Avia B-71 - ICM 1/72

CedB

Having pondered the stash looking for something painless I've chosen this one:

31905919314_d77e205fbd_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I picked this one up at a show when I was in my 'I haven't built a kit from them yet' stage to try out ICM; with a tagline of 'New in the Best' who could resist?

Unusual? Certainly. Popular? Er, there's one completed by Richard M here on BM and he commented "Not a bad kit, tries hard but just isn't really top banana. Went together reasonably well, some areas are hampered by overcomplicated number of parts resulting in multi seams to fill. Interior is very nice with some very finely molded parts." :hmmm:

There's a review (in German) but with nice sprue shots here. I shall try to do some research but the first problem is the scheme. Luftwaffe for me, obviously, but what colours? Here's the kit scheme (it's in B&W) showing 'Field Green' (Model Master 1712) and 'Dark Green' (MM 1710) mottle (gulp) with 'Flat Light Blue' (MM 1562) underwing BUT 'Insignia Yellow' (MM 1708) fuselage belly, rudder and nacelles?

31935072423_80e90c0d97_z.jpgUntitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Eh what? The review shows a simpler scheme but with yellow on the wing underside too. Confused?

I'll do some more looking up and come back... soonish.

• Like 16

I'm right here on the front row Ced. :)

This is one Ive actually built (a few times). They didn't survive the UK to OZ journey in 2008 (also my first attempt was a failure).

Be careful handling the sprues/runners; its very easy to break some of the undercarriage leg parts. It may actually be prudent to remove them early with a nano saw and bag and label them. They're beautifully detailed and fine for 1/72, but supremely easy to break.

The wing root and spar areas build more or less like the real aircraft. It's important to get it all very well lined up, or the whole aircraft becomes progressively more and more out of alignment and takes more filler. If kept in alignment you'll get away with very little filler indeed.

The gun mounts and guns are also very delicate. Again, ponder taking them off early and bagging them safely. It's quite brittle plastic and the sprues flex too much for the guns etc to survive my level

of normal handling, removing other parts in the prior building stages.

I think ICM are perhaps a little in error with 'TB-PK' Ced, with regard to the paint scheme and also; aircraft role.

The ex Czech B-71's that had yellow undersides were ones that the Germans used as target tugs. Correspondingly, there was towing apparatus.

This isn't shown on your ICM paint scheme of TB-PK, but can be seen here:

SB-71 for Ced

AFAIK thesr aircraft was repainted in standard German splinter camouflage, with completely yellow undersides, rudder and demarcation as can be seen above, quite high on the fuselage sides. 

Although the profile above doesn't show mottle, this link shows a photo of what I believe is TB + PE (quite close to 'PK') and the wing leading edge shows an interesting demarcation; although I'm not sure if that infers a mottle for that one.

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/SB-2M/SB-2M-Mixed-German/pages/Avia-B-71-(TB+PE)-Prague-Czechoslovakia-1940-01.html

There are pictures of other target tug B-71's in Prague 1940-41 on the similar page:

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/SB-2M/SB-2M-Mixed-German.html

No machine guns to break if you do a target tug one, but a towing mechanism to scratch that I don't think ICM include (I don't have this boxing)?

Finally, don't  trust the earlier (like this) ICM ModelMaster paint numbers Ced, they are often a nonesense and not a good basis for conversion to another brand. See below for an idea on alternate colour schemes/paint call outs.

It's actually a lovely kit, with a fascinating build sequence, superb interior, nice transparencies and surface detail, that builds into a very attractive bird; quite a big one for a mid 30's twin engine too. It's an earlier ICM but I love it; secretly building two more on the 'worry pile' very slowly.

The big yellow H have had some 'Legato models' Czech decal sets for them reduced to a mere 80 pence for years and they're very nice, with good paint call outs, and many colour scheme options in case you fancy a different paint option:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/LKD7207

Apologirs for waffling on so much; this is a big personal favourite and also, I've c*cked them up a lot, so thought I'd share some experience. The old Frog kit of this is a surprisingly good model too, the early MPM with vac fuselage is hard work; this ICM is the best one we're probably ever likely to see :thumbsup2: .

Best regards and enjoy!

TonyT

• Like 7

Welcome all!

Simon S (hope you don't mind the initial) don't resist, just pull up a chair :) 

Simon B (ditto) thanks - this one seems to have been 'popular' and the original design certainly 'got about a bit'. Russian is an idea but... see below.

Rob I'm interested too - you should see all the sprues! 

