Hope's Sword (4 x Eduard 1/72 Spitfires)

Just now, rob85 said:

now I know everyone loves spitfires, myself included... but didn't you say you had 26 of the Eduard mkix not including the 4 currently on the go, and you have just received a further 6 making 32?? Probably close to the total number of my stash... now I'm either talking out of jealousy or concern, you can decide, but do you think you have a problem?.... "Hello my name is Edward and I'm addicted to Eduard mkix spitfires"

Including overtrees. I have three Royal boxings, two XVI combos, three VIII combos, four overtrees, two IXc early, and three IXc late. So 31, plus three built and four building. The Spitfire IX is my favourite airplane...no, my favourite thing in the world. I think it's the most beautiful airplane ever to have flown, and it was one of the greatest moments of my life to see one fly for the first time. One of my favourite Churchill quotes is "All the greatest things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: Freedom; Justice; Honour; Duty; Mercy; Hope." I know it's corny, but those're what come to mind when I see the Spitfire IX. I knew I loved it the moment I first saw it. It was everything to me as a troublesome, erratic little boy three thousand miles and fifty years from where it came into the world. "I have a love in my life...it makes me stronger than anything you can imagine." Parts of my life have been really weird and unpleasant. Everyone has their own lodestar, and this is mine.

• Like 13

39 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Including overtrees. I have three Royal boxings, two XVI combos, three VIII combos, four overtrees, two IXc early, and three IXc late. So 31, plus three built and four building. The Spitfire IX is my favourite airplane...no, my favourite thing in the world. I think it's the most beautiful airplane ever to have flown, and it was one of the greatest moments of my life to see one fly for the first time. One of my favourite Churchill quotes is "All the greatest things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: Freedom; Justice; Honour; Duty; Mercy; Hope." I know it's corny, but those're what come to mind when I see the Spitfire IX. I knew I loved it the moment I first saw it. It was everything to me as a troublesome, erratic little boy three thousand miles and fifty years from where it came into the world. "I have a love in my life...it makes me stronger than anything you can imagine." Parts of my life have been really weird and unpleasant. Everyone has their own lodestar, and this is mine.

You can't really (and I never would) argue with that my friend.

Rob

• Like 4

I thought I'd gone slightly mad buying the 1/72 XVI combo at Bovvie when I already bought the 1/72 Aussie 8 last week.  I already have the single1/72 IX profipack and 3 1/48 Edwards.   But your multi build example has prompted me to crack the stash and start the 16 pair.  It's my first Eduard build and it almost clicks together so far, the cockpit looks a bit fiddly though!

Whether I'll use all the PE I'm not sure- it looked small enough in 1/48, I probably won't see it on my 1/72s!

Cheers

Will

• Like 2

7 hours ago, malpaso said:

But your multi build example has prompted me to crack the stash and start the 16 pair.

And no build thread? For shame!

7 hours ago, malpaso said:

Whether I'll use all the PE I'm not sure- it looked small enough in 1/48, I probably won't see it on my 1/72s!

I usually have a fair amount left on the fret at the end, but I recommend the seatbelts, instrument panel (be sure to sand down the face of the plastic part, it's far too thick with the PE on otherwise), carbuerator and radiator grilles, and that little "L" shaped doohickey in the starboard radiator. These all made a visible difference for me. 

Speaking of radiators, tonight was "radiator follies" here at Hedgehog Manor. It became increasingly and unpleasantly apparent to me that I'd reversed the radiator sides on the IXc late, causing the radiators to angle gently inwards in a way that managed to look subtly yet simultaneously spectacularly wrong. (How did this happen? Well: I'm an idiot.)

With a little work (and a lot of cursing), I managed to remove the radiator bits, but they were in no shape to be reused:

32565579900_10fc4b1846_b.jpg20170216_234305 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Those were the only bits that came off even partially intact. They left a lot of themselves in place. No fear, though, because I had [PRODUCT PLACEMENT] a Mission Models micro-chisel!

