Avia B-71 - ICM 1/72

CedB

Hello Ced, I just must say and admit, that I REALLY like and respect your mental stability by now on all these things after all I read by you, since I know you. Otherwise I would have deleted that M*a*s*h Video from the first page instantly!! (Sorry Ced! (err for that))

For me: Ein sehr töfter Kerl!! "Töfte" (ruhr-valley slang for nice-cool-reliable-fair)

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

Eeek! The transfers from hell :o! I sometimes wonder if early ICM transfers are printed by the same people as early Roden ones. The same happens.

Both companies have replaced transfers for me with ones that worked, but in both cases postage was slow.

The model looks absolutely fantastic Ced, that shot before the second coat of Klear... very nice.

I know it's a test of patience (which you actually do have more of than most people I know) but; after all this effort and making such a good job of the paint work; it would probably be best to get rid of those upper wing crosses at least :shutup:. If you're like me you'll always regret it if you don't.

The part of any completed (those were the days..) model I always used to look at first on the shelf, was always the dodgy bit I knew I could have rectified, with just a couple of hours extra work. (Edit; the dodgy bit that was more dodgy than the rest of my, admittedly, very dodgy models).

Off with the crumbled crosses and on with replacements is my vote, but it's your model Ced and only my humble opinion  :innocent:.

All the best

TonyT 

Edited by TonyTiger66
Spelling and edit
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone for the kind support :) I think I'll leave the transfer as it is because a ) it's not too bad (for a worn aircraft from a distance, if you squint, b ) it will get 'weathered and c ) it will be on the ceiling. That said I bet it draws your eye on subsequent photos - errors are a modeller magnet!

Weathering this morning. I assembled suitable weapons:

33080994996_a44bd2a5f0_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Tested the citadel Citadel on the tail:

33123823855_b4c31a4747_z.jpg

Happy with that. Also tested some other stuff for the top on the paint mule:

32996958251_456b8b7502_z.jpg

Citadel Biel-tan green, Humbrol dark green and dust by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Possibly the Humbrol stuff, not sure about the Biel-tan green - too green. 

I stuck a little roller on the tow gear and blobbed some null-oil on and in the slot:

32741240180_67f3964360_z.jpg

On with the sepia - slosh it on, wait a bit, brush backwards with a sponge:

32308068963_789d99a71f.jpg

32279093264_1e89d629dc_z.jpg

IWFTTD. Over to the Firefly bench.

• Like 6

Here it is dry:

33127047195_deecce9238_z.jpg

I liked the dust effect on the mule but, when I've tried this before with the 'brush and rub off in the direction of the airstream' method I've just ended up with a stripey effect. I wanted an all-over but thin effect so I got out the Boots makeup sponges kindly donated by Mrs B:

32970681302_5d6e6babd3_n.jpg 33000583081_345d635761_n.jpg

They were good - sponge on the bottle and tip some stuff on, blob on the surface then use a dry part of the sponge to soak up excess. Easy.

32970787572_8ffe878cda_z.jpg

Here's a close up for interest:

33000596641_3f4a038fbb_z.jpg

I was happy with that until I read Tony's post on his Barra about picking out the parts on the aircraft rather than just 'processing' the model and producing a 'diagram'.

Next time. Maybe.

• Like 9

Hello, The top side looks good to me. Like dirt looks on a car after a steady summer rain. Maybe a bit too much for me. The underside is different as I would have expected the dirt more along the panel lines and less in the center of the panels. Definetly too much aside of the b and p and too blobby. And on the engines should be the most ( more than on the wings). But perhaps I'm too critical (as ususal). Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks Benedikt - glad you like the top :) My theory excuse on the bottom was that it was newer paint. The blobs are inspection panels, perhaps too heavy.

What's "b and p"?

Still need to do the pastels on the engine / exhausts after the matt coat.

IWFTTD. Later!

• Like 2

Ah, got it - they're inspection panels again. Thinking about it they should probably be cleaner than the rest... something for me to remember next time!

• Like 1

Have to say I agree with Benedikt Ced, your weathering is a little too heavy and uniform for me, but I do appreciate how quickly you get it done! My weathering takes me days!

