Hope's Sword (4 x Eduard 1/72 Spitfires)

Apparently, 'Russet' as a name for a colour has been around since at least 1562:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russet_(color)

Before that it seems it was the name of an itchy reddish brown material, enforced clothing for working class people. By decree. In England, of course. 

Conjures up images of the value system and clothing in the Monty Python 'repressed' sketch for me.

They are nice spuds though 🥔.

I needed to know what colour to paint a Spitfire seat today. Now I know all I need to do, is go and have a quick look at our potatoes 🥔  :) 🥔 .

Hope you get more than a silver pencil for your birthday PC. We might have to have a whip round for you if not :unsure:.

All the best

TonyT

• Like 4

Dear god, have you all been so nice to me because you genuinely think I'm simple? I know russet is a real colour.

Little done tonight. Tried adding walkways on one Spitty, which is not one of my favourite things to attempt.

32538420143_9dc8fa208a_h.jpg20170309_222846 by Edward IX, on Flickr

For some reason the stencils seem prone to silvering, so I hit them with some Solvaset. We'll see if it settles their hash.

I think the exhaust stacks came out nice, though, so that's something. 

• Like 13

19 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Dear god, have you all been so nice to me because you genuinely think I'm simple?

Of course not, mind you, that wasn't the first reply I thought of, or the second or third, but it was the first I dared type. :D

Steve.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Dear god, have you all been so nice to me because you genuinely think I'm simple?

Umm... no... no, of course not! :giggle:

I seem too have lost my decal-fu over the last year or so. I am thinking of using the Cookenbacher mask-and-paint method for the walkway markings in future as I can't imagine that being more stressful than transfers silvering left, right and centre.

Those russet exhausts do look rather nice, too B)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Dear god, have you all been so nice to me because you genuinely think I'm simple? I know russet is a real colour.

No, no. I like to think of you as Britmodelers own Ralph Wiggims. :tease:

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 1

I use a different approach to chipping.  

I spray the airframe with a silver acrylic rattle can I buy from Halfords straight over the plastic (frequently whilst the model is still on the spruce then touch up after sanding etc.  I spray my camouflage over the top of that using Xtracrylics.  The Halfords paint is harder than Xtracrylics so you can wear away the top surface with a cocktail stick leaving the silver underneath.  Bit of Matt coat and you get a feasonable representation..

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

No, no. I like to think of you as Britmodelers own Ralph Wiggims. :tease:

Left out one of my favourites: "Smell that, Ralph? That's the smell of justice."

"It smells like hot dogs."

• Like 4

Do worry when people are too nice to you... I know I do.

Great Spit though, and the walkways look very convincing and straight.

Furthermore, russet has a nice ring to it. I like it. 

jr

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Procopius said:

I know russet is a real colour.

I also know this- my wife has a very pretty silk gown in russet. I will certainly remember to not mention that her 'wow the client' business dress is a good match for an oxidised Spitfire exhaust. She also has a stunning evening gown in Eau De Nil which is no longer worn in my company because I happened once to say that it was a close match to the under surfaces of a spitfire. She would not be told that the colour was very fashionable in the 30s when the RAF also used it.

Will

Come to think of it, the dress she wore during our wedding breakfast was very close to Extra Dark Sea Grey.... and I wore a dark green suit, so I suppose together we were in the temperate sea scheme...

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 11

So I flipped things around and decided the other IXe will be a French aircraft in late 1944 with French roundels and overpainted RAF markings. The overpainting of the roundels obliterated parts of the wing walk lines, so I resolved to do the overpainting after I put them on. Fortunately I had a circle template left over from a failed foray into armour (many kits were bought, none were built, all were resold at a loss -- result!), so I found a circle that matched up with the RAF roundel:

33369576805_fa53988483_h.jpg20170310_215726 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I overlaid it on the wing exactly as you see here, and sprayed Gunze RAF Dark Green lacquer -- this has the twin virtues of being quick to dry, and also distinctively different colour-wise from the Colourcoats RAF Dark Green.