32102835324_c30bfa02e6_b.jpg20170216_234311 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I bought it on a whim from Spruebrothers when it was on sale (I am genetically incapable of resisting even a nominally good deal; it's a family curse, which is why I was out picking up a serger from some random lady half a mile from me at the behest of my mother, who saw it was being sold on Facebook for $30), and it's turned out to be amazingly useful. I was able to clean out the recessed mounting points, add the photoetch I'd failed to add before, and loot one of my overtrees for new radiator parts. (Which means now I have to find more radiator parts to turn that into a Spitfire as well -- hopefully someone will do resin rads or something). '

Presto! Good as new:

32565579980_c7304a0244_b.jpg20170216_234222 by Edward IX, on Flickr

No other masking got done as a result of this, so we're slipping a bit behind. Tomorrow night I have to clean the house so that when Mrs P gets home on Saturday she can complain about how it's not as clean as she'd like and how tired she is after a week-long vacation in a sunny paradise while I was just gamboling about at work. 

Don't I look refreshed to you?

32946711225_d5cf169fc5_b.jpg2017-02-17_12-09-18 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 13

Yes Edward, that is definitely the thousand-yard stare of a refreshed man ;) 

Good recovery on the radiators mate. Not sure if anyone will be making any resin radiators any time soon, but you never know. Maybe by the time the next Eduard Spitfire variant comes out you could just get a couple more sets of overtrees thrown in (by rights, for free as well, given the amount of trade you have put Eduard's way over the last six months which might have artificially skewed the Czech Republic's GDP for the year :lol:)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

Hello Mr P,

Very nice job on the seven Spitfires.... I'm lost, far too much productive for me:unsure:

I'm sad about the Garth Jarred Spitfire 'cause it was one of my project. But you're right, looking at the photos, it is not a dark earth mid stone one.

At least, did such a Mk IX really exist ?? I mean a dark earth mid stone Mk IX ?

May be at the time, they did'nt get bored in changing the camouflage and every Spitfire were painted in european scheme ??

Have a nice day and I really enjoy your job and way to go.

Congrats.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

At least, did such a Mk IX really exist ?? I mean a dark earth mid stone Mk IX ?

Oh, absolutely. The Polish Fighting Team F.IXs were all in that scheme, and there's photographic evidence of some reverse lend-lease USAAF Spitfires as well. I'm sure there were others.

• Like 2

I must stop lurking. A thoroughly enjoyable build thread PC. I am out of 'likes', but only in the virtual sense.

It's interesting to read of the cold temperatures in other parts of the world, the effects on the psyche. In contrast just approximately 10 miles from here today, there was/is a fire that has destroyed, so far, 13 homes.

Temperatures have been up and down like a brides nightdress, but often above 39°C (102.2F), sometimes as high as 45°C (113F).

I prefer the cold of a Northern hemisphere January and February. It feels more conducive to modelling, It seems your Spitfire output confirms this theory :).

You have done a wonderful job on this quartet of Spitfires. The 'gull' of the wing on these Eduard kits looks very 'right', the panel lines nice and restrained.

I'm not entirely convinced that you look refreshed PC. There's something in that gaze that reminds me of Travis Bickle. 

All will be fine as long as you stick to that impressive stash, whilst avoiding thoughts of Cheeto coloured people and cunning uses for typewriter return assemblies ;).

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

On 2/15/2017 at 11:34 AM, Harley John said:

I do though quite fancy the idea of an Edwardian-era noble title or perhaps a title that suggests a character in a Terry Pratchet novel. Certain Scottish Clan Chiefs use "of that ilk" after their family name, that also appeals.

I've an idea that 'of that ilk' is used where the laird's family has the same name as their territory.  Is that true?

Currently feeling very inadequate, not having ANY Eduard Spits in stock. :(  YET :)  One of which may well become a model of the top scoring Kiwi Ace Colin Grays mount or maybe in its later iteration when he became a WingCo & could put his initials up rather than codes. All definitely DE/MS/AB scheme.

Steve.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stevehnz said:

Currently feeling very inadequate, not having ANY Eduard Spits in stock. :(  YET :)  One of which may well become a model of the top scoring Kiwi Ace Colin Grays mount or maybe in its later iteration when he became a WingCo & could put his initials up rather than codes. All definitely DE/MS/AB scheme.

