roden & airways britannias monarch airlines

Hi everyone just finiished this one,Its one of my all time favourites as it was my first fixed wing flight back in sprihg 1971, It was a day trip from Luton to Paris {Beauvais} operated by Clarksons holidays. Monarch have always been one of my favourite airlines and I hope they can pull through their recent problems as it would be a shame for another great name to disappear from British aviation, also many thanks to my lifelong friend and fellow member Lindan who kindly bought this kit as a present for my 70th birthday, it has been a very enjoyable build.I have also added on here my first attempt at a vacform from around 25 yrs ago it has been in store for many years and is looking a bit tatty now covered in dust with fading paintwork and fuselage titles peeling off but thought it would make a nice contrast                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            P2070019_zps1ib6ji69.jpg                        P2070014_zpsrtfin2f1.jpg                                                                                    P2070011_zpsyjxqnfmj.jpg                                                                                   iiP2070020_zpswxqaxeao.jpgP2070004_zpsqay54ywh.jpgP2070005_zpsqblkje02.jpgP2070007_zpsalynnz8f.jpg

• Like 24

What a super pair of regal whispering giants.The big vac form is a real show stopper especially considering it was built a while back.The Roden model is a beauty too.I think I am right in saying that Monarch is the second oldest UK airline still operating under its original name(Notwithstanding it's .com rather than airlines these days)The oldest being Loganair.

• Like 1

Hello Hans in answer to your question the vacform is 1/72 scale which is a nice size to work with but unfortunately with airliners in this scale you tend to run out of display space very quickly.                                                                                                         Cheers Michael.           

• Like 1

Thats nice, and takes me back as I used to work in the hangar next door (Autair/Courtline) when Monarch had the Britannias.

Guess its because I am old but the prop aircraft, and even the early jets, Comet especially, had something that is missing from the modern airliners.

• Like 1

Hello Michael,

I'm always loving the sight of an airliner build in the RFI section , and your Britannias look absolutely fabulous !! Classic scheme and I especially LOVE the 1:72 one, very impressive build! May I ask, how did you make the windows?!

I have the RODEN kit in my stash  and hopefully it will come out as nice as yours some day,

thanks for sharing your build,

Olli

• Like 1

Wonderful !

Two beautifully built and finished classic British airliners. I have both these kits yet to build - one day !

When I visited Duxford (many years ago) there was  Brit in this scheme on display, I wonder if its still there ?

What decal (or other method) did you use for the "Monarch" lettering on your 1/72 vacform ?

Thanks for posting !

Don

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ROBOT said:

Hello Michael,

I'm always loving the sight of an airliner build in the RFI section , and your Britannias look absolutely fabulous !! Classic scheme and I especially LOVE the 1:72 one, very impressive build! May I ask, how did you make the windows?!

I have the RODEN kit in my stash  and hopefully it will come out as nice as yours some day,

thanks for sharing your build,

Olli

Hi Olli, The cockpit windows were cut out and then filled with Micro kristal klear as for the cabin windows i am not sure if they were already preformed as it was a long time ago                                                                                                                             Cheers Michael.                     .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aircraftkit said:

Wonderful !

Two beautifully built and finished classic British airliners. I have both these kits yet to build - one day !

When I visited Duxford (many years ago) there was  Brit in this scheme on display, I wonder if its still there ?

What decal (or other method) did you use for the "Monarch" lettering on your 1/72 vacform ?

Thanks for posting !

Don

Hi Don the fuselage titles were created from some letraset rub on transfers,the registration letters came from the decal spares folder and all the livery was painted.                                                                                                                                              Cheers Michael.

• Like 2