1/700 Trumpeter HMS Dreadnought1907

Hi all, I thought I'd post images of the first in a series of maritime themed models I built for Airfix Model World magazine last year. As a nipper I used to enjoy building warships as much as aircraft however over the years aircraft became the main area of interest but when the editor asked me if I'd like to build a few maritime models for the magazine I couldn't resist and a thoroughly enjoyable experience it was. This must be the first ship I've built since the late 1960's and things have understandably changed quite a bit. The Trumpeter kit is rather nice but due to restrictions in moulding in this scale some details were a bit basic and somewhat clunky so armed with a mixture of PE, metal parts, Artwox decking,  Uschi van der Rosten 'Superfine' rigging line, some scratch-building and a fair bit of patience the kit was enhanced as much as possible without me losing my eyesight or what's left of my sanity. A noticeable omission from the kit was the upright 'bars' that run along the hull sides in most photos I have of the ship at this period but an editorial deadline precluded these from being added. The superb Kagero book provided reference for deck equipment, stowage and the rigging pattern. The two main lines running to the main mast from bow to stern were partly multi threaded (eight strand) held apart by star frames in reality but again time was a factor in finishing it and this would have taken too much time to achieve satisfactorily.

A great fun kit to build, must admit I really like these 1/700th tiddlers, I also have the 1/350th version which I'll build at some point, should really be able to have some fun detailing that as it seems huge by comparison......

Thanks for looking and hope you like it.....plenty more to come.:cheers:

Melchie....(over from the Dark Side)

DSC_0641_zpsvgg3msjx.jpg

DSC_0610_zps2qaosyjx.jpg

DSC_0630_zps1kvflnci.jpg

DSC_0626-001_zps1cit3b2m.jpg

DSC_0598_zps3u6amnay.jpg

DSC_0597_zpswyqule1t.jpg

Did I mention it's not very big.....

DSC_0613_zpsbvklrqqo.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 39

Great little Dreadnought !

Naval modelling is fun and a good change from aircraft modelling, i am looking forward to your next "floaty" one.

Nowadays 1:700 don t mean crude and lesser detailed, there are really nice kits on the market.

• Like 1

Thanks Joseph and Bernd you're quite right, naval stuff is great fun and makes a pleasant change from my more usual aircraft and sci-fi and enjoy just about every form of modelling, more than happy to tackle any subject that piques my interest. I'm in awe of many of these amazing machines and the folks who design, crew and develop them then enjoy the process of researching and modelling . Not really bothered about scale as long as the subject matter interests me. It's amazing what's now available in 1/700th with interesting high quality vessels being released all the time. 

Hopefully have another 'floater' for you very soon....

• Like 1

Thanks chaps,

Kev, looking at your work, very inspiring. I see you're working on a scratch Fairmile D, as far as I know I'll be sent the Coastal Craft kit at some point this year to review and build, should be a lot of fun.......going to seem strange working in the bigger scale though !

I look forward to your review of the Coastal Craft kit.

40 minutes ago, general melchett said:

I see you're working on a scratch Fairmile D,

only semi scratch I'm afraid. Hull from MTB hulls and I've used  Coastal Craft fittings to a point.

Kev

• Like 1

So now it's Admiral Melchett? I was more than impressed with the beauty anyway but blown away when I realised the size of

her next to the paint pot,pure inspiration for any maritime modeller!

• Like 1

Clogged, thanks I've also got all the bits for the 1/350th version, should be a lot of fun along with a 1/200th Nelson...slight contrast there.

Steve, I'm only a rear-end admiral at the moment, need a few more under my belt before promotion to the dizzying heights of admiralship methinks....... it is small but like Baldrick perfectly formed and very nicely packaged.....:speechless:

Thanks for the kind comments chaps, 

Clogged, I thought a year was probably near the mark but now with the amount of kit parts and even more PE and metal stuff not to mention rigging I'm now thinking maybe a tad longer, ...it would look rather nice sat in it's re-enforced concrete display cabinet !

Didn't see that one coming Melchie! Great model though. Methinks we need to see more of your ship builds.

Cheers Martian, yes can't let the grass grow under yer plates you know.....there are many floaty boaty things planned for this year in several scales, (not sure if you saw it but I had the 1/700th Tamiya Saratoga CV-3 in last month's AMW which I'll be posting here quite soon) also a few other subjects to keep the juices flowing.

Thanks Murdo glad you like it, 

How did you get the waterline so straight? 

Two strips of 18mm Tamiya tape and airbrush set to low psi (about 14, 1 bar), two or three misted coats at about six inches distance. 

Melchie