A GOTHA

krow113

Thanks Michael.

These are the books that I am using , the kit instructions are by rote.

R.Rimells book is pretty much indispensable for the building procedure , Gotha! is the same for the ref pics..

These three are the very least one needs to help get the kit done. There is a good pic of the nail site in the build book. I used that and the AEG  kit part to fabricate my nail sight. The build book and the kit instructions are very worn now , from years of perusal , in an attempt to glean as many details as possible.

IMG_3155.jpg

These two have good pics , and good info , the seaplane book having Becker cannon pics:

IMG_3158.jpg

This one is ok , but the info is old and some of it has been proven wrong , still a good effort for the time it was published:

IMG_3157.jpg

Whereas many WW 1 aircraft are fully photo and written documented , the Gothas , not so much. Really frustrating to have virtually no interior info pics to reference. I struggle to add as much as possible without going too far.

Edited by krow113

Ok, thanks mucho for this info., Steve! I am happy to say that I have the first five books you recommend, but hadn't thought of looking in them for info on the AEG! I need to start pushing the envelope on my thinking! LOL! Good to know I am already set with references for when I do get into the Gotha project!

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Michael.

Some more AM for this kit.

I already have a gunsight for the Becker in p/e , I've left it and some other tiny details off the weapon until I fell certain they wont get knocked off.

When I saw these offerings from Gaspatch , I immediately ordered , mostly because Gaspatch stuff is very well done and I have never been unsatisfied , and I always pile up options whenever I can in order to have choices.

Vane sights:

IMG_3278.jpg

And these machine guns , first time I've ever heard of them:

IMG_3277.jpg

I want to continue the different weapons situation on my Gotha and would like more info on these machine guns and whether they would be appropriate for the model.

Anyone?

I am also going to see an older German gent here on my island , get some translation done for the upcoming engine work.

• Like 1

Thanks Michael.

Austro-Hungarian:

http://www.hungariae.com/Schwarz.htm

S'cool lookin' weapon and iirc some LVG built Gothas had a slim connection to an A-H bombing squadron.  Reading the link , these were installed on aircraft.

A slim connection , but still enough to consider one or two for my Gotha.

I spoke to the gent , one of his relatives was on the Scharnhorst , he's happy to translate some terms for me. 

Specifically the engine terms on pg's 20 & 25 of the build book.

Sorry there is no actual modelling, I'm working towards the next paint application , just  few sign jobs to get finished.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, buddy, I've done three Taurus builds and, besides now being blind, I think I am getting the hang of them.

I have re-joined the WWI website so will comment further over there.

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

PS AEG build now finito....will post on the other website.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Michael Scarborough said:

Hey, buddy, I've done three Taurus builds and, besides now being blind, I think I am getting the hang of them.

I have re-joined the WWI website so will comment further over there.

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

PS AEG build now finito....will post on the other website.

Good for you Michael!

I saw your stuff on another site , but it would be nice to have you on the WW1 site as well.

• Like 1

On 17.03.2018 at 5:24 PM, krow113 said:

And these machine guns , first time I've ever heard of them:

IMG_3277.jpg

I want to continue the different weapons situation on my Gotha and would like more info on these machine guns and whether they would be appropriate for the model.

Anyone?

These Schwarzlose guns are Austro-Hungarian and need completely different ammunition (8mm) - rather unavailable in Germany. These make sens only for Austro-Hungarian version of Gotha G.IV (which had different engines that German versions). See the picture below (hexagon colours may be not fully correct):
175_1.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks grzm.

Sure and I have all of the available Gotha references , there are not many.

In a time when all weapons , engines , gauges , and just about every type of equipment on aircraft were in a fluid state, that is to say nothing was permanent , the chance that some of these ended up on an LVG Gotha is fairly good.

Please read the philosophy behind the work being done here on the Gotha , its on page one.

Thank you.

An absolute wealth of details here, wonderful stuff. What are those leather coloured sacks in your picture posted on 20th Feb? They look like respirators or something similar, but attached to what?

• Like 1

Thank you clive_t.

Those are part of the German early oxygen supply tanks. The bladder does something , I dunno what , crews would 'sip' liquid oxygen though the hose . Look on WNW's website for pics , there are a few , or google it.

IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

If I did the 'toasted scrotums' again I would go with a more grey-oatmeal color and some of those linen decals maybe.

I only added about a dozen details to each one.

Also today some more colors for the Gotha palette:

IMG_3443.jpg

• Like 4

Engine detailing begins with the application of the first of the p/e from HGW's engine set:

IMG_3454.jpg

And the modification of kit parts to show the air vents and oil sight glass location at the rear:

IMG_3453.jpg

Some cut vinyl will dress and finish those holes.

Michael;

HGW set # 132089 , labelled as Mercedes D VIa , but clearly marked for the Gotha.

Have a look at the set before you buy.

I can only see a few parts for my model. Ignition wires in 1/32 scale p/e wont work for me , I may cut off the plug end , we'll see .

The oil lines def not using except as a pattern for tubing.

Placards yes , and some left over from the covered up engine.

The DB paints....

This is gonna sound really stupid , but I cant find anywhere what they are! I scoured the website , nothing on the bottles , unless its staring me right in the face I cannot see it!

Most likely acrylics as they were sent by air.

The package clearly marked with what is inside , which may not be a good idea.

OK, just asked a buddy of mine who uses them...here's what he said:  I thinned them down with Tamiya yellow cap. I really like the way they airbrush. I like my paints transparent when I spray them so I can build up color density. I struggle with Tamiya paints doing that, DB worked great. I also think their color matching is very good but that is always up for debate. I enjoy using them and can apply them in a manner I like. So yes, I think theyre worth the money. Sergey is a nice guy too. Let them harden out and seal then with a Tamiya varnish, they will benefit from it because they are a bit prone to scratches.

It's a great website and it's clear the maker knows his business. I look forward to hearing how you like them.

Cheers

Drag Link/Files Here
Drop Files Here
Drop Link Here

• Thanks 1

Thanks for clearing that up Michael!

Some shapes cut from hi-po vinyl for the vents and the sightglass:

IMG_3457.jpg

Also this book has most of what a modeller will need to detail the Mercedes DIVa engine. There is a complete parts breakdown and photo's:

IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg

Look its the stupid 'T' shaped parts , clearly shown:

IMG_3461.jpg

Edited by krow113

• 2 weeks later...

Previously posted templates in play.

# 1 cellotaped on:

IMG_3497.jpg

Lightly pricked:

IMG_3499.jpg

Worked ok:

IMG_3500.jpg

Template #3 shows spring angle to facilitate drilling :

IMG_3502.jpg

Nicely drilled:

IMG_3503.jpg

Now for the bad news , closer examination of the Taurus springs reveals the angle cast into the bottom of the springs. "Doh!"

This explains why it appears to be difficult to get these little guys in line , looking at other build threads.

I filed the tops of the spring landings a little  to begin accommodating the cast in spring angle.

I'll work this into my procedure , don't worry!

Next up fire up the laser and make the spring top holders, this will be the key to getting them all lined up and help with assy.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1