1/700 Trumpeter HMS Dreadnought1907

Thanks Our Man in Tanzanias....still in exile eh, has the FO not given you a date when it's safe to return to this septic Isle without fear of immediate arrest, summary execution and cessation of chocolate rations ?

Should be splicing me main sail, heaving to and firing orf a broadside pretty soon.....(in English we say 'more ships soon').

• Like 1

Well I'd be blown, never knew that your talents reached as far as modelling ships Andy, very nicely done as well, I think ship modelling is, you either love it or loath it, I have only done one ship model and I take my hat of to many a ship builder especially all the added railings, all the fiddly stuff and not to mention rigging, and I thought rigging a bi-plane was bad enough, but an entire ship.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, 

Clogged, I use Uschi Van Rosten elasticated rigging line, a mixture of 'standard' and superfine' (mostly superfine for this scale), amazing stuff, expensive but well worth the outlay. To apply it I use two fine nosed tweezers, '45 sec' CA applied with a needle reversed so that the eye holds a tiny amount of fluid, I then apply some glue to the part (say yard-arm), pull the line over it with one pair of tweezers then with the other pull the line taut very slightly, wrap the other end of the line around the other part, apply a dab of CA pull taut again and snip the line which will retract back so as not to leave a loose end. It takes a bit of practice and takes longer to describe than actually do.... but it's not nearly as hard as it may sound. Having a well thought out plan is vital though so I found it best to work from the inner section of the model to the outer AND above all keep things equal otherwise you'll end up with too much tension on one side and tears will flow. 

Kev, funnily enough I enjoy modelling just about anything that grabs me mainly aircraft but maritime, space launch systems, sci-fi, pre historic creatures figures, AFV's and even trucks and top fuel dragsters are fair game. I just think the variety keeps things fresh and tops up your air brushing techniques. I've got a lot more subjects planned for this year including many more diverse subjects which I hope will be of interest to a few folks.

Thanks Dave, just a bit of patience, steady hand and a good quality daylight magnifier lamp helps. I've always enjoyed using PE and resin, bit strange I suppose but it offers so much more delicate detail than plastic ever can..

Cheers all,:cheers:

Melchie... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks chaps, 

Clogged, I use Uschi Van Rosten elasticated rigging line, a mixture of 'standard' and superfine' (mostly superfine for this scale), amazing stuff, expensive but well worth the outlay.

Totally agree. Excellent stuff! Takes glue well and very robust.

• Like 1

Andy, I'm currently building 1/350th, 1/200th, 1/144th and 1/72nd vessels and of all the scales I definitely enjoy 1/700th the most. I think it's the challenge of seeing just how much detail you can add without going stir crazy...everyone expects a larger scale model to be crammed to the gunwales with detail, particularly the 1/200th monsters and whilst they are enjoyable I find the smaller stuff a lot more fun. 

Great to hear that you feel inspired, everyone should have a go at one of these at some point. Keep at it and post your work here, look forward to seeing them.....

• Like 2

She's a beauty. I started my first ever ship model proper last year, Combrig's 1/700 HMS Canada I've basically stalled at the coming up to the painting stage due to lack of time. I agree with your comments about enjoying the challenges at this scale. I've enjoyed the whole different way of working from aircraft models.

• Like 1

Thanks James, yes there's something quite hypnotic about ships in this scale and they do make a refreshing change from aircraft. Also having fun with dio sea bases, something else a bit different from what I'm used to. Look forward to seeing your Canada finished, a great looking battlewagon.  Good to catch up at Hudderfield too.

Thanks Graham...funnily enough I'd made them up using the Memsahib's finest denier hosiery, (had a hell of a job getting her to stand still long enough to get a decent piece)and promptly forgot to attach !, when I have a moment I'll add them and post an image or two.

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1