US equivalent colours on lend lease RAF/RAAF aircraft

sapperastro

Hello all,

I am about to make a 1/48 P51 Mustang mark K from the 3rd squadron, RAAF, in Italy 1944. The colours on the net have alluded to US equivalent colours of Olive drab (seems different to USAF olive drab) over 'Sea grey' with 'Light grey' underside. Does anyone know what the correct Humbrol/Colourcoat paints might be for this?

good question (I have the airfix raf mustang ready to go), the colours used are often quoted as ANA613, ANA603 and ANA602, which equate to humbrol 155, 126 and 129 in my book. Colourcoats I believe have them as the modern federal standard equivalents

ANA602 Light Grey - ACUS01 FS26440 Light Gull Grey 

ANA603 Sea Grey - ACUS14 FS26440 Gunship Grey

ANA613 Olive Drab - ACUS15 Olive Drab 41

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

I did this when I modelled the Airfix P-51D as a 112 sqn Mk IV in Italy & have a photo of some humbrol colours matched to Monogram paint chips for the US equivalent colours. Photobucket seems to be playing silly buggers just now but when it deigns to come back I'll put this up here.

Steve.

• Like 1

PB seems OK now so here is a link to the paint matches I did for my mustang build. Scroll on down & you'll see that the camo pattern is non standard as Graham has mentioned, The one I've used which was also used by some 3 sqn Mustangs was known as the Firewall pattern because of the demarcation line in front of the cockpit. Some 3 sqn Mustangs also used what was called the Loop pattern, you really need a photo reference to the plane you're intending to model to determine which one it used.

Steve.

• Like 2

Wow, thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated. I am really looking forward to this one. And thank you very much for the pictures Steve.

Regards,

Greg

Edit; Steve, it is the older 'CV-P' which I believe was a 'loop' pattern. The new plane that the pilot flew was in the metal finish, of which there are plenty of pictures (but not the one I plan to do).

Edited by sapperastro

Hi Greg, nothing in the Listeman book on CV-P, I'm guessing you're referring to the earlier machine thus coded, serial KH677 but quite a bit on it on another of the 3 sqn pages which I linked to earlier, this one, still in ANA colours but a third camo scheme which appears to have had very limited application of which CV-P ( CV-◊ later)  was one, the page has a profile of this machine.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

Were all RAF green & grey Mustangs painted in the USA? I am specifically wondering about a Scotland based Mustang III in early 1945. It would be quite refreshing to use the US colo(u)rs, but I'd rather my model was right :)

I believe they were all painted in the USA before delivery, but what happened after that is another matter.  I've seen a statement that ones in the UK were repainted, although I don't really understand why, and did not have the distinct pattern seen in the ME.

• Like 1

Yes indeed. I have those decals here and they are the set which is going on the finished model. As stated on the website you linked to, the exact scheme is not known due to the dearth of pictures for the aircraft, which is actually good as it allows me some artistic license. Looking forward to forging ahead now. Thanks again mate.

• Like 1