French Mirage IIIC 1/48 Eduard

I wasn't sure I had anything already in the stash that qualified for this GB and Mrs K is keeping a close eye on purchases...but I pulled out a Weekend Edition of the Eduard IIIC with a rather nice NMF Armee de L'Air from April 1976 based at Cazaux.   The actual plane is No.92, EC 02/010 Seine, Armee de l'Air, BA120 Cazaux.  I have found a couple of reference pictures but am still doing my research.

I should mention that I have never attempted NMF before and so this is going to be a bit of a learning curve.  I am planning to use Vallejo Metal Colours.

Finally I should like to dedicate (my attempt at) this build to my good friend Tim, the only modelling friend I had to share builds with in person (as opposed to you lot) who died in a tragic motorbike accident last month and whose funeral was yesterday.   Although not a member I know he had enjoyed browsing the forum for inspiration.  Love to his wife Charlotte, son Hugo and daughter Petrie.

On with the build.

Some photos of the kit:

6220A3D9-2EAE-4F0B-A56C-6C433290D116_zps

83096407-F8E6-439D-9AA9-C859EA92E14D_zps

5993E1F0-53FD-426A-830E-BE1F2DEEDE0A_zps

9B1A80F8-CA60-44A7-9E1D-B596C16E878C_zps

F5BA5AA2-5D47-4DFE-ADD3-7544DA31D248_zps

As always all comments very welcome.

Dave

• Like 7

Excellent subject choice and in a cool scheme Dave :speak_cool: Best of luck with the NMF. I've a Royal boxing of this kit in the stash so will be watch your progress for any tips you share.

I'm sorry to hear about your buddy Tim. Sure he'd enjoy watching your progress on this one as well.

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Excellent subject choice and in a cool scheme Dave :speak_cool: Best of luck with the NMF. I've a Royal boxing of this kit in the stash so will be watch your progress for any tips you share.

I'm sorry to hear about your buddy Tim. Sure he'd enjoy watching your progress on this one as well.

Cheers Col.  I am looking forward to cracking on with the build...not sure about how many tips there will be 😉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Another jet to follow - Interested to see how the Vallejo metal pans out :) 

Cheers W am also interested re the Vallejo.  I appreciate everyone cites Alclad but hey you've got to experiment...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davek72 said:

Cheers W am also interested re the Vallejo.  I appreciate everyone cites Alclad but hey you've got to experiment...

If you get to the paint it stage before me I'll be taking notes as I've never painted an aircraft in alclad before, and I'm doiing bmf on the yak and it'll be another

Option

Where have the weeks gone....finally managed to get a bit of workbench time this weekend,   Cockpit is well underway.  Decal seat belts are not as nice as the photo etch versions but as this is OTB I will go with what I have.

Cheers

Dave

DB63A3F0-CC04-4728-A7C6-1E3B993D350B_zps

On 12/02/2017 at 7:15 PM, Flyingdutchman said:

French delta's are always good :). Had the box in my hand last week at my LHS, but was in doubt..now I can watch your build and decide later on whether I'll buy it or not! :)

Evert

They do look rather nice don't they 😀

Dave

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Crikey how little time have I had at the work bench in the last month...not a lot.

Still some progress.  The cockpit has now been mated with the fuselage.  Nothing too tricky but the front part of the cockpit didn't want to play ball and eventually had to be broken off and realigned.

D91236B3-0FB9-4853-B988-F1CA8EADDB9B_zps

A bit of filler was required here an there but probably my fault rather than the kit.  I used Vallejo filler.

BC59E151-507D-41D5-8B8A-1CFD105E8CD7_zps

5AA1D0C3-67BF-4F68-96E2-3BF1F25434BA_zps

Cheers for looking.

Dave

Edited by Davek72
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Nice work Dave.

I'm watching with interest as i have one of these to build list.

James

Cheers James. 

In my view this is a pretty decent kit but not 100% intuitive and requires a bit of massaging to get everything to fit. 

Dave

12 hours ago, Davek72 said:

Cheers James. 

In my view this is a pretty decent kit but not 100% intuitive and requires a bit of massaging to get everything to fit. 

Dave

Dave

That's impression I get whenever you see one built. They always seem to come rather well with a little bit of work. I think it's one of Eduard's older kits?.

It's the box art that gets me every time with this weekend boxing!

James

Good to see this one taking shape. Everyone seems to make comment about the kit parts needing a little help fitting together on these ones so sure there's no blame on yourself Dave.

On 26/03/2017 at 10:05 AM, modelling minion said:

Nice progress Dave, she is really taking shape now.

Craig.

Cheers Craig.  A combination of year end and family illness has meant that its been a week or so since I have logged on but really appreciate your comments.

Dave

• Like 1

On 26/03/2017 at 10:20 AM, zebra said:

Nice work Dave. I love the classic shape of a Mirage III. Your decal seat belts look just fine - better than the not-bothering-with-seat-belts approach I've taken with the Yak-28!

Cheers Z I have to admit I am really pleased she looks like a Mirage - potentially stupid comment but sometimes planes just look right!

On 26/03/2017 at 10:45 AM, franky boy said:

Dave

That's impression I get whenever you see one built. They always seem to come rather well with a little bit of work. I think it's one of Eduard's older kits?.

It's the box art that gets me every time with this weekend boxing!

James

Yep I think it is.  I had misunderstood that it was a rebooting of the Academy spurs but having picked up one of those at a reasonable price on *bay I can see that the spurs are completely different.  I was sold a couple of years ago on the Eduard Israeli boxing but made a complete mess of that one so hence coming back around.

Dave

• Like 1

On 26/03/2017 at 1:05 PM, Hewy said:

Thats gone together well davek,james is right its a difficult eduard kit to get right ,you seem to have done a good job 

Glynn

Cheers Glynn I am not quite counting chickens yet :wink:

Dave

• Like 1

On 28/03/2017 at 8:19 AM, Col. said:

Good to see this one taking shape. Everyone seems to make comment about the kit parts needing a little help fitting together on these ones so sure there's no blame on yourself Dave.

Cheers Col as always.  I started my Britmodeller "career" a few years ago on the P38 GB with a short run kit that was quite frankly beyond my skills but its those kits that challenge and develop you.  As indicated above this is my second attempt at this kit.  Here's hoping it all comes together.

Dave