1:32 Mosquito Mk II

GeoffD

Hi,

Looking for help already with converting a 1:32 Revell Mosquito Mk IV to a MK II Nightfighter.

My uncle flew with 157 Squadron, and I would like to try and replicate his aircraft.

I have his Combat Reports, and he describes his aircraft as a Mosquito Mk II (AI.Mk V).

I have discovered a replacement resin Mk II nose from Grey Matter which looks good - Any opinions? Also a sheet of photo-etched parts for the cockpit, but for the Tamiya version - Would this be suitable for the Revell version. Also looking for the AI aerials, and, I think, gun barrels for the replacement nose.

Any other ideas?

Looking forward to a mountain of replies!

Cheers, Geoff.

Guns are available from RB Model:

http://www.rbmodel.com/index.php?action=products&cat=c_ab&sub=32AB

and Master:

http://www.master-model.pl/product/am-32-083.html

You would also need a fighter style canopy, since the Revell kit is the bomber version. I don't know of any aftermarket canopies currently available, beyond the (long out of production) Paragon conversion set. Of course the new Tamiya Mosquito FB.VI comes with a fighter canopy, so you might find a kind soul who would vac form a copy using that as a master.

cheers,

Jason

• Like 1

The fighter windscreen is flat across the width, whereas the bomber version is split into halves and raked.

Fighter version:

MosquitoFBMkVI_wip09.jpg

courtesy of Ronnie's excellent thread here on BM:

cheers,

Jason

• Like 1

Hi Jason,  

Again, thanks for the quick reply.

Do you know of anyone producing the A.I. aerials - Also whether the photo-etching for the Tamiya kit be suitable for the Revell version

Thanks for all your help today!!!

Cheers,

Geoff.

I'm pretty sure that an Australian company makes canopies for the Revell Mossie, I seem to remember them being mentioned on LSP (large Scale Planes) I will investigate further.

Cheers

Dennis

:welcome: aboard Geoff,

I was trying to make a fighter out of the Revell kit many moons ago, and after scratch-building the basics of a cockpit, managed to get hold of a resin one from @Neil of Paragon fame, along with some flying surfaces and a nose set.  I also had some vacformed canopies too, but the project stalled just after I'd cut out the flaps & ailerons, and still languishes in the cupboard.  The vacform canopies were supplied with the reboxed kit I bought, the company name of which I can't remember.  Neil also did some vacform canopies IIRC, but sadly he got a better offer of a job, and closed up shop some years ago, so these things are hard or impossible to find now. :shrug:

Some of the PE from the Tamiya kit will doubtless fit, but others will not, or require some modification.  If you're experienced with that sort of thing it might be worth having a look into :)

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information - I think I'll give the PE a go, and see how I get on.

Hi Dennis,

I'll see what I can find out and give it a go - I had a model shop in Carlisle in the '70s and '80s, and dealt with Richard Kohnstam for my Tamyia stock. I think they morphed into RIKO and suspect they have closed down, but I'll keep you posted.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Cheers, 

Geoff.

Geoff

I will check but might be able to assist with the radar aerials.  I was going to do the same and have 2 Beaufighter models in the stash.  I recall they come with the AI aerials so if I have still got a set you are welcome.  I need to get them out and check though.  If I draw a blank I am sure someone on here will be able to help with left overs from a Beau conversion to another mark.

Heritage did the vac canopy as well.  You might find one lurking about somewhere on the net

regards

John

Geoff

good news I do indeed have a 1/32 Beaufighter in the stash marked for conversion to a later mark  - not nightfighter - so a set of AI aerials are going begging.  Drop me a PM with your address

regards

John

• 2 months later...

I am just about to start building, but am very concerned about the best way to get a good finish on the model.

It will be finished in overall satin black (As a Nightfighter), but I'm not sure of the best way to do this.

My plan is to spray it in gloss black and then apply the decals.

I'm struggling to source Humbrol aerosol satin varnish. Would Plastikote varnish be useable on plastic and on the decals?

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Geoff.