Wood effect as follows;

1) Paint all parts with lightest of 5 colors, I used yellow:

IMG_1515.jpg

2) Followed by tan to soften the yellow:

IMG_1525.jpg

3) Then red into shaded areas and creating different colored areas:

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

4) Then Uschi plywood decals, which are translucent and very thin with knots and other plywood details:

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

This is when you find out if your under colors are good , I found mine to be acceptable. The decals are a chore to get applied evenly .

5) Seal it all with 50/50 IPA and Future

6) 30/30/30 Tamiya red/brown/black mix gets run into surface details and sprayed into ares of shadow:

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg[/ur

8) Outlining and shading in tandem , the second softening the first:

IMG_1786.jpg

9) Final 30 mix sprayed into the areas to join the parts and even out the finish:

IMG_1824.jpg

Nothing too new , just good old fashioned modelling with a new twist of the decals.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 10

Kieth & JJake- Thank you.

The main point to remember regarding the wood grain decals is that they are very translucent.

HGW decals were used on the floor, different colors etc and they dried with a sort of grain, like wood:

IMG_1577.jpg

I almost feel, with some amusemant , that threads like mine with manufacturers names dropped pretty much continuously should be getting some consideration from them!

lol!

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Si and Rod, Thank you for your interest and comments.

I did not notice any remark worthy differences between the two decal suppliers. They are both thin , translucent , tough yet fragile , which , while a contradiction in terms , is readily noticeable for anyone using them . 

The 5 colors can be 3 or 4 if that suits the user , I have a lotta experience with translucent paint work so I was able to have half an idea as to what colors 'wood' work. My idea was to use as opposite of colors as possible to create a contrast and some shadows , etc to the work.

The HGW set , when applied to the floor created a sort of grain to the parts , an unexpected result from using flat paint for the base coats. These decals were used on the floor.

The Uschi set was plywood details and was used on the vertical surface's.

Sealing with a 50/50 IPA and Future mix helped to seal the decals in without a lot of buildup.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

Thanks Clive!

Here the fuel cart progress' . I will do this in an abandoned style as it already looks  pretty rough. The hose is from HiroBoy , 1/12 corrugated hose:

IMG_2275.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 4

Thank you ,Clive.

The least amount of fuse wiring I can see to apply. I did sand off the 'behind the framework' wiring supplied with the kit. I drilled and glued in plastic model RR eyelets to run the wiring through.

A nice little p/e detail on the box does it nicely:

IMG_2367.jpg

The wire is to be painted grey.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 3

Beautiful woodwork, and a fabulous tutorial/description. I'll be follwing your example on future builds for sure.

I love the work on the fuel cart too, top quality!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Having spent most of the weekend looking at these pics on my phone, I have now had the chance to revisit using a 'proper' pc screen...

:gobsmacked:

Wow.

That office is a total mind-melt!

• Like 1