1/72 - North American B-45A/C & RB-45C Tornado by Valom - released - Caracal decals+New Ware Masks+new RAF boxing

Homebee

2 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Which a unified pan-European currency prevents.

Thomo.

And also allows a larger area to be screwed over if someone decides to short sell the currency...but anyway.

I wonder if Italeri's price rise is down to an increased number of moulds from other manufacturers and therefore an increase in the various licenses. After all, isn't their Tornado and Su-34 from someone else?

RE: Some comments have indicated some people feel the price is a bit high. The price is not all that bad when you consider the plane is actually rather large-

it is closer in size to a B-17, than say a B-25. Also when you look at the price of the MACH 2 kit, at over $100.00-this price doesn't seem to bad. And as other's have

pointed out depending on where you (will) buy it can make a big difference.

Mach 2 kit over US$ 100,-???   Talking about making a fast buck??? ... In Holland it retails at euro 42,95 which in my calculation is about US$ 50,-

With the upcoming Valom kits completely unsaleable of course so will be dumped at next to nothing soon.  

Valom RRPs never seem to stand up to market forces too well- could be because they had some well publicised build issues in the earlier days, although I've sold on some Supermarine Walrus kits for reduced values too- and they are very fine models indeed! 

Don't worry. After Brexit there'll be enough shiny black speedboats dumping waterproofed bricks of plastic model kits off the Kent coast.. We'll be fine...

Will

• Like 1

THANK YOU!!! I like what I see I hope it fits together well, getting ready to place an order w/ West Coast Hobbys, I'm pretty sure there were only 10 B-45Cs built I bet the one Valom kitted Dropped the "Buster Jangle" Test Mk-7 A-Bomb on Nevada,

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mike Esposito said:

Hopefully we will get a canopy mask from Eduard! :fingerscrossed:

That is something I have been wondering about.  If memory serves, the B-45 didn't actually have a framed canopy.  Photos of early B-45As show a frameless canopy, and photos of the survivor at the US Air Force Museum, plus period photos, show a "gray" framework.  I think this is actually fiberglass tape applied to the frameless canopy, as was done with the F-84G, but I cannot seem to find confirmation of that at the moment.

16 minutes ago, LanceB said:

That is something I have been wondering about.  If memory serves, the B-45 didn't actually have a framed canopy.  Photos of early B-45As show a frameless canopy, and photos of the survivor at the US Air Force Museum, plus period photos, show a "gray" framework.  I think this is actually fiberglass tape applied to the frameless canopy, as was done with the F-84G, but I cannot seem to find confirmation of that at the moment.

Looking at the reflections on the glass , looks to be internal framing     aZtVtlH.jpg

Fiberglass! http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/KW_tour/KW-1.html

At least on the inside, looks like a couple of layers of thick stuff.

Photos of the Castle museum Tornado, as Radleigh linked to, show the framework on the nose is flush on the outside, apparently fiberglass tape, although the arch frames are pretty thick and probably structural (aluminum, not just fiberglass): http://www.ipernity.com/doc/ronslog/5372212/in/keyword/679540/

Which makes sense, the aerodynamic loads on that nose glazing would likely have required it to be stronger than what a plexiglass-only bubble could have provided.  It also looks like the framework on the canopy is not only internal, but on the outside as well, however there is not near as much thickness to the frames.  It doesn't look structural, it just seems to be tape applied to both sides of the one-piece bubble canopy of the early B-45A to strengthen it and give someplace to attach the rails for the flash curtains (the first B-45s were not nuclear capable, in part because they were not designed with a weapons bay big enough to carry Fat Man-sized weapons - the role came after the bombs began to be made smaller).

We have a B-45 canopy at BCWM. It is thick one piece plexiglass with fibreglass tape inside and out. The internal tape is quite thick, whereas the outside is maybe 2-3mm thick.

The moulding on the kit canopies is a bit thick. If a mask appears, it might be better to stick it on the inside and paint it that way, then polish off the external framework.

One annoying point is there is no locating tabs for the tailplane. A butt joint for a large item is not really on. Even Mach 2 managed a tab.

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

We have a B-45 canopy at BCWM. It is thick one piece plexiglass with fibreglass tape inside and out. The internal tape is quite thick, whereas the outside is maybe 2-3mm thick.

The moulding on the kit canopies is a bit thick. If a mask appears, it might be better to stick it on the inside and paint it that way, then polish off the external framework.

One annoying point is there is no locating tabs for the tailplane. A butt joint for a large item is not really on. Even Mach 2 managed a tab.

As you built the Mach2 kit this should be a brezze :P

Just a historical note-the B-45, and for that matter the AJ Savage both originally flew with frameless canopy's. During flight testing, both planes had cracking in the canopy, and it was decided to strengthen them with frameworks, as Lance B above points out in his post. I want to say the AJ had a canopy cracking and started to "flake" off in flight. Also agree with Radleigh, hope someone does a mask for this puppy.