Hi Andy, 

what a phantastic painting, great!

Many thanks for showing and explaining your work here for free and for making these superb pictures showing all details! This helps a lot as you can imagine, thanks a lot!!!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Wulf said:

Hello,

what did you use for that dark purplish brown grime around the wing joints?

Hi Wulf,

The grime is done, appropriately enough, with AMMO engine grime. It's actually just a dark grey colour but think the purplish tint comes from the blue tone in the paint (and partly from the camera lighting as well). It's a wash that I use a lot for adding shading and dirt.

There's an oil paint from  Abteilung 502, and another from AMMO, both called Starship Filth, that are virtually the same colour and I use those for the same kind of effect.

Andy

tyvm

I'm already using Starship Filth on my models for quite a while and recently started to use Engine Grime as well, after seeing its versatility in most of your builds. However, on my models, none of these paints give that purplish shade like in the picture above. Maybe it's really due to the base color and lighting.

I've also bought a lot of Abteilung oil paints in hope of getting a similar shade, without success. Closest one is Sepia, which is a very dark brown-black, but not exactly what i'm looking for.