Avia B-71 - ICM 1/72

CedB

Thanks Simon - oooh, bacon butties :Tasty:

There will be crew, but probably just the pilot (shown waiting above). I don't have many Luft crew, just him and the two PJ Productions I'm 'saving for special'.

'Interesting' is the word for it. Much pondering required. After that I've glued something else. Can you see the locating pins and holes on the second spar?

32648610611_80271ae956_z.jpg

and that tempting bar in between (to be ignored). Well, don't rush, there are two side panels between the spars. Everything fits nicely (once scraped a bit) but need holding:

32618865432_0f9353edd4_z.jpg

Note use of the not-so-good masking tape for holding things in place and the gently gripping Bernas.

More pondering and glueing tomorrow.

• Like 9

Coming along nicely Ced. Those instructions really can furrow the brow, so its nice to see photos of the step by step process :).

I forgot to mention that the German pilot is very nicely painted. I hope he can read dials in Czech ;).

TT

• Like 1

On 2/7/2017 at 2:35 AM, CedB said:

Avia-B-71-(SE+FX)-Prague-Czechoslovakia-

Hi Ced,

Mind if I join the party? If it helps I can supply dead-fly biccies and egg banjo's for additional fueling!

Looking at the above image I think I am seeing the standard three colour upper surface camouflage used by the Czechoslovakian Air Force, albeit a bit faded. That may help explain the spurious 'mottle' scheme.

I too have this one in the stash, (purchased in 2006 at the Perth show!) and might just be tempted to break it out.

On-On!

christian, exiled to africa

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 2

Thanks Tony - if it's useful I'll continue the step-by-step (ish) photos, that way everyone can copy avoid my mistakes! It'll also make me think things through a bit more...

Thanks Christian and welcome (especially with extra biscuits!). Any tips on the 'three colour upper surface camouflage' appreciated - I've looked in the new IPMS Stockholm site (no Czech), then found this thread on BM that says 'Sand (light ochre) = FS 16160, Dark Brown = FS 30040 and Dark Green  = FS 34097. I guess if I fade it enough then 'close is good enough'!

(BTW your post appears three times and is duplicated in a couple of them - if you could delete a couple that would be great - and sympathies for the technical problems! :) )

Tape and clamps off this morning:

32778356125_c2be5ca3b2_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I'm liking the detail - nice. I just need to ponder how far to go before spraying the ?RLM02? insides. The scheme says 'Light Ghost Grey'. Thoughts?

• Like 8

I really don't know, if the whole plane was repainted. I would guess only the visible outside. So I would go with the original Avia interior colour for czech planes. I don't know what colur they had.

Will be heading to the Sauerland tomorrow morning and I guess I'll see on sunday, what colour you took . Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks Christian for editing the posts! I sympathise with your problems having spent a couple of weeks on my friend's farm in the depths of Zambia... very slow connection, but you should see the size of his 'WiFi aerial'! About 60' IIRC.

Thanks Benedikt - good point; how much re-painting was done? Light grey internals would show the detail nicely... and 'standard' two-green camo would be easier and seems to match TT's scheme... :hmmm:

Plenty of time to worry about the external paint job, but I think light grey internals would be 'cool'.

I've tried searching for more details of 'TB+PK' but I just get stuff about Tuberculosis in Pakistan - poor people sure, but not much help (he said selfishly).

• Like 2

Just searched a bit and came across this: Not much but something less is more than a full of nothing ( Hope you can say so).

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/SB-2M/Tupolev-SB-2M.html

Edit: http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/yuri_pasholok/tupolev_sb-2m100_katyushka/

Avia-B-71-Prague-Czechoslovakia-1938-05.

I would go with light grey personally, even maybe not correct. Maybe with a shade of Rlm 02 overlayed and then a bit polished away again. but you will have to try, which is the coolest colour for the details.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Christian and welcome (especially with extra biscuits!). Any tips on the 'three colour upper surface camouflage' appreciated - I've looked in the new IPMS Stockholm site (no Czech), then found this thread on BM that says 'Sand (light ochre) = FS 16160, Dark Brown = FS 30040 and Dark Green  = FS 34097. I guess if I fade it enough then 'close is good enough'!

(BTW your post appears three times and is duplicated in a couple of them - if you could delete a couple that would be great - and sympathies for the technical problems! :) )

:rage:

I'm liking the detail - nice. I just need to ponder how far to go before spraying the ?RLM02? insides. The scheme says 'Light Ghost Grey'. Thoughts?

Those colours sound about right and IIRC Light Grey would be a good call for the internals. As the surface still exhibits the original service colour then I would expect the internals to be the same as well.

