AIRFIX SHORT SUNDERLAND in 1/154 SCALE

A Beautiful build of a kit which is  a staggering 1/2 scale model of a model. I have one also  a Kader issue, It was by Lincoln, i believe, originally.  They did the same thing with their Rotodyne, complete replica but half the size of the Airfix kit. I have both  and look forward to building them  one day. The Sunderland makes for a good comparison with the LS kit of the Kawanishi H8K Emily.  Kader were sold in the uk. I bought all of my Kader kits from The Model Shop Harrow some time back in the 1980's but they were something I'd never seen before, and were clearly rare although not sought after being  all "box scale" one way or another. The DH Venom has since  appeared  from Glencoe, but the Auster ( approx 1/40th scale) has  never ben subsequently issued and is a nice, if basic kit.

• Like 1

That is a lovely little model there Adrian and it has caused me to re-check one of my 1:144 scale kits; as I think it is the same as your 1:154 scale model.

The kit that I have was issued/sold in the USA as a bagged kit by IM (International Models?) as seen by the header cardbelow

Sunderland_01_400.jpg

The kit has all the hallmarks of a Lincoln/Kader kit and is probably a re-issue after those companies had stopped producing it.

Sunderland_041024.jpg

I shall have to amend the scale details on my kit to reflect this new information. 

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bootneck said:

That is a lovely little model there Adrian and it has caused me to re-check one of my 1:144 scale kits; as I think it is the same as your 1:154 scale model.

The kit that I have was issued/sold in the USA as a bagged kit by IM (International Models?) as seen by the header cardbelow

Sunderland_01_400.jpg

The kit has all the hallmarks of a Lincoln/Kader kit and is probably a re-issue after those companies had stopped producing it.

Sunderland_041024.jpg

I shall have to amend the scale details on my kit to reflect this new information. 

cheers

Mike

Hi there Mike, I can see from the laid out parts that you definately have the same Kader Sunderland that I have built.

It is all there to see, the AIRFIX props, gun turrets, pilots, control wheels, holes for the beaching gear.  portholes, and sliding front turret carriage assembly all copied in miniature.

I also recognise all the kits listed on the header as being Kader and Lincoln kits but the stated scales are rather optimistic...........

Very interesting Mike

thanks, Adrian

Edited by adey m

I bought mine in the UK, and knew it was Kader despite the box name, but clearly not in the same range as these.   It is possible that this is being confused with things learnt later, but we didn't have a wide range of 2nd hand kit sales/shows in those days.  However, I don't recall much more, other than being rare, or having much choice.  Possibly not the full range, whatever that was at the time.

I'm pretty sure that the identification of the scales in that IM listing is a bit erratic.  The bigger ones weren't 1/50th, and my Viscount isn't 1/100 but smaller.

Edited by Graham Boak

36 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

................It is possible that this is being confused with things learnt later, but we didn't have a wide range of 2nd hand kit sales/shows in those days.  However, I don't recall much more, other than being rare, or having much choice.  Possibly not the full range, whatever that was at the time.

I'm pretty sure that the identification of the scales in that IM listing is a bit erratic.  The bigger ones weren't 1/50th, and my Viscount isn't 1/100 but smaller.

I'm not sure I understand what is being described in the first paragraph.

The scales in section D don't appear to be 1:144 either.

Mike

I was writing about my Viscount, which I have mentioned before in this thread: also that it was in a Lincoln box, but not from the same series as those shown.  It is possible that my knowing it was Kadar at the time I bought it is a false memory, and I only learnt that later.  Is that clearer to you?

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 08:44, ROBOT said:

Just can't resist old box art/old kits... So refreshing to try to get the best of old kits and you do'nt have to fear destroying delicate panel lines or break off tiny tiny resin antennae, don't you think?

LOVING your maritime aircraft selection, please post more pics of them !!!!

Your modelling room looks as clean as the operating rooms in our hospital...:idea: you should see my bench (joking, you can't, it's buried under modellinig waste...)

Thnx for sharing, olli

resized_414bbf26-868d-4447-8bef-4ec200c7

Okay Olli............

Edited by adey m

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 08:44, ROBOT said:

Just can't resist old box art/old kits... So refreshing to try to get the best of old kits and you do'nt have to fear destroying delicate panel lines or break off tiny tiny resin antennae, don't you think?

Your modelling room looks as clean as the operating rooms in our hospital...:idea: you should see my bench (joking, you can't, it's buried under modellinig waste...)

Thnx for sharing, olli

Your modelling room looks as clean as the operating rooms in our hospital...:idea: 

This is my operating room Olli.................this is where Airfix aircrew have arms, legs and heads amputated and transplanted.......................

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

I was writing about my Viscount, which I have mentioned before in this thread: also that it was in a Lincoln box, but not from the same series as those shown.  It is possible that my knowing it was Kadar at the time I bought it is a false memory, and I only learnt that later.  Is that clearer to you?

Ah, yes, got it now.  To me, it looked as if the comments were a follow on about the Sunderland.

Mike

hi All agin,

yes the LINCOLN Kit scales were all over the place and some barely fitted in the skinny little

(  very nicely printed) boxes .

Nowadays one can reproduce the "awful " Transfers on one's Home Printer either as per Original with ALL

the inaccuracies or trick 'em up to sumthin a bit more accurate

And yes .....'bout time Someone produced roolly good 1/72 V.Viscount's and Lockheed  'Lectra's

cheery "Weekend modellin' " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

They're beautiful models Adrian. The last picture shows the differences possible with a lot of care and application.

I got a lot of the Kader kits when I was a sprog from a relative who was in the RAF in Hong Kong. I still have a couple stashed away unbuilt, certainly the Gnat at least. Never got a Sunderland though.

• Like 1

I'm just home from the Hudderfield show.  On the Antique Aircraft stand there were examples of the Kader DC-7, "Helicopter" and Friendship plus Lincoln Gannet and Venom.  More than one DC-7, possibly also Friendship.  (I think that is the correct name for the sellers, but I can't find them in Google.)  Amongst other nostalgia feasts they had a Keilkraft Hurricane.  Another stand had a Novo/Frog Comet.  The prices were not extortionate.