Trumpeter 1/35 SA-6 Gainful Surface to Air Missile System *Completed*

This should keep you NATO boys on your toes. I picked this kit up a number of years ago and I might as well pull it out. I'm only in 2 other Group Builds, what's one more! It looks pretty good in the box, although I've said that about Trumpeter kits before and been burned, so we shall see. I will build a Czech one, just because it's camouflaged as the Russian one is straight green.

P2190017_zps0tsyforj.jpg

Edited by Brad
  • Like 5

Ouch! That could spoil an unsuspecting aircrew's day. I've no idea how well regarded the Trumpeter AFV kits are but am certainly wary of their aircraft kits with regards to accuracy levels. A quick search brought up this review;

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/modern/trump00361reviewcs_1.html

The dimensions mentioned within suggest the missiles are too long and there are issues with the shape or proportions of the fins are not perfect but I'll let you read it through and draw your own conclusions :) 

• Like 1

I wish I'd done something Czech, so will watch this one too with interest. Such variety in this GB it's fab! Feels like a real Cold War is brewing on here..

• Like 1

I've now got the hull glued together, I did have to take a mm or two off the back of the upper hull to make it fit better at the front. Lots more stuff added and still more items to glue on.

P2250021_zpsfv4cnzvm.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, the good bit; painting. I've been slowly transitioning all my Humbrol to Gunze and I have a lot of old Humbrol paints. Not wanting to buy anymore until I have finished off a few tins, I pulled out some Humbrol 117 dark green for the vehicle and launcher. I'm not sure what I will use for the red-brown, but I have some Humbrol 120 grass green which matches nicely for the light green.

P3040027_zpsq8jqzupu.jpg

Now the missiles. The instructions said they were the same dark green as on the launcher, but looking at pictures they were always much darker in colour, sometimes almost an emerald colour. I had a look through my stash of Humbrol and pulled out Humbrol 195 Chrome Green. That tin was given to me by dad, it is at least 35 years old, older than me. I cracked it open and well, these are the results. Not too shabby for an old paint.

P3040026_zpsjsp7f0rv.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hewy said:

Sorry if ive missed somthing ,but have you got the fins on the missiles back to front on two of the fins on each missile or are they meant to be like that, very nice though,

Glynn

Meant to be like what? The leading edge of all the fins is swept backwards.

14 hours ago, Brad said:

Meant to be like what? The leading edge of all the fins is swept backwards.

Not picking fault brad, maybe the camera angle ,or even my eyes,they aren't the best, 

Glynn

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

Not picking fault brad, maybe the camera angle ,or even my eyes,they aren't the best, 

Glynn

Nah you're all good. I have done something like that before on my Seafire prop lol.