EE Canberra - correcting the Airfix tailplane

71chally

Again from a WB.57F but applicable to all B.57's, this is the plate added to the tail plain to "help" clean up the aerodynamics around the gap. I think the plate was deeper in it's origanel form(I may be wrong?) as it is in this photo is quite like the one on the English Electric item. 

WB.57F%20tail%20plane_zpskivexap8.jpg

John 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Wooksta! said:

James, have a think about doing this again but as a master for a possible fix for the kit.  Not everyone has your skills but could probably hack out the relevent plastic and insert a new resin piece!

I'd be in for a couple if you did James.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

James, have a think about doing this again but as a master for a possible fix for the kit.  Not everyone has your skills but could probably hack out the relevent plastic and insert a new resin piece!

I could be in for half a dozen, and I might know a man with a similar requirement.

• Like 2

Wow, wasn't expecting this level of interest!

Pat, nice idea, but personally I still build the older kits, they are quite useful for flight display examples.

@The Wooksta!, great suggestion and one I have thought about.  

A single piece resin tailplane assembly would be great, and would reduce the work to much less than an hour of cutting the relevant section out of the fuselage tail area.

It would also have the advantage of not having to keep, and prepare, those upper tail cone fairings, which does take time.

Inclusion of the two root fairings in resin would also be great, as would a mask or guide for the tailcone cut out.

A new tailplane section would possibly work on most of the other 72nd kits as well (Xtrakit and Highplanes have fragile tailplane mounts, and Matchbox incorrect chord), however I'm not going to chop them ahead of building them to work it out.

I can't see why it this can't be done in 48th either.

I would definitely be up for a few of these myself.

Having said all that, I know nowt about resin.  

I would be really pleased to prepare masters to anyone who can produce this, maybe even approach Alleycat, Freightdog etc with a proposal?

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...

Dragging this one out of hibernation ...

Did anything come of the proposal to do this conversion in resin, in either scale? I have a couple of CA Canberras to do (one as a 2RAAF Vietnam aircraft, the other as one of the white Woomera fleet) and, being the lazy bugger that I am, if I don't have to go through the complete nausea I'd be more than happy!

26 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

26 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Dragging this one out of hibernation ...

Did anything come of the proposal to do this conversion in resin, in either scale? I have a couple of CA Canberras to do (one as a 2RAAF Vietnam aircraft, the other as one of the white Woomera fleet) and, being the lazy bugger that I am, if I don't have to go through the complete nausea I'd be more than happy!

Not that I'm aware of, from memory the CA Canberra is a bit better in this area, but still not correct. Nice choice of subjects btw.

John

Thanks to you both - looks like I'm in for the full nausea ... I may look at setting up a master (in 1:48, since that will be where I'm working) but getting it produced is beyond my resources. I know that my usual source of supply has a long backlog of casting jobs with their usual caster, so I'll likely have to look elsewhere. I've got to sort out a 1:72 Catalina nacelle set first, though!

John, the CA kit is better in that the mounting stubs on the fuselage do at least incorporate the dihedral. There's been absolutely no attempt to replicate the moving centre section, though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Thanks to you both - looks like I'm in for the full nausea ... I may look at setting up a master (in 1:48, since that will be where I'm working) but getting it produced is beyond my resources. I know that my usual source of supply has a long backlog of casting jobs with their usual caster, so I'll likely have to look elsewhere. I've got to sort out a 1:72 Catalina nacelle set first, though!

John, the CA kit is better in that the mounting stubs on the fuselage do at least incorporate the dihedral. There's been absolutely no attempt to replicate the moving centre section, though.

True, if I can find the time I may have a stab at it too. I know a man with the where with all to do the casting. 

John

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 71chally said:

John, I'm happy to try and dig out the tailplane that I have modified and provide it to you, if that would help in producing something?

That would be good James. I;ll have a word with the man that can, and see if he will!

John

On 24/07/2019 at 07:08, 71chally said:

John, I'm happy to try and dig out the tailplane that I have modified and provide it to you, if that would help in producing something?

James, did you modify 1:48 Airfix parts as well as the 1:72? I suspect there is a market for both.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

As indicated above, I'll look at the 1:48 version. I'm off to Murica for a month on Monday, and I've promised to do another job when I get back, but I should have a master ready by late October. I dragged out one of my 1:48 Airfix Canberras yesterday and noted that it needs the same mod., so it should be worth someone's while to do it in resin ...

• Like 1

most of it, it doesn't appear to remedy the gap in the tail cone and variable incidence malarky, and the two small leading edge fixed tailplane portions, depends how far you want to go.

Not seen that set before and it does look nice.

Edited by 71chally

• 3 months later...

Well, I've started looking at this in 1:48. I'm happy (?) to say that the Airfix B.2/6/20 etc. plastic looks like the 1:72 kit scaled up, so James' conversion should work the same way. I'll move to the CA kit when I've done with Mr Airfix's offering. 

• Like 2