Supermarine S6B - Frog 1/72

Built this a while ago, trying to get back into the habit of posting builds. The old Frog kit is greatly superior to the very old Airfix but still has its issues, but I just added a very basic cockpit and the bracing struts - they are not wires. To get the aerofoil shape I built a jig out of scrap sprue and glued two lengths of 0.08 monofilament fishing line side by side with thin superglue, which worked perfectly. The struts could be tightened up with heat in the normal way and paint filled what was left of the central grove.

2016-10-13%2021.33.41_zpsvejdv6eh.jpg

Paint is Humbrol, good old 'silver' 11 does a rather good salt weathered metallic aluminium. I went for a fresh paint look, just out of the factory or into the museum.

2016-10-13%2021.33.54_zpsuwvz2rmu.jpg

The only problem was the decals instantly fell apart, which I expected. So I painted the tail - which got the blue matched - and replaced the serials with Model Decal British pre-war serial numbers and scraps were used for the float trolley markings.

2016-10-13%2021.33.07_zpsbjskpbua.jpg

Would be nice to see this historic plane retooled or in larger scale plastic, plus other Schneider racers (there are resins out there - I'm tempted to take the plunge). It may not have guns but what an engine!

Edited by TallBlondJohn
  • Like 33

Very nice work.

Testors released a 1/48 S6B and Smer released a 1/48 Macchi Castoldi M.C. 72. As you've noted, these racers were beautiful aircraft.

If you decide to pick up the Smer, be prepared for some work, that kit is the flash king and the detail is soft.

Looking very nice! Ingenious approach to the bracing.

5 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Would be nice to see this historic plane retooled or in larger scale plastic, plus other Schneider racers

Hear, hear!!

4 hours ago, Air-to-Air said:

Testors released a 1/48 S6B and Smer released a 1/48 Macchi Castoldi M.C. 72

And there's Karaya's (resin) Short Crusader.

5 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

It may not have guns but what an engine!

.. & in that close cowl fuselage it really makes the pilot seem like a mere passenger slipstreaming along behind that engine. Great stuff.