Hope's Sword (4 x Eduard 1/72 Spitfires)

Both exhausts look great to be fair, I like the pencil, but hey both are cracking.

transfers appear to have gone on beautifully, very nice....

i have a set of transfers for a French mk ix, hmmmm and its desert camo.... these may need to be used

Rob

• Like 1

..and not just any old French markings...looks like Jean-Marie Accart's machine - a true French hero.  Accart returned 12 victories during the German invasion of France in 1940 flying P-36 Hawks with GC I/5. His account of the French campaign, "Chasseurs du Ciel", lit. 'Fighters in the sky' is very good and really should have been translated by now. Of course those may well the markings of his successor in  GC II/ 2 'Berry', Cmt Guizard..

all four look very nice!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

..and not just any old French markings...looks like Jean-Marie Accart's machine - a true French hero. 

The very same! 

So I finally decided on what I'm marking the other IXc as...

32678928434_f1507c93e2_h.jpg20170319_001431 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Harold "Birdie" Bird-Wilson's (CBE, DSO, DFC*, Guniea Pig Club #2, etc etc) Spitfire when he was commanding, I believe, 121 Airfield (a curious and short-lived name for Wings in 83 Group) over the Channel Front in 1943-44. He began his career in the RAF in 1938 on Gauntlets, and in 1961, he received his CBE for preparing Coltishall as a base for the first Lightnings. You can listen to the IWM's interview with him in 1988 here; it's one of the best in terms of audio quality that I've heard, and Bird-Wilson also has the inestimable advantage of being easy for me to understand. I'm using decals from DK Decals's inspired (so inspired in fact you wonder why nobody else had the wit to do it sooner) Spitfire IX Aces decal sheet, which is the finest subject for a decal sheet a man can comfortably conceive of. (My runner-up remains to be realized: a series of sheets of German aircraft shot down, entitled Made in Germany, Finished in England/Scotland/France/etc etc. Someone should do this, it would make a mint.) His claims amount to three confirmed, six shared, three probable, and just for good measure, one on the ground. Oh, and he also authorized the formation of and named the Red Arrows.

It was mostly a case of picking an aircraft configured the same way as I'd built and painted mine, but I also realized I'd not yet done a British qua British Spitfire, and right now, with the whole world spiralling around the top of the toilet bowl, I felt like some of the awesome mystical forces generated by this build should be harnessed for the United Kingdom before it tears itself apart. I can survive the annihilation of my own country (though probably not the marauding bands that will storm my house looking for food), but not yours. I'm doing my part! 

I've also done the little "H" markings on three of the Spinners.

32708175293_57f85ffe5d_h.jpg20170319_001447 by Edward IX, on Flickr

There was some more stuff with decals, but it was all stencils and very boring. 

19 hours ago, Beard said:

There's only one way to decide which is best.

Right, each side, pick your champions. For weapons we'll want something decisive, so perhaps battleaxes. Go at it until only one survives.

• Like 16

Thanks for the link to that 'Birdy' Bird-Wilson interview Edward, the first time it didn't work for me but I just tried again and can now listen to it. I think the BoB Memorial Flight Hurricane was done in his 17 Squadron markings a couple of years back, YBoW with nose-art of three swords flying toward a Nazi eagle, if I recall.

Nice idea to do a British Spitfire too, if only for the sake of form :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

So where are we, anyway? 

Oh right. These two are on their pins and ready for a final dullcoat:

33671289775_7fe4d9c13e_h.jpg2017-03-26_07-50-53 by Edward IX, on Flickr

And the other two, well...

32858239493_9acadf9fa7_h.jpg20170326_200233 by Edward IX, on Flickr

33542018551_6a26739b51_c.jpg

33514909362_ecb923377f_c.jpg

Still some work to do to fix the pigments, etc.

• Like 15

Okay, alllllll done (as my son is fond of saying, either cutely, when eating, or shrieked, when in the tub). No RFI. I learned some stuff on this build, but I'm not thrilled with how they turned out.

32831548774_0756d694c8_b.jpg20170327_000758 by Edward IX, on Flickr

33674607985_779c20f9ef_b.jpg20170327_000645 by Edward IX, on Flickr

33545206871_8b08113933_b.jpg20170326_235718 by Edward IX, on Flickr

32831546124_7d4234104e_b.jpg20170326_235701 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Still struggling to recreate the exhaust marks left by the Merlin with brushed-on pigments. Anyway, I'm not quite sure what I want to do next. I feel like the world's state is so tenuous that it might need more Spitfires, but maybe I should build something else and see?

