Heller 1/400 Victorious

Here's one i did earlier, its the venerable Heller Illustrious built as HMS Victorious in her early war years, actually not a lot of the original kit survived, there is probably more (St) Peter Hall (White Ensign phot etch set) than Heller in the result, as the kit only bears a passing resemblance to the actual class of ships, lets hope someone comes up with a decent 1/350 kit, as I do think they were very attractive carriers. Aircraft and crew were L'Arsenal, the crew were cut down a bit from thier 1/350 figures (there are about 160 of the little blighters), the rest is bits and bobs of plasticard and brass.

P9240566_zps636w5m1u.jpgP9240568_zpsfvokfytq.jpgP9240570_zpscsuraili.jpgP9240597_zpsgr9mpdjr.jpgP9240571_zpsectrxloq.jpgP9240579_zpsdptleepe.jpgP9240581_zpsit2kpmwc.jpgP9240592_zpsc4uoa4eo.jpg

• Like 44

Thank you gentlemen :smile:  I must admit I am rather proud of it, there is a certain family link with Victorious so it was a bit of a labour of love, my father served on her in the early sixties (in her heavily rebuilt guise) and I was Christened onboard in the ships bell in 1962 !

The model was built over 5 years, off and on, with lots of other little projects in between, in terms of hours I shudder to think, I still wake up in the middle of the night covered in sweat thinking about 1/400 scale duffle coats.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave Ancona said:

Thank you gentlemen :smile:  I must admit I am rather proud of it, there is a certain family link with Victorious so it was a bit of a labour of love, my father served on her in the early sixties (in her heavily rebuilt guise) and I was Christened onboard in the ships bell in 1962 !

The model was built over 5 years, off and on, with lots of other little projects in between, in terms of hours I shudder to think, I still wake up in the middle of the night covered in sweat thinking about 1/400 scale duffle coats.

I did wonder if there was a family connection when I saw your surname!

• Like 2

Oh dear, that could either be a good thing or maybe not !!!

In my defence, should it be necesary, I come from the arty side of the family, my sister and I are the creative side, whilst my younger brother followed dad into the RN and is now way more crunchy than any of us !

3 hours ago, Dave Ancona said:

In my defence, should it be necesary, I come from the arty side of the family, my sister and I are the creative side, whilst my younger brother followed dad into the RN and is now way more crunchy than any of us !

Wow, good job on such a poor starting point, it's stunning, I think they were the best looking carriers of the war and fingers crossed for a decent kit of them.

Funnily enough I worked with your brother about fifteen years back when he was a commander, small world isn't it

Richard

• Like 2

Probably the best model I have seen of this old kit.You have done an excellent job,very smart.looks the part,which I think is just as important,as getting the detail right.Thanks for sharing these pictures. Flyhawk  are bring  out a 1/700 HMS Illustrious later this year.

• Like 1

A real stunning piece,one of the best carrier build's we've seen here of any scale or manufacturer but being the basic Heller kit

really set's the bar high.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dave Ancona said:

I am not a naval man myself, but was recently watching an episode of QI in which your sister mentioned your father and brother!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

I am not a naval man myself, but was recently watching an episode of QI in which your sister mentioned your father and brother!

Yesss, I think Im the only one in the family still talking to her, after they all romped through every possible "Hello sailor", and "in the Navy" joke they could think of !!

11 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Excellent work! Any chance of some more close up photos of your work, please? 

Hi Paul, I will see what I have, but close ups do make me cringe a bit !

• Like 1