1/35 MiniArt SU-85 1943 Early Production Model

Hi guys, I've been struggling to get any modelling time over the last few weeks, but for a good reason, I have been building a new man cave! I have it almost finished, in the meantime I have finished the winter diorama using the MiniArt SU-85. This is only my second tank build, it's not a bad little kit apart from the rubbish plastic tracks that were a fiddle to build. It was an experiment in modelling ice and snow, I used 5 minute epoxy for the icicles and tried a product called Krycell for the snow from a company called Precision Ice and Snow. Anyway it dragged on far too long and I am glad it's finished, overall I am happy with how it came out.

Wear your winter woolies before looking at the pictures, I won't be held responsible for any frostbite claims LOL:penguin:

UEmx9qh.jpg
xZvoADK.jpg
qoZyqHz.jpg
veoS1FT.jpg
P4hk0w4.jpg
KlrGvug.jpg
C6zFLUX.jpg
hUfV6JZ.jpg
YWxqTDE.jpg
zHbpZTr.jpg
T7rXR0c.jpg
fqcAjoj.jpg
DHRjPUh.jpg
DJs0eMW.jpg
fT0vur6.jpg
oDbCoY9.jpg
wf8jl95.jpg
pj5cp9t.jpg
LBhBVph.jpg
dvCVguO.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 20

That is very.........cool!...........sorry.... :coat:

Seriously though - you have created a really believable winter scene and your photography shows it off very well. Most impressive! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Lee,

That's a really effective scenario.

I'll be having my first play with PI&S products over the next few days, so I hope my efforts end up looking as good as yours.

Cheers

H

• Like 1

Now that has made me feel frozen to the bone

be they your Allie or Enemy - these were heroes. This diorama has left me thinking how lucky we are to live in the world as we now know it; how did mankind learn to adapt to such appalling conditions of suffering and decimation.

A beautiful model - This diorama tells a very sad story

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I saw this back in February but didn't have time to comment, so I'm grateful for the opportunity to comment now, especially with the new photos.

Your snow drifts, coverings and accumulations are all perfect. I especially love how the snow has 'grown' around the barbed wire on the fence, how it 'mushrooms' on the tops of the fence posts. It does make me shiver too.. I've just been feeding and watering horses in ankle deep mud and the remains of snow and that's not a patch on the sub-zero temperatures you have depicted. Your diorama is very evocative.

Forget jungle or desert warfare, fighting in the Russian winter is my idea of hell.

My only criticism, if I may be so bold, concerns the icicles. While some are great, there are a few that let the rest down... not just in their shape, or how they 'hang', but also where they have been placed. I'm wondering if it is somehow possible to make 'precision' plasticine moulds for icicles, pouring the glue into them?

Rearguards,

Badder

2 hours ago, Badder said:

I saw this back in February but didn't have time to comment, so I'm grateful for the opportunity to comment now, especially with the new photos.

Your snow drifts, coverings and accumulations are all perfect. I especially love how the snow has 'grown' around the barbed wire on the fence, how it 'mushrooms' on the tops of the fence posts. It does make me shiver too.. I've just been feeding and watering horses in ankle deep mud and the remains of snow and that's not a patch on the sub-zero temperatures you have depicted. Your diorama is very evocative.

Forget jungle or desert warfare, fighting in the Russian winter is my idea of hell.

My only criticism, if I may be so bold, concerns the icicles. While some are great, there are a few that let the rest down... not just in their shape, or how they 'hang', but also where they have been placed. I'm wondering if it is somehow possible to make 'precision' plasticine moulds for icicles, pouring the glue into them?

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks for the your interest,i respect your concern regarding the icicles,it was my first attempt at them,and i think i over did them a bit,but i wanted to depict old icicles that had been melting and refreezing and melting and refreezing over a period of a week or so and factor in a bitter gale all make some of the classic shapes go a little off,but that's just my imagination running wild LOL !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...