1/48th Firefly T.1 trainer- Belcher Bits Conversion with Grand Phoenix Kit- RCN.- Decals On!

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

Thanks for the kind words,.......got quite a bit done recently and the model is almost finished,......... highlighted the panel lines, done some weathering, added the wheels, u/c, seat harnesses etc and brushed on a few coats of matt varnish;

DSCF9792_zpshastwk3w.jpg

Just the canopies, rear view mirrors etc and it it is done!

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 8

And now the model is finished!

DSCF9793_zpsu8gzbh8z.jpg

DSCF9794_zpsn36wxh01.jpg

DSCF9816_zpsotx87v6m.jpg

Thanks for all of your support along the way,,....... and a huge thanks to Mike Belcher for having the courage to release this set.

Tony

• Like 15

Another great end result Tony - I love it! You've done the kit and the conversion set justice there and produced a lovely model.

Nick.

PS - not sure how many hundred model aeroplanes you've built in your time, but I'm guessing there aren't that many with red nav lights on the right wing...???!!! Just thought I'd mention it.... Been there, done that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beard said:

That looks splendid, Tony, as usual. The yellow looks really good (was it Humbrol acrylic spray? If so which one?) and the matt finish is superb.

Thanks mate,........it was Acrylic 24 Trainer Yellow,......the tin can be seen on the previous page. The matt varnish is an old bottle of Aeromaster matt varnish.

14 minutes ago, Nickthebrief said:

Another great end result Tony - I love it! You've done the kit and the conversion set justice there and produced a lovely model.

Nick.

PS - not sure how many hundred model aeroplanes you've built in your time, but I'm guessing there aren't that many with red nav lights on the right wing...???!!! Just thought I'd mention it.... Been there, done that.

Cheers Nick,.......OMG,......cannot believe I goofed that, I even had the tins of paint laid out with red on the left to remind me and I even double checked the diagram I keep on my modelling desk to be sure,.......that is what you get for rushing to take the pics before you lose the daylight,......I`ll be sorting it out tomorrow after the paint has fully dried!! 

Thanks fellas,

Tony

• Like 1

Here in the USA, "right on red" (after stop, and of course if traffic permits) has become the norm at intersections, unless a sign tells you otherwise.  For nav lights I perversely remember it by telling myself "NOT right on red!"  (I guess more properly I should say not red on right, but sometimes I think memory aids work even better if they aren't logical- or maybe that's just how I work...)

If you'll forgive me, Tony, logically the black panel-line enhancement seems a bit much, but at the same time looking at the pictures makes me like the effect.  Certainly better than "one big blob of yellow".  And I know things can look very different in person vs. in photos posted.  My "new" Firefly arrived yesterday- I think it is time I spoke to Mr Belcher!

bob

Sweet! I like the look as it seems to really capture that post-war hard used and not too lovingly maintained because of austerity weariness.

So what is next?

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Here in the USA, "right on red" (after stop, and of course if traffic permits) has become the norm at intersections, unless a sign tells you otherwise.  For nav lights I perversely remember it by telling myself "NOT right on red!"  (I guess more properly I should say not red on right, but sometimes I think memory aids work even better if they aren't logical- or maybe that's just how I work...)

If you'll forgive me, Tony, logically the black panel-line enhancement seems a bit much, but at the same time looking at the pictures makes me like the effect.  Certainly better than "one big blob of yellow".  And I know things can look very different in person vs. in photos posted.  My "new" Firefly arrived yesterday- I think it is time I spoke to Mr Belcher!

bob

Hi Bob, 

I was taught to remember it with the sentence "there's port left in the bottle" - i.e. port = left, and the colour of port (wine) is usually red...

As I mentioned in my post to Tony, it is easy to get wrong, especially when the model is upside down. I can't remember the aircraft, but on one with separate upper and lower nav lights, I once managed one red and one green on each wing...

Not my finest modelling hour...

Nick.

• Like 2

Thanks for your kind remarks everybody.

On 3/8/2017 at 8:55 AM, gingerbob said:

If you'll forgive me, Tony, logically the black panel-line enhancement seems a bit much, but at the same time looking at the pictures makes me like the effect.  Certainly better than "one big blob of yellow".  And I know things can look very different in person vs. in photos posted. 

Hiya Bob,......in my defence, here is an overall yellow Firefly at Duxford which has quite visible panel lines;

22835234851_982d386a54_b.jpg

bbt_firefly_wa_08.jpg

Although I do take your comments on board, especially for the wings, as seen on this Firefly in Denmark;

Image result for fairey firefly yellow

Out of interest,......for anybody who wants to do a `different' overall yellow Firefly,....here is the wreckage of a Royal Navy Firefly T.1 Z2108/245/LM from 766 NAS, RNAS Lossiemouth (HMS Fulmar), which crashed in the Scottish Highlands on 16th May 1949, unfortunately both crew were killed. As you can see it wore the overall yellow scheme with black codes applied, which is quite rare and I have informed the FAAM about this rare wreckage;

bigfire4.JPG

1766.jpg

1767.jpg

1755.jpg

All the best

Tony

PS,....as of December 2018,.... I`ve never heard back from the FAAM, despite e mailing a number of times to various people!!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Missed the finish of this one when it was originally done Tony and as usual done to your excellent standards.

Also want to thank you for posting the photographs of Z2108's wreakage up in the hills. Until now I had a vague memory of seeing a photo of a Lossie-based Firefly T.1 but never confirmed it. Now I need to find a T.1 kit and add it to the Lossie/Milltown project stash :) 

• Like 1