Avia B-71 - ICM 1/72

CedB

Thanks Simon, kind of you :)

Had a quick look at the windows before close up:

32476874980_620711056a_z.jpg

Well that doesn't fit - you can see by how much (just) by looking at the plastic showing through at the top. Not looking good for the smaller ones:

32704539702_a85a064af1_z.jpg

Sorry about the out of focus shot - trust me, they're tiny. Two options; trim the plastic until it fits or use ClearFix later. Guess which option the lazy me is going to go for? Just need to mask up the holes some how.

Quick wash, still drying:

32858162665_7cc81c5cb1_z.jpg

I may follow up with some grey if that doesn't look right when it's dry.

• Like 13

Thanks Beard - I did think of that and no, that side wouldn't (easily) fit so it'll get the ClearFix treatment. The other side (for some reason) wasn't as bad and has gone in with a bit of trimming around the opening.

Thanks Spookytooth - Clearfix or Kristal Klear are my friends for small windows like this so I'll leave them until later.

• Like 2

Heck of a job on those interiors, Ced! :clap:  :clap: Not my kind of aircraft, but I reckon you're making it looking very interesting.

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

Thanks Giorgio - glad to have you along even though it's not your thing :)

Thanks Sarge - couldn't have done it without your instructions!

So, here's the next puzzle:

32737741151_eb3abd4f90_z.jpg

The centre section parts are just taped, don't worry. What I worried about was the three bits in the middle (the cockpit floor and walls) and the i/p bulkhead with very flimsy control column fitted. The instructions would have one fit the walls and floor to the TOP, even though all the locating pins are one the bottom. Hmmm. Perhaps the walls will go in through the front?

32707938232_1d875d8e74_z.jpg

Nope. In the end I balanced it carefully in the top and then... damn, it's slipped:

32021359804_86c82c409f_z.jpg

You can see the locating pins on the back that go under the seat, but can you also see the pin on the right? That located in the bottom. I tried again, even more carefully, and it all clicked into place so rule #1 applies - if it fits glue it - so I glued the sides and back, quickly positioned the bottom half and pushed everything into place.

Next puzzle. The bulkhead has two locators on one side and one on the other. Matching holes in the very edge of the front bits.

32823263516_08cffa8b4c_z.jpg

Hard to hold together but, when taped, I carefully manoeuvred the column through the gap, only to find that it didn't fit because the floor and walls stick out:

32740820001_2bea4511ee_z.jpg

I hope this is right - I can't see that I've fitted things that badly. Try again, this time being a little more, er, firm and there was a click and a good fit. Taking it apart and looking for damage there was none, but the bulkhead had clicked inside the front sections:

32049700263_a24f23a27f_z.jpg

There it will stay! I also trimmed the window frame so that the clear part fitted, glued the sections together and it's now drying:

32741077121_62a84b46c5_z.jpg

• Like 16

Nice to see it develops step by step. I like the colour of the interior, although a bit too much weathered for me. You are very lucky by all the companionship on bm for this  tricky one. Maybe you should make a good photo of the finished one, then make a 20000 pieces puzzle of it and sell it back to Ike..errr ICM for the price, you have bought it. Cheers :whistle:

Edit: For more!! Just saw, how expensive they are!:coolio:

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

Hello Ced, this is painless! You must be mad!

Good to see you yesterday, It was nice to have a chat and catch up. 

Thanks for the coffee. Joe 

• Like 1

Nice work Ced B)

For blocking off little holes prior to spraying I recommend a little bit of cut-off washing-up sponge, just cut a bit off and cram it in with a toothpick (or a cocktail stick, if you are all refined) then pick it out afterwards with tweezers (but don't poke it in too far [fnarr])

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

Thanks PC and Cookie - very kind :) I can't take that much credit as it's the Citadel Sepia Shade recommend by RobVulcan - you just kind of splash it on, make sure the part is upright and it does the rest, great stuff.

Thanks Stew - top tip! I'll certainly use that, thanks :) 

I had a fiddle with the nose before bed last night and I'm a bit disappointed at the fit... and there's no locating pins I can see. Perhaps I need to wiggle it more but I'm terrified I'll break off the control column. Tense.

