Avia B-71 - ICM 1/72

CedB

Thanks Stew - top tip on the two balls method! I've also put another coat on the enamels - you're right, better now than when it's too late :)

Thanks Giorgio - dry brushing 'with the same paint'? Did you mean the green/brown or something else?

Second coat on the enamels:

32911828242_025ce1e983_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Better.

How long before the Klear coat chaps? Late afternoon? Tomorrow?

• Like 10

Thanks Ced - an addendum to the "two cheese balls" method - make sure your dog is sitting, because when they are looking up at you the throat is in a straight line from the mouth and the first cheese ball will be gone before it can be analysed by your dog :D - an understanding of biology being the other thing that separates us from the beasts in the fields. And opposable thumbs, of course. And the whole concept of money. And so on.

Good move on the paint, I think. As you are using acrylics I imagine it will be okay to apply the Klear this afternoon?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

Two days slaving away to get my models finished for last night's club comp., & I miss three pages of updates that has resulted in a nearly fully decorated Avia. You don't hang around do you Ced...?! I had an almost exact duplicate of your spray booth filter on Tuesday too, although I appear to have been using rather more dark earth...!! Just used my last one as well, so also looking for more now.

One thing with the pastels Ced - you may find they don't stick too well to a Kleared surface, they tend to prefer matt...

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks Stew - Molly always sits for cheese! Paint; the green and chocolate are enamels, thinned a bit. Can I Klear it this afternoon? Can I, can I?

Thanks Keith - ah, thanks. OK, so Klear, transfers, matt then pastels. Got it. It'll be good to see what the various coats do to the finish too.

What to do while I'm waiting... thinned black in the radiators and vents. Paint the horn thingies. Tailwheel. Pitot. Clean up the LE. 

32941891101_cd45eb3fa9_z.jpg

Is it dry yet? Is it Dad?

• Like 11

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Giorgio - dry brushing 'with the same paint'? Did you mean the green/brown or something else?

Apologies Ced, I reckon I've been a bit cryptic :) What I mean is to go over, say, the green drybrushing with the same paint you used for that color - just because when you drybrush (at least with acrylics) the pigment tends to appear lighter than with a regular brush stroke, thus giving a sort of subtle faded effect. If you want to accentuate that, you need to mix it with a lighter color, though. I sometimes use this method after a Klear coat (there's more tone difference in this case), sometimes before.

Again, I did that with acrylics (Lifecolor, specifically), so if you want to give it a try, I strongly recommend you test it on a scrap piece first

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Is it dry yet? Is it Dad?

:rofl::rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 4

Glad to hear that Molly's feeling better. It's the other way around with our dogs, they're suspicious of taking things from the vet but usually OK with us, and cheese is our usual method of disguising medication.

The green seems to be the least well covered of the camo colours so I think Giemme's method would work well on that before you '  Kleer ' it, if you havn't already done it.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Well done on hand painting a very tricky scheme Ced :thumbsup2: .

If it was me, I might be tempted to give it another coat of the green. It's still a little translucent. Tempted I say, but not sure:shrug:?

The radiators look very nice, the whole thing looks very autumnal, I can see the rationale behind the camouflage scheme. The yellow although not part of the original Czech camouflage, has the surprising effect of looking like the colour of a flower bursting through autumnal foliage :).

'tis  a very pretty thing to behold. It's also one of the most unusual colour schemes I've seen on BM, on an unusual aircraft, which is an extremely good thing.

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Hello as above I would give it a third cote of colour (on all three) Then maybe and dark oil wash. Then chalk pastells..Nice camo anyway. Yes that could also be a swedish camo scheme.

Nice that Molly is feeling better and yes they all love cheese at all. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Camo looks good Ced, yes it's patchy but after a coat of O'Leary, (where did that come from, I meant Klear) transfers, Matt coat and a liberal going over with pastels it should all blend in nicely I think!

hope molly is ok

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

The more colours go on the more I am liking this. I'd agree with others that subtleties of technique will be your friend at this stage to build on the variations achieved so far Ced. :thumbsup2:

Tony

Thanks Giorgio and Leon - got it now. :) The green and chocolate are both enamels (qv) so I'm not sure the dry brushing will work?

Thanks John. Sadly Mols isn't better. Although she didn't get me up in the night, when we went to the vets this morning her temperature was UP so a ) still no vaccination and b ) whisked off for an Ultrasound and X-ray to try to find out why she's tense in the abdomen. The nice ?Polish young lady vet said, quite rightly, that Spaniels are always happy but tensing her abdomen when it was gently pressed showed she ws in pain, poor pups. They didn't find anything ominous on the images so she's on antibiotics to try to counter the rotting carcass in her inside that's also causing, yuk, 'gas'. Back tomorrow (again) for another X-ray. Thanks goodness we're insured.

Another vote for coat-before-Klear eh? Rats.

Thanks TT - and another vote! "a flower bursting through the autumnal foliage" - very poetic :)

Thanks Benedikt - another vote, so it doesn't look as though I'll get away with the Klear coat tonight. Ho hum.

Thanks Rob - I was hoping you're right and it would blend in later, but the consensus seems to be 'don't risk it'.

Thanks Simon - my filters arrived today!

Thanks Tony - glad you're liking it! "...subtleties of technique will be your friend at this stage to build..." i am lost. I don't have an ounce of subtlety... bash it, splash it, that's me.

I will do another coat. Will someone please tell me how long to leave the enamels before Klear?

• Like 7

Thanks Stew :) I'll do another thinned coat now and have the day off tomorrow (or start something else...). Providing, that is, Mols is OK.

Looking good. Glad you decided to do another coat. I don't use enamels but once the base coats are more solid I think knocking them back with pastels and adding depth with panel lines is the way to go.

seems a long time to let paint dry, I knew there was a reason I stick with acrylics. 

Fingers crossed for Molls.

John.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CedB said:

Will someone please tell me how long to leave the enamels before Klear?

Sorry Ced, I saw your initial question earlier today and forgot to answer. Stew's right about 24 hours, if not a little longer.

• Like 1

Thanks John - Molly says 'Woof!' :) 🐾

Thanks Johnny - another coat was had tonight:

33077225265_eb3bcd660d_z.jpg

Now I have to wait for (thanks Simon) 24 hours, or MORE! I'm with Johnny - acrylics (or two models on the go) are the answer.

• Like 9

Yes, 24 hours I would leave them to dry. I do so usually.  You painted thinned coats, so maybe less time. Anyway I would go for sure on that. They put the time to dry somewhere on the can, but I was never be able to read this. Looks much better now. Now you have time to figure out, what you will build next.

• Like 1

Much better Ced! Remember you're going for faded not thinly painted, the pastels will take it back. Make sure the surface is mat for those. Just scrape some into a small container with a knife blade. I apply them with a fairly stiff brush dipped in water, then brushed on in strokes fore and after. Continue brushing, adding water/pastel dust as required until the desired effect is achieved!

Ian

• Like 2

Hope Molly is better in the morning Ced, I thought pets were supposed to help relieve stress...?!

My son's Newfie Hollie went down with pancreatitis back last summer & we were trying to give her antibiotics & other pills for a couple of months! She managed to sense them in any food disguise that we tried (& usually managed to eat the food before spitting out the pill which she somehow managed to secret in her jowls!). The vet eventually said we'd have to resort to holding her head back & try to throw the pills down her throat! Boy, can a Newfoundland lock their jaws when they want! 

Fingers & toes crossed Molly won't need many more pills!

Paint on Avia is looking nicer!

Keith

• Like 2