And of course if you're happy that is entirely all that matters! :)

Keith

• Like 2

Looks like you've had a lot to deal with While I've been away. Those decals are right stinkers, you've done a great patch up job. :innocent:

The weathering looks good. I'd have gone with oils for the underside as you can easily rub off any bits you don't want with white spirit but regardless she's looking tops. That yellow is a nice subdued shade.:rambo: I also see you have started another kit. Two at once? What's wrong with you people? I'm off over to have a shufty.

keep up the good work.

Johnny

• Like 1

Thanks Keith - it's probably my 'need for speed' that causes the problem... I think I've learnt from seeing Tony's Bara, and your comment that it takes you days, that I need to slow down and be more careful. I'm happy that it's 'up to my usual standard' but I need to improve!

Thanks Johnny - glad you like it. I shall be trying oils soon(ish).

Wanting to get this done (there I go again, rushing) I matt coated, stuck the props on and removed the masking:

33095264666_429a7bcb54_z.jpg

Humbrol Clearfix has been used to fill the little windows - it worked fine on the bigger one too:

33095281746_c75d661ee1_z.jpg

That should 'tauten' overnight too. I've also painted the what-I'm-calling-canvas cover for the gun slot:

33009805841_ea089b32a4_z.jpg

Pastels tomorrow, then done!

• Like 7

This looks really good Ced :thumbsup2: 

If Benedikt likes your top, I must say that I'm very fond of your nice yellow bottom :o:lol:!

Not an easy kit to build at all, yet the end result is just superb. It looks a lot better than the Frog kit. There's something about the cockpit to nose area that ICM have got right here, a 'look', whereas it's not quite 'there' on the Frog IMHO.

Yup, after all my ramblings I have to say; nice rescue on the crosses. Indeed, all that has happened is that a mechanic danced on the starboard one one night after too much Schnapps, wearing hob nailed boots. It happened a lot, during the war :whistle: .

RFI soon Ced; 'up to usual standard' means, I believe, you've pushed the envelope a little further yet again.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Grammar
  • Like 2

I'm in with Benedikt et al on this I'm afraid, but it still looks pretty good, just a little overdone. I think the undersides could have been done with just a light pastel wash which would have been far more subtle.

I have pics of how I did the Muromets, I really need to get them posted....of course you may not like what I did, but at least it will give an idea of what can be done...

Ian

• Like 1

The top has blended in nicely, I don't know about the bottom. Not having seen a picture of underside of one of these aircraft it's difficult to say, but being a ljght colour I would expect it to show all the streaks and muck.

Well done anyway, 10/10 for perseverance.

Cheers

John

Edited for grammar.

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

Thanks TT - very kind and deserves a fnaar fnaar too! :)

Thanks Ian - it's split the audience this one eh? I'm not sure I'll be doing a 'dirty bird' again until I've improved my weathering skills... but I've yet to declare this 'done' and I may be able to do something about the finish. I may even use this as a 'test' if I can get the sepia toned down :) 

Thanks John - very kind. I'll have a go at streaks later with the pastels. :) 

I got the 'proper' camera out this morning to get some specific shots against the reference shots we've found so I can decide what needs to be done. Here's the image TT kindly posted

32370660140_3ee0af74d4_z.jpg

and the model:

33102644506_bc8b3f9392_z.jpg

You can see the dirty effect I was trying to achieve but, when I applied the sepia, I was more worried about applying the wash than the effect - schoolboy error and lack of experience. I wanted to get the panel line effect and, well, didn't make it. Also note the towing gear - I've scratched the one from the actual photo below and another drawing although I know there were two types of gear fitted. Yes, I chose the easy one!

Here's another of the bottom:

32761300380_fe4b1081ce_z.jpg

DSCN0075 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Benedikt's right that the attempt to 'highlight' the inspection panels has just resulted in 'blobs'. I'll see what I can do later.