Deleting done! :dalek1:africa:dalek1::rage::rage::rage:(and today is a good day...)

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 2

Hello Ced,

Very neat work on that delicate interior :thumbsup2: .

My earlier words on possible use of German splinter camouflage; I've taken those words, put them on a plate with a little Worcestershire sauce and some runner beans, and I'm thinking of eating them.

I had (typically for me), in the past only really immersed myself in the Spanish Republican SB aircraft and schemes (another modellers paint nightmare). Looking at the interned Czech aircraft photos online now, above all the photos for the target tugs, it looks like Czech camouflage scheme 'B', with German yellow (and insignias over painted - field colours) is a safe bet.

This page appears helpful. It's in Czech; online translation helps. I can read a little Czech (not very well), but perhaps our Czech Britmodellers can help?

The sections on 'Zbarveny' (colours) are good. To the right are superb camouflage plans, in the colours you have already found matches for in your BM link above.

The interior grey suggested by ICM also seems a good and safe bet.

http://www.cs-letectvi.cz/letadla/avia-b-71#kapitola6

All the best

TonyT

PS: Scroll up and down from

my link.

Edited by TonyTiger66
PS Added.
  • Like 2

Some nice detail coming along there Ced.

AS for the camo scheme, I would of gone with black and white/red and white squares.

Such is my knowledge of East European Warplanes (Czech/check)

Tomato sauce or Brown? Limited of lettuce at our local supermarket!!!!!

Simon.

• Like 3

Another one we have in common Ced, although I've got the more usual Soviet variety, so I'll be following with interest as always.  :coolio:

I've got a few ICM aircraft kits in the stash, generally the ones that have serious fit issues, so I'm hoping this one will prove to be an exception to that particular rule.....For both our sake!  :pray:

• Like 3

Thanks Benedikt - that's a great link and photo. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to detail the cockpit much (see below)

Thanks Ozzyman and Christian- greys it is (although not 50 shades, titter titter)

Thanks TT - a great link (with Google translate's help). I've pinched the camo diagram (maybe for masks?) and just need to work out what colours to use for H - c. 1634, SZ - c 1383 and ZS - c1573 as I don't have the TEBAS paints (har har). I bet I'll confuse SZ and ZS somewhere...

Thanks Simon - red and white squares for Czech camo? :rofl:

Thanks Rob - I'm still dithering about the paint too - newish Luft splinter or faded Czech... dither dither.

Thanks PC - shooting down a 109? :hmmm:

Hi Sarge - the fit on this one, once cleaned up, is quite good so I'm encouraged. The instructions however...

I refer you M'lud to the previous submission of the 'Ikea' instructions:

31940798654_671b46444c_z.jpg

The cause of my madness (today) is top left, C22, C23 and C18. Looks like the wheel bay, right? Right? So why is there only one set of parts...

32660593901_28e9143aaa_z.jpg

scratch head. Try a dry fit with 'the useless tape':

31970038533_9d21955c73_z.jpg

See, the little half-round locators? They fit into slots in the top bit and the sides are angled. Hmmm. Fiddle with tape, peel it off, throw it away and use Tamiya.

Check sprues, definitely only one set of parts.

Peer closely at the 'instructions' - Aha! Allow me to enlighten you with a quick edit:

32631784082_63d505b935_z.jpg

It's the bleedin' floor and sides for the cockpit innit:

32631098052_049e140ab8_z.jpg

Idiot. Let's try it there. 

31970578123_7cccf903fa_z.jpg

Um... no wait, I have an idea. What if I balance it, carefully, and put the other half on:

32743970066_02f707cc11_n.jpg 32784757275_e16c1c0cfc_n.jpg

That second shot is 'the right way up' - the build is upside down, but you knew that eh? Right, the answer is to paint the parts and glue them when I put the halves together.

Later. If I calm down enough.

• Like 15

Read today somehere, that another builder had the same problems as you and would have given up without the aid of the internet. Maybe its from Ikea and not by ICM and they call it in Sweden something like " Kläppkästchen Brökkbie" or so. Who knows? Of course there with no ä,ö, but with a,o and  a digonale dash throughout, which of course is also not on my keybord here.:wonder:

• Like 6

Thanks Benedikt, Simon, John, Giorgio and Tony :)

The kit actually isn't that bad, it's just the frustrating puzzle trying to work out what goes where, but I'm getting there, slowly.

Keith if you're sure you don't need your pilots I'd be pleased to have them - PM sent!

At least parts E2 are obvious - just don't put them in upside down:

32634952812_1e272ff025_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 7