RS Models Rota and S&M Models Sycamore

My first completions of the year - the RS Models 1/72 Avro Rota in Swiss civil markings - the fuselage is a touch over 4 ins long, by the way - and a pair of S&M Models 1/72 Bristol Sycamore, RAF and German Navy versions. These are magazine reviews, so just the single photos and no words....;)

rota01_zpsfvtzljup.jpg

sycamores01_zpsgnsih0k9.jpg

Edited by Paul Bradley
Speeeling.....
  • Like 38

Hi Paul: 

Congratulations for your three Wonderful builds, for sure just for the articles dealing with what you did and what you can show there, those builds are worthy the magazine where they will be published!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso 

• Like 1

Very nice, Paul.  I particularly like the Sycamores. Interesting, though, that the decals (which I presume come with the kit) show '380 in the spurious 202 Sqn markings. Is there a 275 Sqn option in the kit?  I gather the 202 Sqn mallard badges were applied during the aircraft's time as a 'gate guard' for the SAR Wing HQ at Finningley, which was an odd decision as 202 never operated the Sycamore.  However, I know from experience that many military people aren't especially historically aware.  Yet another example (like the 'RAF SAR' Wessex 3) of a kit manufacturer using a preserved example as a reference, I suppose.

Jon

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

My first completions of the year - the RS Models 1/72 Avro Rota in Swiss civil markings - the fuselage is a touch over 4 ins long, by the way - and a pair of S&M Models 1/72 Bristol Sycamore, RAF and German Navy versions. These are magazine reviews, so just the single photos and no words....;)

rota01_zpsfvtzljup.jpg

sycamores01_zpsgnsih0k9.jpg

Not sure, may be the photo,   but to me the yellow  colour looks wrong, should be more "orangy."  The Correct colour was  BS381c 356 Golden Yellow. That looks a bit like Lemon yellow  BS 381c355  to me.

Selwyn

Fair comment about the colour shade, Selwyn, but I remember that the Sea Kings seemed to vary in hue between aircraft, and even between different sections of the same aircraft.  I can't imagine that the Sycamores were any different, and this looks right to me.

BTW, if you get the opportunity to visit Aeroventure at Doncaster then you could do worse than to have a good look at the 275 Sqn Sycamore that Nige & co have nearly finished restoring - it's stunning.

Jon

Edited by Jonners

5 hours ago, Jonners said:

Fair comment about the colour shade, Selwyn, but I remember that the Sea Kings seemed to vary in hue between aircraft, and even between different sections of the same aircraft.  I can't imagine that the Sycamores were any different, and this looks right to me.

BTW, if you get the opportunity to visit Aeroventure at Doncaster then you could do worse than to have a good look at the 275 Sqn Sycamore that Nige & co have nearly finished restoring - it's stunning.

Jon

Jonners,

I think the golden yellow colour weathered but i think looked more washed out than a lemon colour.

Been a couple of times to aeroventure over the last few years, I'm in Manchester so its effectively my closest a/c museum.

Selwyn

Cheers, guys.  The yellow is a bit pale, on reflection - as I didn't have a Golden Yellow, I added a little Int. Orange to my Insignia Yellow, but I was perhaps a bit too careful about the amount of orange I added. Funnily enough, the Int. Orange in the photo looks too red to me in this photo - I can't win!

• 3 weeks later...