Hope's Sword (4 x Eduard 1/72 Spitfires)

Thanks, chaps. I'm afraid today isn't going super well so far, as Mrs P had a coughing fit while driving to work and couldn't breath, to the point of having to pull over. Luckily she was near the house of a family friend, and she's holed up there now, with special dispensation from the doctor to take tylenol and sudafed. As we've lost a few babies in the past, this has been a particularly fraught morning. I'm hoping she feels well enough to drive home soon. I don't feel very well myself, and may have to head off later on a quest for some antibiotics. Staying home with Winston (or working with 3-5 year-olds while pregnant, in Mrs P's case) isn't very conducive to recovery from a cold. Hopefully this is a turning point for us, though, and we'll start to feel better tomorrow. As it is, I've now used up all of my sick days and all of my vacation, so can't do a summer trip or a Christmas vacation with my family. You guys in the UK don't know how good you have it.

• Like 4

I hope Mrs P gets well soon PC - you need some birthday cosseting! Hope all's well...

Have a good day if you can and a birthday drink (or two) for me :) 

• Like 1

It doesn't seem right to click on 'like' for your last post PC :mellow:.

Nevertheless I would still like to wish you a very happy birthday :party::party::cheers: :hbd:!!

I hope you manage to have a few nice moments in it. Get well soon all.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

The 'like' was for your stoicism in adversity PC.

Along with the others I wish Mrs.P safe, you something to smile about on your birthday, and young Winnie a long and peaceful nap so that his old man can get some rest also.

birthday-900x345.jpg

• Like 1

Hey daddio. Hope your good self and the fam get over the crappy colds. I can't "like" your last few posts as they are full of snot but on a brighter note HAPPY BORN DAY. :thumbsup: and that Lightning bolt looks like the dogs dangly bits. (That's a good thing)

;)

jont.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

The like is intended as a best of British pick me up on in face of adversity, clearly not a like for your ailment.

And, as we all know (I hope), British is best. 

Mrs. P seems much better -- I don't think people on the verge of death from a cold eat half a pint of Ben and Jerry's Carmel Sutra chocolate ice cream, anyway. She is staying home tomorrow and Winston is staying with a friend of her mom's. Since his cold apparently just causes his bloodstream to sythesize crack cocaine, I pity that poor woman. Today he achieved his lifelong dream of falling off of everything he's been (repeatedly) told not to climb: the toilet; the stairs; my chair in the office; the kitchen chairs; the kitchen table; the bed; the other bed; his crib; a chair turned upside down in the vain hope he wouldn't climb it; etc. etc. etc. I love him, but after a week home with him with my health getting worse in inverse proportion to how hale and hearty he feels, I kind of never want to see him again right now.

That said, here are some photos from today.

This morning, issuing a celebratory tot of ginger ale to the men:

33464917785_c7fd3b3234_h.jpg20170315_074152 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I particularly like this one, because he looks like an idiot:

33424244906_26202a08a1_h.jpg20170315_145624 by Edward IX, on Flickr

This machine...destroys fascists:

33424248436_8e4cc0f7c5_h.jpg2017-03-15_07-48-25 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I'm exhausted. Back to work tomorrow. Then probably at home to watch him again on Friday. If you want a free toddler, show up then. You'll get your wish.

• Like 15

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

I particularly like this one, because he looks like an idiot

OR... buy him a hat and I think he looks a bit like his namesake! No cigar, obviously.

• Like 1

Well well well! I finally got some bench time in, after a long and truly awful birthday week. 

Obligatory kid shot: Winston, saying "uh-oh". He's added this, "nana" [banana], "ump" [jump] and a few other quasi-words to his vocabulary this week. I didn't sell him to the gypsies today, but he did take a second nap despite only needing one a day, mainly to keep ol' dad alive.

33119417820_87210b67fe_h.jpg20170317_110648 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Current state of play:

33119417300_075826164e_h.jpg20170317_232430 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Be careful with Solvaset! It's like Alien blood:

32688576813_95d469731c_h.jpg20170317_232450 by Edward IX, on Flickr

French markings on a Spitfire look very weird to me.

33502901585_6a041ab649_h.jpg20170317_232508 by Edward IX, on Flickr

So here's the exhausts painted with Hu113 enamel (which did not behave at ALL like Colourcoats when thinned with Gunze self-levelling, and caused the airbrush to emit small pebble-sized chunks of what I presume to be solidified pigment when backflushed...horrific) and then rubbed with pencil graphite.

33346546032_c0450cf0aa_h.jpg20170317_232612 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Here's the exhaust painted russet and then dusted in several types of yellowy-red-brown Mig pigments:

32688575403_6ea006ead8_h.jpg20170317_232626 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Which do we like?

Other side of the Sovfire done:

32659335554_a5e45648eb_h.jpg20170317_232524 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Long week. Very tired. Mrs P made us go out for St Patrick's Day (a holiday I have resolutely not celebrated since I started living on my own and no longer had to) because she is a redhead and has fond but very blurry memories of for some reason receiving many free drinks when she went out on it in the years before we were married. We paid something like forty dollars for bad corned beef and "Irish twist bread" (ordered by Mrs P) which turned out to be a large soft pretzel. Fitting capstone to the week.

• Like 13

Niiiiice B)

I'd go with the russet and Mig pigments for the exhausts; they both look good but I'm pretty sure the Mig pigments cost substantially more than pencil graphite and their use would, therefore, represent a better return on your investment :D 

... and your French Spitfire? Exotic is the word you seek Edward, not weird.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

Veeerrry niiiice :coolio: 

I agree with Stew that they both look good and that 'return on investment' is an essential consideration in today's modern society. That said, we do like to back the underdog as well so I'll prefer the rust and pencil graphite and then we can keep 'mejia' people going on and on and on about how many people like this and how someone promised that the russet would look good and.... 

For me, Spitfires in other than British markings do look, er, let's say exotic (good call Stew). I know each model represents a sacrifice made by the pilots. I know they represent national pride and endeavour. it's just that, like that new haircut your old friend has, it's just not quite... well... 'him'.

That said, I've just spent a bit more time looking at the photos and we're really talking small stuff here aren't we... they look perfect to me PC - seamless, smooth paint jobs, great transfers (especially the Ruskie flashes), nice leading edge stripes etc etc.

I'm sure we could talk more about the exhausts but hey matey, all four look great. Just don't get anything dyed, OK?

• Like 1

That's a lovely finish on your French Spitfire ( Stew's right, exotic ) but then all of them are great and it's difficult to choose a favourite.

I hope you're all feeling better now.

John

Edited by Biggles87

Gorra plump for the French exhausts painted in apple and dusted with migs. Have to say the Ruskie Spitfire catches my eye, but as the others have commented Spitfires in non-British markings always look a bit weird.

Nice Spitfires all around, even the French one, they look good. Stuffed if I know how you keep your mojo going with all that going on, darned if I could.

Re 'xorsts, I like the Hu113 & graphite, a/ 'coz I'm cheap & b/ see a/, 'coz I already have them & c/ they look good too.

Steve.

I like the exhausts painted russet and then dusted in several types of yellowy-red-brown Mig pigments but I also the exhausts painted with Hu113 enamel and then rubbed with pencil graphite.

There's only one way to decide which is best.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Beard said:

I like the exhausts painted russet and then dusted in several types of yellowy-red-brown Mig pigments but I also the exhausts painted with Hu113 enamel and then rubbed with pencil graphite.

There's only one way to decide which is best.

"FIGHT!!!" - said in my best nine year old playground voice!

• Like 3