DH.88 Comet Airfix 1/72

2017-02-07%2017.23.01_zpsnc2tbxad.jpg
Following my S6B below, here is another of my collection of racing planes. Well OK, the only other one - this is another of my plans for a themed collection that didn't quite happen. De Havilland's DH.88s were built for the 1934 MacRobertson Air Race and this is the green one, G-ACSR. It came fourth but was then used to carry the film of the race back to Blighty, breaking the round trip record in the process.
2017-02-07%2017.24.22_zpswnsutwc3.jpg

Of course its Airfix's very old 1/72 kit and its another mould that should be taken out and shot. The fit is poor, the sprues are flash city, the nacelles were short shot and didn't fit, the shape isn't right - I could go on. OK I am going on.

2017-02-07%2017.23.22_zps0sybatvv.jpg

The raised panel lines were re-scribed, including fuel tank caps, and everything filled and sanded a lot, including the fabric flying surfaces. As usual I put in a basic cockpit, but you can't see it as the canopy is so thick. I added the nose landing light from a bit of polished clear sprue, other builds have used costume jewellery for the same purpose. The decals fought me all the way and I omitted the mass balances because they just looked too awful.2017-02-07%2017.25.13_zpshreh8q4r.jpg

Paint is classic Humbrol Brunswick green, which was also laid on thick to create the absent canopy frames. They should be finer but never mind.

2017-02-07%2017.23.56_zpszpnzpo4y.jpg
I didn't weather it, its more a desk ornament than a representation of the real thing. Looks like the propellor hubs have been knocked askew as well (again) - this happens a lot as there is not much nacelle for them to sit on. Another old classic that could do with a modern going over?

Edited by TallBlondJohn
  • Like 23

To Celt;

Please try it again with a little more patience, and don't throw it away. It would be a pity!

I can remember I have built it 50 years ago (I was 15) and didn't have any problem with it.

It just was a pleasure to paint this beautiful aircraft in a fantastic bright crimson colour (from Humbrol of course, I think

Humbrol was the only game in town in the 60's)

20 minutes ago, celt said:

I have tried to build this Airfix kit  on numerous occasions and all have been thrown against the wall in frustration,well done on yours.:worthy:

The nacelles are the worst bit, I had to totally rebuild them around the intakes but never got the ends right which is why the spinners aren't on straight, should just have filled and glued the whole lot solid. The underside was another area of fit issues, in fact the wing fillets were different sizes which had to be fixed. Finally the canopy is a different shape to the fuselage behind it so much fettling needed to get it even vaguely flush. But it can be done, just lots of filler and sanding which demolished my panel lines, you can't see much after all the coats of paint.

This kit has been issued as Grosvenor House and Black Magic, plus there are after market sheets for all three plus the various post-race guises so there are lots of possibilities. It looks good but like a desk ornament rather than a model if you know what I mean. An interesting subject that deserves more, well done Airfix for kitting it in the first place. The steady re-issues suggest it still shifts units.

Edited by TallBlondJohn
  • Like 2

That is an old kit but you have really turned a sow's ear into a magnificent silk purse. I doubt whether many people would pick up on the problems of accuracy that you mention - they would be too busy admiring the finished model - I was!

P