Help!!!!! Please

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, I did check but couldn't find anywhere with a suitable category, I need some help so here goes. After spending hours on my F15E I thought I would try some weathering from Vallejo with a model wash, so I followed all the instructions applied 3 coats of Johnsons Klear applied decals and then a further coat of Klear, so once I was all prepared I applied the wash. I left it over night and then started to remove it with a wet piece of kitchen roll. The result was disastrous see pictures below

DSC00054.JPG

DSC00055.JPG

DSC00061.JPGDSC00062.JPG

DSC00063.JPG

DSC00064.JPGDSC00065.JPG

So at the moment I'm pretty distraught and kicking myself, this is the first time I've used model wash and I don't think ill use it again. Can anyone offer any assistance in advice to where I go from here apart from the bin.

More info..

So I watched the videos on how to do it and it all looked simple enough, paint the wash on leave over night and rub off. Problem was that the wash was really difficult to remove so tried a really wet sponge so after doing some research it would suggest that this problem occurs if no klear or gloss coat has been applied. But I applied at least four coats so I don't understand where I went wrong, as I said I'm not sure what to do now. The paint job turned out well I thought and the filling worked well but after applying the wash it destroyed the paint any klear coating and softened and removed some of the filling.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Destructions

Feeling for you mate, :o

Was the gloss coat still tacky? I made that mistake once and found the pigments in a watercolour wash (same principle) simply stuck to the gloss surface! My usual rule- if you can still smell paint, it isn't dry!

Looking at the pictures it does seem quite localised- perhaps a 'panel by panel' strategic repaint? Post-it notes can be used to mask off individual panels without stripping off the surrounding decals (don't ask me how I found that one out either....)

EDIT:

Just found this info:

"they are water based and so thin with water. The wash itself is made with an acrylic resin so that the surface tension of the wash behaves like a solvent-based material, but it has the benefits of clean-up and dilution with simple water"

I suspect what's happened is the pigment in the wash has acted a bit like a solvent on a not-quite-dry gloss surface, and has actually melted into the top surface of the gloss coat, welding the pigment to the gloss coat. I suspect you won't have the same problem if you make sure the gloss coat is very hard-dry.

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2013/06/review-using-vallejo-washes-to-add-more.html

Nice F-15 by the way, looks the biz and I reckon you could save it. If worst came to worst you could even do a full repaint and buy some aftermarket decals.

Will

Edited by Killingholme

I always let the gloss coat cure for 72 hours, longer if I apply multi coats in a short span of time. You want it fully cured and rock hard so any washes or weathering don't react with the gloss coat. And I never let things "pool" as that risks it softening the underlying coats. 

I agree that that best approach at this point is to lightly sand/smooth out the the finish, trying not to damage any decals, then spot paint panels along panel lines to give it a more used appearance. Scuff edges of those panels to show removal; where that's not possible (not a removable panel) show touch up along the rivet lines to show proper corrosion control efforts. 

Worse case strip it and use another another set of decals. 

I would let it dry for another 48 hours. Then carefully try to remove with something like Tamiya thinner or so around the decals first. If it work then once over a decal so see if it will be destroyed or not. Maybe masking the decals again and a light  overlay with gunship grey again.  Otherwise Revell has a good Abteilung X for spare parts etc. Normally shipping free, I think. Good luck with that, but she isn't lost, I would say

Thanks for the replies guys, well the F15 is well under way to being restored, I'm kind of glad that it happened now as it looks better than before and I corrected a few things I was unsure of. I used some of the tips mentioned above and it helped a lot, unfortunately I couldn't save the decals so I have ordered after market ones but not the ones I wanted. But I will just be glad to get this finished and looking something like how it was meant to be.

Thanks again, ill post some pictures up of it restored and repaired when I get five minutes.

• Like 2