• Like 24

Why are you not happy with those PC? They look good to me, am I missing something, or are you? Or is it just that general "Well I could have done those better" feeling that I get at the end of all my builds?

As for what's next... well you do still have an almost indecent amount of Spitfires in your stash and as we all know you can't have too many Spitfires... but it depends, is your Spitfire-fu depleted yet?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Stew Dapple said:

Why are you not happy with those PC? They look good to me, am I missing something, or are you? Or is it just that general "Well I could have done those better" feeling that I get at the end of all my builds?

A little from column A, a little from column B. I'm unhappy with the failed attempt at maskol weathering; I think I overdid it with the Prismacolor pencil in places (and all the really cool, subtle work I did with it isn't visible in the photos, of course); still figuring out pigments; frustrated with the joins of the "chin" under the engine -- I think I may try attaching each side to the respective fuselage half when assembling in the future; annnnnnd the base of the radio mast may or may not be a distinct colour from the rest of the fuselage

I certainly can do more Spits -- I have a bunch in the queue. I have a lot of things in the queue. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Ah that is interesting - the Tamyiya Mossie shows this part as being in dull red too... I dismissed it at the time as oriental chicanery but I may have been too hasty.

9 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I have a lot of things in the queue

I feel you blud. I think my stash has a longer life-expectancy than I do now :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

I agree with Stew - they look great to me, even though YOU know what you're not happy with - such is the lot of a modeller :D 

Chipping? Don't talk to me about chipping - I don't even try anymore.

Quick browse through your stash (well, not that quick, obviously) and there's some lovely subjects there Edward, but life is obviously getting in the way at the moment SO I would suggest doing what I'm doing and build a Tamiya Mossie - lovely kit, lovely subject, easy build, lovely result. A one colour one makes it easier too.

Then you can go back to 'a challenge' when your mojo is recharged. Or build a Spitfire alongside.

• Like 3

I think all four of them look great! But one does see the imperfections with our own real eyes, even though the camera won't pick it up, and us forumdwellers can't see it?

Why not relax a little with a nice not-at-all-Spitfire like a Sword Seafire XV....

Editet for rephrasing.

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 2

Build more Spitfires is the maxim I live by and your ones look very good.

8 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Why not relax a little with a nice not-at-all-Spitfire like a Sword Seafire XV....

That's not a very nice thing to suggest.;)

• Like 2

A very nice quartet of Spitfires PC. I would be very proud to have produced such results, but know that we often see what others don't where our own models are concerned.

It's hard to choose a favourite. I'm rather taken by the French one to be honest :).

I had a quick look at your Scalemates stash. I must get more of my model shop worth of stuff on there. A full storage container worth. True evidence of an intense and unfettered period of utter madness, not very gay abandon :confused: .

Your MB 5 'Sea Baker' looks like fun 😉.

Great job on all four in the face of much adversity :thumbsup2: 

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

It's been a very interesting thread and a good read. For what it's worth, if I'd produced anything like that, I'd be taking up smoking so I could have a cigar.

As was noted above, the rivets don't detract from the finished article as I feared they would so I may buy one myself now.

John.

• Like 1

Dang, those look sweet PC! My fav is easily Gabszewicz's SZ-G as it looks just like the reference pics I've seen - you captured it very well.

You're right about the pencil working better than the maskol for chipping. I think I'm nearly a full convert now, except for extreme cases like Aleutian builds.

• Like 2

Fie! Enough of this Supermarine Melancholy! Those are finely plumaged birds PC and I must take you to task over the general harshness of your appraisal.

I estimate the above to be worth a minimum of two episodes of Magnum PI plus a refill of the brandy glass, not to mention a snack of choice.

Tony

• Like 4

Well didn't they get finished all of a sudden. Really splendid work. I see you have one of those photo tents, I bought one from Amazon about two weeks ago but it's not turning up until next week hence my outside shots. They do seem to plop a good bit o' light on kits, yours look particularly nice. 

Bravo P,  excelent work.:thumbsup:

Johnny