paints? They do a faded WWII Olive Drab X113 and also ANA613 Olive Drab X112. I know the purists amongst us will say the latter appeared after the USAAF stopped camouflaging their a/c, but I think they'll be closer to your needs than Humbrol.

2+variantes+OD+blog.PNG

You could have included credit for the original work as well as the website they came from (not mine) when reproducing that data taken directly from my own PDF on the subject and which is still available, free of charge:-

Restitution sRGB des couleurs d'après "The development of USAAC/USAAF Olive Drab" © 2013 Nicolas Millman

Thanks!

Nick

PS On a technical point the colour is 'Olive Drab' - neither brown nor green. It is in fact a Munsell Yellow, hard though that might be to believe but confirmed by original US data measuring manufacturers samples. Of 28 Olive drab paints officially tested all were Munsell Y. Olive drabs are usually very dark yellows rather than greens per se. With Xtracolor's versions I found it always better to add yellow to them.

• Like 1

Gents, can you all play nice in this thread or we will shut it down. 

Also if you reference someone else's work, even if they offer it as a free resource it is proper that you at least give them some credit for it.

thx

3 hours ago, scotthldr said:

That's half the problem, reading your posts is like trying to decipher the Enigma code. They make hardly any sense, then you go back and edit it to make it no sense.

Holding a grudge about what exactly?  It's not me that's buggered up my model due to the fact I can't take on board advice from others.

Spot on with that one, it's your goof, not mine, and not any other members. To be honest I was out of this thread the moment you decided to blame the members for your mistakes, however I did think that maybe you were just having a bad day as we all have them, but it's clear that it's your overall attitude and downright rudeness that's affecting your modelling. May I suggest that before you even go looking for any photographic material or asking for more help is to go and check your attitude and offering an apology to the members for your earlier outburst wouldn't go a miss either.

If you want to carry on this conversion them PM me.

why dont you leave my thread alone.....yesterday you said you were off, so why the hell have you returned today?????? you started this fight yesterday, you're trolling this thread on purpose now.........no i dont want to PM you, ....... i only talk in private to friends, i dont want you trolling my PM as well as here!!!!!!

you're playing some sort of twisted game on purpose, the Olive Drab post from you above looks like a well disguised troll.....you're not saying to me, ``i'll help you``.............you're saying to me `` you're an idiot, this is how to do it`` ........... this is the problem when you attack someone online, they see you very quickly as an enemy and they wont trust anything you post in to them as a reply ever again....even if it's genuine.

i knew this morning before coming here, that you would have posted in that, because you see this on every other forum..........FACT, it's a classic hate post, you know that and everyone knows that

i expect you'll attack me again on every thread even in 6 months time, because there's no way back from this when you're on a forum......once you've made an enemy it's for life! 

i for one, would like this thread locked and deleted, it's of no use to anyone.......the only thing i'll admit to, is i shouldn't have lost my temper online when i ruined it, but that wouldn't have happened if i had painted her gloss first and left her to dry for a week before hand.

in any case, before i ruined her i noticed this, ``the paint is now way too thick, the panel detailing has vanished, this model is no good now, it needs remaking from scratch``.............so i was planning to scrap it anyway.

next time, it has to be painted in one coat and the correct shade of OD, because the weathering is only a fine wash.

it's strange, because i became obsessed with getting to the right colour, without noticing that i was loosing panel detailing, i was returning home from work tired and thinking.....``i'll give her another coat before going shopping and then another when i get back``.

but the fault is easy to see now, i just had the wrong colour to start with.  

TR only took 2 days to weather after the initial coats were applied a week before.........simply because a week later, her paint was rock hard gloss OD and able to resist any mistakes i made, but the oil stains i tried to remove from this latest disaster with white spirit took the wing back to bare plastic!!!!!!

voila.......... so now members see where i went wrong 

Edited by MalX

In all my time of being a member on here and many other forums I have never came across anyone as delusional as you.

Also you don't have to worry about any posts from me anytime in the future, cause my time is spent better elsewhere.

Nick, apologies for not giving you any credit for the reference material an oversight on my behalf. I actually just picked it off the Google images page and pasted it on here as a link, some how it's embedded the image. Once again apologies.

• Like 3

so what's next.........i might actually redo the B17F but i dont know when i'll start it, because i want a break from all of this hassle for now, it looks like i'm finished on this forum anyway because as said, there's no way i'll be able to start a thread ever again 

Edited by MalX

2 hours ago, scotthldr said:

Nick, apologies for not giving you any credit for the reference material an oversight on my behalf. I actually just picked it off the Google images page and pasted it on here as a link, some how it's embedded the image. Once again apologies.

Thanks for that! Understood! In fact the blog owner had not requested permission to publish the data but he did credit it underneath.

Nick

Guys.  There seems to be a complete ignorance of the rules here, with personal attacks beginning to surface here & there.  Max - you're not helping by having a dig at people when they're leaving a thread.  You are coming across as a bit trollish at times as a result.  Everyone else that seems to be getting confused or irritated by this thread does have the option of just never posting here again.

If we have to get involved here again, there will be consequences for the combatants.  Play nicely or don't play at all :)

• Like 1