A GOTHA

krow113

Working on WNW's killer 1/32 Gotha G IV kit:

IMG_9271.jpg

IMG_4919.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

WORK PHILOSOPHY **MUST READ**

I HAVE HAD THIS KIT SINCE ITS RELEASE. I HAVE STUDIED , RESEARCHED , EXAMINED , AND PERUSED  ALL OF THE AVAILABLE RESOURCES.

There is very little that I have not seen or been made aware of in the last ten years regarding Gotha's , this DOES NOT  make me an expert or aficionado or whatever , just someone with an interest in the aircraft.

Gotha references are exceedingly rare in comparison to other types. This makes it hard to nail down details. I have cross-referenced other planes as I understand that manufacturers would sell to all makers in the early days of the industrial revolution and well into the 20th century as well. The bomb racks mounted internally are an example of that. Gotha pics are rare , but they are well shown in the AEG 

instructions from WNW.

So take what you can get and have some fun with the rest.

Using this approach I have already begun to add smaller details where I think they would be.

My subject will be fictional , an amalgam of details from pictures but not nailed down to one plane. A commanders plane , someone who would be highly involved in the development of new weapons and equipment. This is reflected in the Becker cannon and 4 bladed props already in final stages for the model. Markings will be imaginary as well , using the well known deathhead pics as a starting point , and hand painted night polygonal camo as well .

Being in the sign industry , and having a fully equipped shop , means that a mask set for the model and a set for the polygonal camo will be developed and realized for you to watch here.

In case you haven't realized it , I'm gonna have some fun , stretch some reality's and hopefully build a really cool model. Don't worry too much about accuracy and stuff like that , it'll just ruin the fun.

Thank you ,Steve

Edited by krow113
tag edit
  • Like 16

Thank you G56 .

Here are the ammo cans and storage box's. Detailed with a strip of HGW decal for the linen belts and chained into their box's:

IMG_1912.jpg

Managed to finish up the main body of the oxy tanks as well:

IMG_2058.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 7

Thank you everyone!

Natty - still kickin' eh?

The fuse has a BIG HOLE where all of this may be seen, after wings and rigging it will be a challenge. Everything I build ends up on the contest table so judges will need their little flashlights...

IMG_2363.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 6

We are not worthy! I take my hat off to you Mr Krow, that is outstanding craftsmanship. I love the woodwork, the ammo drums chained in, and especially the oxygen bottles. Breathtaking work, of the very highest standard.

just in case it isn't clear, I absolutely love this and can't wait to see more!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

John $ Clive -  Many Thanks.

I managed to do some work on the nose interior. The bomb release levers were almost replaced wholesale , but without full details of the mechanism I cant go ahead with that. I just added plastic to the bottom for levers and may add the cables and turnbuckles, but they will end where they enter the floor:

IMG_2095.jpg

I also straddled the existing box for wiring with a c channel of white plastic and will add the wiring soon.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yummy, tasty, and I am sure, very big!

Outstanding

JR

• Like 1

clive t , jean , john , Devo , martin , rod :

Thank you!

The Gotha kit from WNW IS daunting. It need full awareness and attention. But having typed that , I think it is within the average modeller to get done. The key is breaking the assy and prep down to manageable work sections. I went about it by breaking down assy groups by their color. Doing the wood , green , grey , blacks etc , clearing the parts of paint , and working each part to the optimum. I have never done it that way before , but when thinking about this kit for over 5 years it seemed a good way to go about it. . So far , so good.

The model will be in a dio display , so every now and then I'll throw in a dio bit. Here is the large fuel cart in first colors :

IMG_2197.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 5