I'm happier with the top, I think. Here's the reference shot

Avia-B-71-(SE+FX)-Prague-Czechoslovakia-

and the model:

32761300650_f0c0e6b7c9_z.jpg

Flickr won't let me edit these shots in Aviary (files too big?) so please try to ignore the white! I'm happier with that, even though the subject looks less than perfect.

One of the top, not so close up:

33102470976_598fba0efd_z.jpg

DSCN0074 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

A couple more shots of (hopefully) interesting bits. The Clearfix has tightened:

33102470836_2f87ff5284_z.jpg

Happy, although next time I'll make sure I clean the hole a bit better so the edges are nicer - they don't get softened as they usually would with glue.

And the little windows:

33102470666_9c107a2b51_z.jpg

Of course, as you know, I've fallen out of love with this and I want to get it finished, but I will put some effort in to the final stages. I'll see if I can get the sepia toned down and then see what I can do with the pastels.

• Like 10

I think she looks pretty good the cracked decals and dusty look kind of works. Not your best for sure but learning new skills is part of this lovely hobby and it's great that you are taking the plunge rather than sitting in the "Safe" zone. Hats off Ced, you may have fallen out with her but she's a custardy beauty with a lot to love. :lol:

If I've learned anything over the past year it's that you can't rush, there are easier options but time spent pays off.:innocent:

good luck with the final touches.

johnny boy.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 5

hello I 'm very keen to see, how it will look, when finally finished. For the photofiles; yes the are ar probably to big. But that doesn't matter, as it shows the size, when you look at the real one, I guess. So it looks good. maybe some rework on the yellow.

Ps.:As it is Rose Monday here I switched over from coffee to Bailey's coffee (Nice breakfast.) Maybe going into town for the Schrove Monday procession ( beer is also bought for that and wine for dinner):fool::clown::dunce:  So,if I should write some Ääännggliiiisch with some german words inbetween tonight , then please don't mind or bother:winkgrin:

• Like 3

Thanks Johnny - very kind of you :) I'm not sure I'll be taking any more plunges soon but, if I do, it will be slowly!

Thanks Benedikt - I have done some more, see below. Shrove Monday sounds like a great day in Germany; all we get here is pancakes tomorrow, if we're lucky! 

That bottom. Hmmmm. I thought the Citadel sepia was going to give me a nice 'wash' finish but actually the stuff is designed to coat the whole surface and 'pool' in the crevices and detail to highlight them. It also dries as a sort of 'film' that's quite resilient - it will shift with water but it doesn't go liquid again, it sort of 'peels off'. Eventually. Here's the bottom after my washing efforts this morning, pre-Micro-meshing:

32299612094_c15c69b759_z.jpg

You can see why I decided to try the Micro-mesh; the washing scrubbing left patches and stripes. Final result in the RFI.

I also put some Aqua Gloss on the glass, dubbed some black in the exhausts and did a tiny bit of pastel for the exhaust stain. Enough! Now in the RFI here.

Some shots I didn't use:

32990429822_2237437d7d_z.jpg

32990429102_d418cb7e75_z.jpg

As always, thanks for all the help and support during this build and for your companionship - always appreciated!

• Like 8

There seems to be some wobbly worry about this one. I'm flummoxed. Because I think it's really good!

its quite feasible that it had a dirty day and the yellow got a bit streaky.

It's a trainer and I bet they were used quite intensively from muddy airstrips.

Well done on a unique and difficult kit Ced; it's a win, come back in a few weeks and you'll like it again and want to fondle it :D.

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

Top surface fading looks spot on to me, the bottom is a good first try, you'll get the hang of this kind of weathering in a short time. Great saves on the Balkenkreuz! :clap::clap: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

Halalala.  Looking good now so far ( top side of course!). Leave it as it is by now for a couple of days and watch at it again. If you like it, then leave it as it is . If not, John ( the Spadgent) would explain to you for a little yellow overlay again. An oil wash would have been easier, as you can wash it away, to which you like. It also deepen the colour, without make it dirty too much. Anyway

Ps. I'm  a bit surprised, that my english is getting better after alcohol and my german is  getting worse

Anyway I'm out now and couldn't resist to post that:

• Like 1