Tony thanks for the info and tips and please don't apologise, it's really inspired me! You've REALLY caught my interest with the target tower and, oooh, look at that yellow scheme! I know, I know, it's yellow, but I'm smitten so TB+PK it is (probably with the simpler camo). 

Your link to Asisbiz says:

Numerically the most important bomber in the world in the late 1930s, the SB was the first modern stressed-skin aircraft produced in quantity in the Soviet Union and probably the most formidable bomber of the mid-1930s. Many versions saw extensive action in Spain, the Republic of China, Mongolia, Finland and at the beginning of the War against Germany in 1941. It was also used in various duties in civil variants, as trainers and in many secondary roles.

Here's the picture from your link:

Avia-B-71-(TB+PE)-Prague-Czechoslovakia-

Note the closed over single opening in the nose. And the tiny tiny frames (gulp). A rare colour shot of another target tug:

Avia-B-71-(SE+FX)-Prague-Czechoslovakia-

Not mottled - hooray! And yellow underwings here. I'll be building wheels up with no guns so they'll be safe from damage.

Thanks Giorgio - painless it was, but exciting it is!

Hi Benedikt - not considering suicide (yet) but thanks for the M*A*S*H memory.

Right, taget tug TB+PK it is. Hold on to your hats boys!

• Like 9

Welcome Leon and Keith :)

Simon thanks for the biscuits!

Benedikt that's a great shot and link - thanks very much.

Sorry I've been distracted recently - I've been bidding for some Revell Pilots and ground crew on eBay - just lost them as I wasn't prepared to go over £25.

£25!! I can buy seven or eight sets of PJ pilots for that and there's only nine in the Revell set (I don't want the ground crew). Good luck to [***] who won the bid. 

Strange, eBay. That was my first (and last) auction and I must admit I find the process far too irritating when it's something you want. Unlike Weird Al:

Anyway, must get on, there's a pilot waiting:

32765430685_34f0bd9ebc_z.jpg

If he fits...

• Like 9

Thanks occa :)

A quick check on the sprues and there's very little flash... except on the props (top one after attention with the Citadel, bottom before):

32643291941_6be85226fd_z.jpg

Instructions anyone?

31953149483_6d6d227c07_z.jpg

I'm obviously going to need my thinking head on for that... I've cut a few parts off the sprue but this needs care, and I don't have any right now!

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, occa said:

A nice Bloch MB 152 on the left !!

I spotted that 'French fancy' too and was trying to figure out what it was.

I wonder where the photo was taken? Could the Bloch have found its way to Prague? Or has the B-71 found its way to France? Or? Great photograph.

Glad you're doing the target tug Ced, it's a really interesting subject. I know it's said that these old colour photos can't be trusted too much, but I love the yelllow in them. It looks the same in many colour pictures I've seen of German WWII aircraft; a lot of white in the yellow, almost a pastel shade. Would look nice on a model 'hint, hint'  ;).

Did someone mention Bourbon Creams? Is the kettle on?

TT

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Sorry I've been distracted recently - I've been bidding for some Revell Pilots and ground crew on eBay - just lost them as I wasn't prepared to go over £25.

£25!! I can buy seven or eight sets of PJ pilots for that and there's only nine in the Revell set (I don't want the ground crew). Good luck to [***] who won the bid. 

Strange, eBay. That was my first (and last) auction and I must admit I find the process far too irritating when it's something you want.

Oh ebay is a bit weird. There are some ridiculous offers and some you can never get at a right price. Sometimes not and you think: "What the hell I got this for that price". Ramble gamble at its best! But, if you look for something, that isn't on the market anymore, it's just an option, which is welcomed for me. Nothing more. But you have to look at it always as on their competitors like "Ebay Kleinanzeigen" or "Quoka"  or so as well. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, occa said:

A nice Bloch MB 152 on the left !!

You beat me to it, I was a little curious when I noticed that!

Oh, and it looks as though I made it here before the 7th page too...result!

Ian

• Like 1

Welcome TT, Cookie, Tony and Ian - save me some biscuits, please?

Thanks Benedikt - I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds eBay a bit frustrating.

I glued something:

31926361954_1aa47a1b13_z.jpg

but only after a lot of thought. I'm liking the kit, designed a bit like Airfix new tools where, when you get the part in the right place, you know it's right. Except with this one there's some flash and blobs so careful dry-fits and scraping are required. I've only glued the back of the bay - once that's set I'll glue the spars down and then build off that - there are location pegs just over the wheel bays so you know it's right.

• Like 13