Felicitations everyone.

Smudgeboy

Dave from Westerham in Kent here.

Last made a model when I was about 16 - which is 37 years ago, you "do the math" as they say Stateside.

My sister decided to have some fun at Christmas and bought me a 'starter' pack of some glue, paints, brushes and the Tamiya 1/72 scale F-4G Phantom II - which, when I opened it had the instructions in Japanese ONLY! :worry:

Like a scaredy-cat, I put that to one side (for now) and bought the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Vb, which is reminding me just how ham-fisted I am - and these days, quite spectacularly poor-sighted. Magnifying specs OVER reading glasses anyone? It's a look, but not a good one.

I've already realised there's much more to this than I ever realised when I was a teenager, so the Spit is very much a practice run, while I find out about the various techniques, tools, lotions and potions available these days. I'm starting with hand-painting, but I'm already feeling the tug of an airbrush for my birthday present to me.

Oh well, one-in, all-in, as they say. Look out!

• Like 2

Nice to see so many returnees.

If contemplating an airbrush, make sure you read the various posts on here about airbrushes, compressors etc. It's a common topic of discussion and hopefully you can be guided into buying one that suits your needs.

Try and get to a few model shows during the year if you can. Apart from admiring the models on show, there are usually lots of traders at these shows and you can see first hand airbrush and materials demonstrations. I'm off to the show at the Bovington Tank Museum this Saturday - my first for 2017.

Sadly, one big change since the old days is the demise of the old style model shop. There are some around but they are far less common than they used to be Model shows are often the best place to meet traders in the flesh..

Thanks Eric - in one way, I'm very lucky, as there is a long-established model shop (Maskell's) about five miles away from me in Sevenoaks. I plan to pay a visit soon!

Is there anywhere on here that lists model shows?