C-141B strech

Trenton guy

Looking to shorten the Roden C-141B to make a C-141A. All my references indicate that the stretch to be removed is 23 feet ( +/- 2") but none reveal how much before the wing and how much aft of the wing. Does anyone have information regarding how the stretch was divided up? It would be much appreciated.

According to my trusty Orbis Warplane Data File the plugs were 4.06 metres (13.33 feet) inserted directly ahead of the wing and 3.048 meters (10 feet) inserted immediately aft of the wing.

There is also a reference to fitting "improved wing root fairings".

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

DO NOT go by photos of the prototype C-141B!  They changed where the stretches were made on the production C-141Bs.  The original leading edge light was painted over (or it may have been a thin metal panel) and the light moved forward.  Another thing to watch out for is the rear emergency exit hatch (not the rear entry doors).  The hatch was originally above the sponson, but was moved aft of the sponson when the stretch was put in on the production B models.  To backdate it to an A model you would really have to cut out fuselage sections around the sponson and then try to get the remaining rear fuselage section to fit into the resulting gap.  Do a search on C-141 pictures, or if it is still around C-141heaven.net (or was it .com?) to see what I mean about the rear hatch.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

I have Anigrand's C-141A "Hanoi Taxi" in the stash.  I shall attempt to take a scan of a fuselage side with a ruler alongside.   I won't be able to do it until later though, maybe tomorrow.

Mike

• Like 1

I tried to scan the two fuselage halves but that didn't work so I have taken the  photo below.  It is not the best but it may just help with identifying where the section breaks have to be.

Mike

c-141_comparison_1.jpg

• Like 1

I checked last night and the site is:

www.C-141Heaven.info

It is still up and operating.

Later,

Dave