Also, I must check the fit of the nose glass. Should have done that before I glued the nose parts together in case, like Bill's Beaufort, I need to shim it for width.

See I do learn - I just also forget. Rats.

• Like 3

Thanks John - hopefully it will all come together soon, at least I'm hoping so!

Keith very kindly sent me some pilots that arrived this morning (thanks Keith!) but sadly the crew that we all have trouble fitting into the Do17 don't fit here at all:

32496201990_63a1ece762_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Best laid plans and all that... I'll have to make up the story that target tugs just had the pilot, or find a smaller candidate from the ever increasing pilot stash. He'll also now have to fit through the gun ring as I've got my act together and joined the rear fuselage bits:

32877456855_666558eafa_z.jpg

The mid-section has been glued on the wing roots only, down to the front join. I have to retract my previous statement that there are no locators for the nose - they are there but they're only small so they don't stop you getting the join wrong unless you're careful. I'll try to be that later.

• Like 9

I don't know why but I seem to always stumble across these threads when they're about 4, 5, 20 pages in... I'm the one at the back jumping up and down trying to see over the average sized people in front :)

• Like 1

Might I assay a modest hubba-hubba at the rapid and delicious progress you are making with this aircraft Ced. You are like a time-lapse film compared to my glacial slow-motion: I always come away from your builds energized!:thumbsup2:

Tony (doing 'work' emails at work...)

• Like 1

Superb progress Ced. 

That shade of interior grey is lovely; it looks like a Vallejo colour.

It also looks like it would be very nice for some VVS aircraft. It may be my eyes (I'm on the iPhone screen very late at night), but I can't see the shade number; it would be great to know ;).

Youve got further than I ever have with this kit. A completed Frog kit let me know quite how cool (looking) this aircraft was for its time. It's a little like the Polish PZL 37 ŁOS; not on looks (although wings, generał dimensions, outline, a little), but more in historical/technological terms.

Ahead of  its Time, but only briefly, during a period of rapid technological advancememt and change within Aviation science. It led on to the Archangelsky 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkhangelsky_Ar-2

Available as an extremely challenging but ultimately, very beautiful kit by Amodel.

Erm, have you tried an Amodel yet Ced? They're quite, er, interesting. Addictive in a perverse and enjoyable way :lol:.

This step by step will help a lot of enthusiasts Ced :thumbsup2:  (and blunderers like me :D)

TT

• Like 3

Hi Clive and welcome :)

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I always come away from your builds energized!

Thanks Tony - so that's where my energy's going! Glad you're enjoying the thread. My speed isn't much hampered by this 'work' thing of which you speak, lucky old man that I am.

Thanks TT - the Vallejo is 71.103 'Grey'. I thought I was being clever leaving it in the shot of the spray booth (like Tony Oliver does) but that doesn't help mobile users - sorry!

Interesting to hear some history on the mark, thanks.

I've not done an Amodel yet - a 'joy' to look forward to :)

Thanks John - Rob recommended the sepia stuff when I asked how he'd done his Stirling internals - great stuff and really easy to use.

Thanks Leon - I'm getting there... the next step is putting the fuselage together so just engines (which look simple) and wheels up. Oh, and outer wings.

Time to take on that troublesome nose. The last time you saw it, it was clamped - guess what happened when I was taking the clamps off?

32064886403_8716059e17.jpg 32064876603_0b5fbc26a9.jpg

Bound to happen. Lesson learnt - always check your clothing prior to standing up from the bench!

It's back in now with the pilot installed. Also, with wiggling, gentle pressure and tape, the nose is on with a reasonable join:

32879609005_5a1b9ffcc4_z.jpg

32065143313_9e0eec096d_z.jpg

A dry fit on the nose glass shows a good fit so worries over:

32498413510_8cd1fd418e_z.jpg

but nerves shot, so I'm having a rest for a bit before tackling the back.

• Like 14

Good to see you found the control yoke, it would have been a bummer to have lost it...even if it won't be seen when on the ceiling! It'll stop Fritz the pilot getting irate at not being able to control his aircraft!

Ian

• Like 3