Heinkel He 115 N, Norway, April-June 1940 - day light photos added

JWM

Hi,

I started it last July, finished yesterday. This is Frog mould of He 115 C produced now by Revell, I converted it into He 115 N of Norway. The  conversion (WIP thread) was presented here:http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235006240-norwegian-he-115-in-172/

The photo of this machine, which inspired me to construct it is that one:

he%20115%20%20norway%201423_zpsqrhl9e54.There is also a thread in WWII part on caputred in England ex-Norwegian He-115s 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63595-captured-heinkel-115/&page=4

where Mr. Kjetil Akra was kind to present some illustrations from his not issued yet book on He-115.  I appreciete very much his great help in details of differences between Norwegian He 115 and German He 115 C.

The main part of conversion was in engines and front glazing.

I not exactly followed the scheme in profiles of Kjetil, since for me the at the photo above some non-regular Norwegian national insignia is overpainted hastitly on the top of fin. Moreover I see the dark green spatches on wing near fuselage and they are not present on profile. The spatches on left wing are my "licence poetica" but I think they are in logic of Norwegian patterns which you may see on Hover MF 11 as well.  

Here is the results:

he 115 DSC04325he 115 DSC04323he 115 DSC04322he 115 DSC04321he 115 DSC04320he 115 DSC04319

he 115 DSC04326

Photos are taken with bulb light, now I wil have to wait until week-end to do day light at home. When I go work in morning it is still a bit too dark, when I came back it is dark again....

Comments welcome

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

P.S. from Saturday, the 11th Feb 2017

Below are addditional, day light photos which I promised :):

he 115 DSC04337he 115 DSC04336he 115 DSC04334he 115 DSC04335

Thank you for watching

J-W

Edited by JWM
new photos added in early '17 and 1st August '17 - swich to Flickr
  • Like 52

That has turned out really well J-W :clap:!

I like your interpretation of the paint scheme on the photo.

This model would look nice on a base with a water effect. Then with a black and white photo it would look just like the real thing :).

Outstanding work on transforming a basic kit; very interesting subject.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Nice build. The kit was originally Matchbox, maybe Frog issued it as well? I ruined one as a 12 year old and have a Revell issue in the stash for the float plane group build (maybe). Good to see a Norwegian build of an oddly overlooked plane.

Edited by TallBlondJohn
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Nice build. The kit was originally Matchbox, maybe Frog issued it as well?

Thanks! - Actually (it is strange) Revell is producing now two different kits of He-115, one is original old Frog mould (which was never issued as Frog - the company collaped before release it), second one is former Matchbox . Look at this complicated scheme here:  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/115146-revell-4342-he-115-c-1 . They are tottaly different, both more or less not accurate. .. I chosen ex-Frog due to higher wing profile (a bitt too high, but better than more flat of ex-Matchbox)...

Many thanks also to Adrian and Tony Tiger :)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Raises the question what have I got? - Probably the Frog.

Please, have a look here:

http://www.olddogsplanes.com/115.htm

Then, comparing your model you will know if you have old Matchbox or Frog.

Regarding whole mix on Revell He 115s - I did this discovery not long time ago,some 8 months only perhaps... :). It was exactly when I started to think seriously on doing this model. 

Cheers

J-W

Thanks, as you may have noticed I'd figured it out (Matchbox) and edited my post. Of course now I've been down the links I've found detail sets and precut masks... must resist. I bought the original Matchbox on a family holiday in Brittany, I can't even remember how I wrecked it. I was hypnotized by its lovely arctic green and white splinter scheme, unfortunately it seems that wasn't accurate - the actual scheme was a wavy white (RAF style) applied over the underlying green Luftwaffe splinters. Not quite so sharp but I'm a sucker for a winter camo.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Not quite so sharp but I'm a sucker for a winter camo.

Me too! I was intending to do He-115 in a winter camo, but then I have found this photo of Norwegian one... Have you seen my Dornier Do 26 in winter camo and Me 321 also in white, by chance? They were posted both here in last year somwhere in summer or just before it... Earlier I posted here also winter Fi-156.

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
mispelling corrections

Absolutely stunning. It is so great to see mine and my co-author´s interpretation of colours and our findings regarding technical issues translated so beautifully into a 3D-shape! Congratulations, JWM.

Best regards,

Kjetil

• Like 1

Kjetil, many thanks again for your great help and comments :) This model could not be done without your care and advices. I wish you a great success with you book on He-115.

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

Nice to see this one finished J-W and you have not disappointed us as it looks fantastic, I love the paintwork and the nose glazing conversion work,

Great stuff,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Mike, many thanks.

18 hours ago, MikeR said:

Always great to see something a bit unusual.

The joy is mutual - It is not only nice to see something unususal but also it is nice to work on something unusual :) ....

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1