32986901040_44f6c71bd6_h.jpg20170310_215655 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Tada! Not perfect, but not a disastrous first attempt.

33214075502_0894a528af_h.jpg20170310_215646 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 19

That looks good. Gives it a field applied look to repaint the brit markings. Doubt they would have brushed/sprayed a perfect circle 🤘🏿

I did something similar but in 48th for a US spit - Great minds and all that...

Also, next month I was going to do the soviet and frog spits along with some other foreign ones for my Quattro combo. Need to find some other decals now... :wall:

Seen some turkish ones at the big yellow H :idea:

If the roundel were to be over-sprayed by a Swiss, the circle would have been perfect. For a roundel over-painted by a French, a square will do!

Great show in using a different green. Except it is a mistake: the French were known to use russet....

JR

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, jean said:

Except it is a mistake: the French were known to use russet....

5 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I think the key was that you didn't russ et.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, jean said:

If the roundel were to be over-sprayed by a Swiss, the circle would have been perfect. For a roundel over-painted by a French, a square will do!

Great show in using a different green. Except it is a mistake: the French were known to use russet....

JR

:rofl:

and a great pun from TT :rofl: 

I love your threads PC, great modelling, human interest, a few giggles and so educational (even if I do have to look things up). 

For other numbskulls like me William of Ockham is attributed with 'Occam's Razor' (the easy solution is often the best) and 'redux' is Latin for returning or bring back. More stuff for my small brain.

The Muppets always have a suitable quote...

• Like 3

Well, Mrs P got sick from her students, and then she got Winston sick, and then he got me sick, again, a causal chain I'm growing incredibly sick of. As a boy my father forbade me from getting closer than ten feet away if I was sick, and now I see why. 

33348828866_160b878ac4_h.jpgA sick little boy by Edward IX, on Flickr

My mother in law is also in town -- hooray -- but it did mean I got to take an enormously long nap today, so I raise my glass to her, from a safe distance.

In any case, I felt spry and rested (albeit with a sore throat and drugged up on cold medicine) and so set about decalling with a vengeance. I realized, however, that I'd failed to "paint over" the fuselage roundels on the French Spitfire, so had to get out my template. Regrettably, the appropriately-sized circle was in an inconvenient spot on the template, but nothing's impossible when you don't care too much about doing a good job.

33261653891_fd2294ba97_h.jpg20170311_214059 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I applied the codes and serials first, then sprayed. One side got a bit bollixed up because there was a stray hair that teleported onto it, but hopefully self-leveling thinner will sort it out. On the plus side, it resulted in a partially-painted over stencil, which is a cool little detail, don't you think? 

33348828226_f460869b67_h.jpg20170311_213822 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The other side came out rather better.

33261654721_5baeb72ec8_h.jpg20170311_213836 by Edward IX, on Flickr

An enthusiastic application of Solvaset damaged one wing decal, but thanks to my new Prismacolor pencils (which I received today, and which don't seem to be my birthday present), I think we can make it look like "weathering" rather than "clumsiness".

33348827686_9d8f830cb9_h.jpg20170311_213852 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Also got started on Gabszewicz's F.IX. (Fun fact for my Polish readers: I am terrible at pronouncing words I've only read -- and not just foreign ones -- and I was saying it Gab-see-wicks until a kindly Polish coworker took pity on me.)

33348826476_059d0fc1fe_h.jpg20170311_223312 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Honestly, I think Eduard's "boxing dog" is rather poor. Techmod's looks much nicer.

I also started on the Soviet one. The lightning bolt is a three-part decal, and involves a lot of holding one's breath:

32546488304_22722d3d04_h.jpg20170311_225054 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The state of play at close of the evening:

33261652761_8e6fb61f30_h.jpg20170311_224753 by Edward IX, on Flickr

If I'm not dead tomorrow and I have time after more house showings, I hope to do more. But don't I always?

• Like 17