Steve.

Do you know of any decals for his aircraft? I very much want to do his aircraft myself!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

Oh, absolutely. The Polish Fighting Team F.IXs were all in that scheme, and there's photographic evidence of some reverse lend-lease USAAF Spitfires as well. I'm sure there were others.

Thank Mr P,

Polish fighting team, do you mean the Skalki circus ?

Thank again.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

1 minute ago, Hornet133 said:

Ventura Decals V7220 or V4821 (depending on which scale you want) have markings for Colin Gray's 'CG' MA408.

And Thank you too Hornet.

I'll change my plans, (but can be back at Jared in a few weeks)

I'm also a compulsive guy :party:

I receive my second Seafire 17, let's go for the test shot...

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

4 minutes ago, Hornet133 said:

Ventura Decals V7220 or V4821 (depending on which scale you want) have markings for Colin Gray's 'CG' MA408.

I was just going to say that so I'll say it here.

Ventura do a set with some Aussie & Kiwi ones, including Gray's CG, to do FL-A I think you'll need a sheet of generic white codes. I'm sure Hannants do them, likewise the serials.

Steve.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Ventura do a set with some Aussie & Kiwi ones, including Gray's CG, to do FL-A I think you'll need a sheet of generic white codes. I'm sure Hannants do them, likewise the serials.

Steve.

Aaaaaargl, there is just 2 sets of Ventura 4821. in Hannants's stock

I will order 'on the double"

Thank you all.

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Steve.

And ordered, along with their USAAF Spitfires book (it would have been rude not to).

• Like 4

Anyhow. The house had a showing today (and the damned horrible house with a staircase to nowhere that Mrs P inexplicably loves is again back on the market after another sale fell through...can't imagine why, maybe because it's a disintegrating heap of crap) so I tidied up before heading off to the airport -- I even cleaned up the bench a bit.

32827709072_8b74b0ccf2_b.jpg20170218_201301 by Edward IX, on Flickr

This is about as good as it gets.

When I got home, I decided to put on the primer. Last night I had finished masking and sprayed the interior green over the cockpits (and did a jolly nice, tight job with minimal overspray, I might add), so I was all ready to go. I decided to try out my little Badger 350, which is a lightweight (very light, it only weighs 21 grams) lo-fi single-action airbrush about a half-step up from putting the paint in a tube and blowing through it in the general direction of the model. 

In general, I like the consistency of single-action airbrushes (especially since I'm not exactly Mr Fine Detail), and having never used an external mix brush before, I found it pleasantly easy to clean. However, it's a cheap, cheap brush (less than $20 shipped here in the USA), and it has some quirks I've never before experienced, including an odd penchant for blorting out a thick stream of Black Mr finishing Surfacer 1500 from the nozzle when I put the cap on the paint cup. The effect was not unlike what I shudder to imagine it would be like to bring a squid to a state of high arousal, and I did not like it. The airbrush hose also somehow got stuck on the brush's nipple and needed some careful work to extricate; both still seem to still function properly now. 

32167636773_fab9a6122b_b.jpg20170218_214154 by Edward IX, on Flickr

No rose without thorns however, an--WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?

32167634643_29f50df94e_b.jpg20170218_214202 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Out, damned spot:

32982545335_24d4cf2d9b_b.jpg20170218_215134 by Edward IX, on Flickr

So just a little more work to do, and then we can start laying down paint in earnest.

• Like 11

55 minutes ago, Procopius said:

The effect was not unlike what I shudder to imagine it would be like to bring a squid to a state of high arousal, and I did not like it.

Although I follow your builds for the build stuff, I also know that every now and then there will be a gem like this. Thank you :thumbsup:.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

Although I follow your builds for the build stuff, I also know that every now and then there will be a gem like this. Thank you :thumbsup:.

What he said.

I also have reached the applying primer stage (Alclad black, not Mr Finishing Surfacer) which I did when I got home from work yesterday... today I find that I seem to have finely gritted them both in places which has pleased me every bit as much as you might imagine.

Good to see Winnie back absorbing his daily propaganda :D  

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3