Martin EB57B airfix 1/48

OK, I've been building this for a few weeks now, and taking a few snaps as I go, and I'm making some progress. So I'll try my hand at making a thread here. I didn't want to start too soon, and then crash n burn.

Not even sure I can paste pictures on here, but there's only one way to find out...

Edited by rob Lyttle
correction

Can't believe I done that!IMG_20170114_124855_zpskva8gu2l.jpg so, I managed a photobucket paste, but most of the pictures are on flickr. Have to see what I can do 

This is the main airframe assembly covered in aluminium foil, with a ton of nails, nuts, and milliput installed up front. Just the cockpit tub installed, the seats etc can go in later.

• Like 1

Never had any intention of building the ugly monster illustrated on the box. As stated elsewhere, I love doing natural Ali finish and I like the big, bold, confident markings of the 1950s, and the USAF were as bold and colourful as any!

It's most unlikely I'll be covering a lovely plane in splodges of muddy green and brown any time soon 

• Like 2

IMG_20170130_232015

Looking at pictures for reference, I thought the fin needed blending to the fuse. Results a bit rough, but I had a go 

Regret the hiviz red shows through the white star a little -- should ve seen that coming.

It's a learning curve, and I'm on it 

IMG_20161231_002606

This is a bunch of n nails being installed in the side of the fuselage, without fouling the cockpit tub. Same in the other side. 8mm nuts and milliput in the nose cone adds to the effort of keeping the tail up. This plane is a real tail sitter. instructions indicate 100g- I didn't check but I'm sure it's at least that.

Tried to get a bit of detail on the cockpit Walls. That office was crammed with stuff front and back 

Bit of scribing required on the totally blank tailplanes - at least you don't have to fill wrong ones first!

I.m not effective at removing a good trench, but covered in foil, it comes up like a weld line. Certainly not going as deep as the airfix lines elsewhere.

Getting a bit of shine and reflection going on the metalwork 

IMG_20170125_134449

The red panels look better than this. I'll try some daylight/ sunshine photos 

Little flap operating levers added to the flaps to reinforce the joints. In the lowered position, there's no surface area to glue, just edge to edge, and filing a surface shortens the flap.

IMG_20170127_235143

So the extra support is a great help. I also left a strip of the covering foil beyond the hinge line on each flap, and stuck it down onto the wing to complete each joint.

These are the parts I'm cobbling together for the underwing chaff dispenser pods. 

IMG_20170128_221026

It's made of a round - nose bomb cut in half for a front and tail, and the body of a rocket dispenser. All supplied amongst the copious amount of ordnance included in the box.

IMG_20170204_141315

Buffed up, foiled, and fitted. Maybe not perfect scale, but it looks close enough for me.

This brilliant photo helped with position of the chaff dispensers.

I hadn't opened any of the underwing pylon stations, so I trimmed off the tab on the pylon, marked up the position, and removed the foil to give me plastic to plastic joint. A super glue joint is only as good as the foil to plastic adhesion, and I've had failures of this type before.

landinghawaii1969-3

Quite a bit of "weathering" underneath!!

I should say, credit for this pic is to B-57canberra.org

Brilliant collection of photos and stories of the USAF b57s

Edited by rob Lyttle
picture credit
  • Like 1

7bfcba4c-2266-4e7a-a4ea-e19734f277dd.jpg

Well, I just been trying out the village.photo hosting site, following a recommendation on here. This is a test run, and I'm not slick at this!

But I have to say it seems pretty trouble free. No pop-up crap and ads etc. It took me a while, but that's probably down to me and my touchscreen phone!😃

You managed to post the photo though, so you're doing ok ;)

I believe there was some buzz about the decals being oversized at the time of release, but I can't remember what the outcome was.  Don't think Airfix did anything about it, and can't remember if there was an aftermarket set to correct Airfix's decal artist's (and QC) cockup :doh:

Looks like you could do with a bit more light on the subject when you take the photos though :photo: Every camera loves light, as it makes its job that much easier, and helps it focus better :)

Thanks for that Mike. A bit of sunshine would be just the ticket for photos!

I've been doing OK with flickr - and passed on a bit of encouragement to a few others. You must be scratching your head wondering what's wrong with these people!!!

There's no doubt it just takes perseverance. It's a foreign language we gotta learn.

Did I tell you that I bought a book on Amazon ( the Mosquito Log) last year, and ended up getting 3 of them?! It was still a bargain though ..

Somebody mentioned village.photo in a help forum and I thought I'd take a punt , seems to be OK 

A bit more progress, including having a go at making up a windscreen wiper for the front screen. I think it needs a little bit of enhancing.

Some fun with the black line demarcation transfers on the wings. At one point I wished I'd never bothered! Bit of tidying required.

Need to figure out the canopy raising mechanism, how the ram attaches to the canopy. Loads of pictures but it is hard to see exactly what's going on in there.

IMG_20170247_121223

Edited by rob Lyttle

I KNOW! My dad worked at Shorts for decades - he must have been building the Canberras that were subcontracted there. Think I was too young to notice those, but I sure remember the Belfast s stooging around over head as I was going to school! That was some plane! MoD made an error of judgement there 

• 2 weeks later...